by way of an introduction...

  • Eric Jackson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2004
      When The Panama News did a reader poll earlier this year, the most
      requested new feature was classified ads. The problem was that the
      amount of labor required bears no reasonable relationship to the
      amount of money that can be made.

      But now I have created a Yahoo group, on which just about anybody can
      post an email ad, free of charge. You need not belong to read the
      advertising messages posted, which you will reach by clicking on
      the "Unclassified Ads" hyperlink starting with the next issue of The
      Panama News. (If you are an early bird, whether or not you are fond
      of worms, you can go there right now at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanamaUnclassifiedAds/ .)

      I won't have the time to closely monitor the list, but I will
      periodically remove old ads and do my best to suppress fraudulent
      messages and deny access to scam artists, people who use the list for
      other than its intended purpose, saboteurs and trolls. I also don't
      want to see any vices advertised, whether they be legal ones like
      alcohol, tobacco, prostitution, gambling or pharmaceutical drugs, and
      especially illegal ones like banned substances or pornography. Nor do
      I want to see any vulgarity in the messages. Nor is this a site for
      people looking for sex, love, or political or religious converts.

      With those caveats, this service IS for people who have something to
      buy or sell, to give away or find, or who are offering or seeking
      employment. If you have an event to announce, better to send the
      information to editor@... so that it can be included in
      The Panama News calendar (or if it's newsworthy enough, for inclusion
      in our arts or community sections).

      Do not abuse this service, and help me police the Unclassified Ads
      board by letting me know if others break the rules. And please beware
      and exercise due diligence, because I lack the time and resources to
      check out, let alone vouch for, things that will be promoted in this
      new feature of The Panama News.

      free to use it. The button to connect with these ads won't be posted
      on The Panama News until volume 10, issue 17 is uploaded, which will
      be on or about the evening of September 5.

      Eric Jackson
      editor, The Panama News