  • ramvinod_paragi
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
      Message
      Hi,

      I have brought a new FIAT palio Diesel (ELX model) on
      May 31, 2004 from Sundaram Motors, Bangalore
      authorised FIAT showroom. I had done around 3000 KMs
      by Aug 3, 2004. All of a sudden on Aug 4, 2004 my car
      caught fire early in the morning around 6 am while it
      was parked in my parking area. I had parked the car
      previous night in the parking area and engine was
      turned off properly. In the morning I observed huge
      smoke and fire coming from engine bay. I could able to
      put off the fire after struggling for half an hour and
      by that time the whole engine bay has been burnt. I
      registered a complaint with local police and then got
      in touch with Sundaram Motors. I took the vehicle to
      their reapir shop. Service manager from Sundaram,
      works manager from Sundaram along with two service
      engineers from FIAT have come to the garage and
      inspected the vehicle and spoke to me. They said it is
      highly difficult to find out the reason for this fire
      as the whole engine is burnt. I argued with them that
      how a new two months old could burn like this that too
      a diesel vehicle. They said it could be becasue of a
      short circuit. I asked them to replace the car with a
      new one. They convinced me saying that the passenger
      bay of the car is intact and whole of engine bay could
      be repainted and repaired with new parts. They
      convinced me to claim the insurance and they clearly
      promised me that any amount that insurance does not
      pay will be given by FIAT company in order to reduce
      my financial loss. In good faith and assurance made by
      them I dropped other ideas and went ahead with
      insurance claim for repair. They took 2.5 months to
      repair the whole thing and in meanwhile I called many
      a times sundaram service manager to check the status
      and about the amount that company will bear. I was
      getting reply saying that let car be ready and the
      difference amount will be taken care. Accordingly I
      kept quiet. For past 4 days I was following up with
      sundaram for delivery of car, Yesterday car was ready
      for delivery. I spoke to Sundaram manager and FIAT
      service engineer about the difference amount and I got
      to know that the company has rejeceted the request and
      I was told that I should bear cost from my hand, which
      left me shattered and disappointed. The difference
      amount comes to around Rs60000 to Rs70000, which I
      cannot bear. I felt it is a pure cheating done by
      Sundaram and FIAT service engineers. I should have
      been informed this in the beginning itself so that I
      could have changed my decision and gone ahead with a
      legal process. I lost 2.5 momnths of valuable time and
      above this now I have to bear financial loss with out
      any fault of mine. I did not take the delivery of the
      car.

      Please suggest me what is the best way in this
      situation to proceed. I am totally disgusted and
      shattered after going through all this.
      Please let me know if you any of you had come across this before and what needs to be done.

      I await for your reply. Please do reply.

      Warm Regards,

      Ram Vinod

    • r a
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
        I think there is no other way other than a legal case.
        these companies are not to be relied on.
        may be some pressure from this group could help.
        heard there was a similar case with a Ford Ikon too.
        this is realy a bizzare case .. have they figured out the cause of
        the fire ??
        if they claim its a short circuit then they have to point out where
        the short occured.
        the entire wiring takes supply via fusable links. Only the starter
        and selonoid do not have a fuse.
        there has to be something wrong with one of these or the battery or
        somebody was trying to tamper with your car. its just not explainable
        otherwise.
        regards
        Ryan

        --- In PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com, "ramvinod_paragi"

      • Maruthi R Janardhan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004

          Hey Ram,
                  We saw this on the Indiacar site sometime back. Felt really sorry for you and this is the only incident we have heard of this type. Anyway firstly you should not have accepted for a repair because a repaired car is never going to be as good as a new one. You should not have settled for a repaired car.

          However, now that u have settled for a repaired car.. dont let FIAT get away without paying atleast for the repairs. On this forum, by experience we know that FIAT does not give way without a little bit of shouting and threatening. Ensure that u tell them you will take them to the Consumer court. It helps a great deal if you have a written document from sundaram claiming that they will get FIAT to pay for the difference.

          Looking at the legal angle... this is not a candidate for Insurence claim AT ALL! I am surprised how the insurence company agreed. I suggest you take this approach:

          1. Firstly get a letter from Sundarm regarding what they think is the cause for the incident. Get them to write that "Short circuit" explanation in a letter".
          2. Once you have this letter.. you have a classic case because such a thing is not a Insurence claim candidate. Rather is a result of manufacturing defect and comes under the Warranty clause. You can now tell them that u will to consumer court with this case and also claim all the legal charges that u incurr.

          Insurence comes in only when the car is burnt due to external fire or accident. It does not come into picture if the car burns itself because of a short circuit. Infact you can tell the Insurence company about this case and they will also come running to sue FIAT and recover their money back.

          cheers
          Maruthi

          "ramvinod_paragi" <ramvinod_paragi@...>

          10/28/2004 10:05 AM

          Please respond to
          PalioUsersIndia

          <PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com>
          cc
          Subject
          [PalioUsersIndia]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • prafullp
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
            Hi Ram,

            No doubt you have been taken for a ride. I would think that the
            Sundaram is more to blame than FIAT. These guys are real #$%#%@#

            But have you got any things on paper here to get the issues resolved,
            such as the assuarnce by Sundaram? More importanatly, Did you get the
            Insurance involved in getting the estimates of repairs etc?

            Fire in the engine compartments is not new, although I do not know
            why they happen (I have seen a brand new Esteem bellowing smoke from
            bonnet in the early hours of one morning, by the time the owner/Fire
            brigade arrived, the car was completely burnt)

            You are in a sticky situation. You may have to go the consumer court.

            Prafull.

            <ramvinod_paragi@i...> wrote:
> [...]
            > I was told that I should bear cost from my hand, which
            > left me shattered and disappointed. The difference
            > amount comes to around Rs60000 to Rs70000, which I
            > cannot bear. I felt it is a pure cheating done by
            > Sundaram and FIAT service engineers. I should have
            > been informed this in the beginning itself so that I
            > could have changed my decision and gone ahead with a
            > legal process. I lost 2.5 momnths of valuable time and
            > above this now I have to bear financial loss with out
            > any fault of mine. I did not take the delivery of the
            > car.
            >
            > Please suggest me what is the best way in this
            > situation to proceed. I am totally disgusted and
            > shattered after going through all this.
            >
            > Please let me know if you any of you had come across this before and
            > what needs to be done.
            >
            > I await for your reply. Please do reply.

          • Rajesh LG
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
              Have you installed any electrical fittings or altered the wiring in
              anyway outside the authorised service center ? If not, sue them for
              manufacturing defect causing the fire.

              If you have tampered with the wiring, then you can't really blame fiat.

              Rajesh

              --- In PalioUsersIndia@yahoogroups.com, "r a" <ryanalmeida@g...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > I was told that I should bear cost from my hand, which
              > > left me shattered and disappointed. The difference
              > > amount comes to around Rs60000 to Rs70000, which I
              > > cannot bear. I felt it is a pure cheating done by
              > > Sundaram and FIAT service engineers. I should have
              > > been informed this in the beginning itself so that I
              > > could have changed my decision and gone ahead with a
              > > legal process. I lost 2.5 momnths of valuable time and
              > > above this now I have to bear financial loss with out
              > > any fault of mine. I did not take the delivery of the
              > > car.
              > >
              > > Please suggest me what is the best way in this
              > > situation to proceed. I am totally disgusted and
              > > shattered after going through all this.
              > >
              > > Please let me know if you any of you had come across this before and
              > > what needs to be done.
              > >
              > > I await for your reply. Please do reply.

            • karthic venkattasamy
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 28, 2004
                Ram,

                In addition to the info that Maruthi has said,
                Get the copy of the insurance claim form
                that would have been fwd by the Sundaram Guys.

                Regards
                Karthic

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail