bhikkhu=beggar?

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 4, 2006
      --- Ole Holten Pind <oleholtenpind@...> skrev:

      > The word bhikkhu is derived from the verbal root
      > bhik.s "to beg" a
      > desiderative form of bhaj "divide, share." A bhikkhu
      > is a beggar monk.Such
      > monks are also known to the christian tradition.

      From a stricty etymological point of view, yes; but
      the Dhammapada says "na tena bhikkhu hoti yaavataa
      bhikkhate pare", which seems to me to tell us that
      etymology is not everything.

      Gunnar
    • madan tandon
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 18, 2006
        ASURA does not find its origin in Persian. Asura is a Sanskrit word meaning:- spiritual , incorporeal , divine RV. AV. VS. ; m. a spirit , good spirit , supreme spirit (and more). Asura find its origins starting from Vedic to classic ot modern Sanskrit.
        RV= RigaVeda

        with love,
        biloo_5

        Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
        --- joseph <jothiko@...> skrev:

        > the word Asura certainly found it's origin in the
        > persian Ahura,

        Or vice versa, or perhaps the two words just have the
        same origin in an older, common Indo-Iranian language.
        The zoroastrian word for "demon", by the way, is
        "daeva" - same as "deva". (On the other hand, the old
        Greek "daimons" - from which comes English "demon" -
        were not necessarily evil; Socrates had a high regard
        for his daimon.)

        > logical enough, the enemies god is ones devil.

        According to some theory, the daevas and ahuras in
        ancient Iranian religion perhaps had the same roles as
        the devas en asuras in ancient Indian one to begin
        with, but Zoroaster put it all upside down.

        In any case, Persian is an Indo-European language, so
        it is closer to Pali than to Hebrew.

        Gunnar

        Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

        Pali Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism