Virupa: Pure land or Theravada? Who is a Thera?

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 4 9:06 AM
      --- Bankei <bankei@...> skrev:

      > I beleive Virupa is ordained in a Japanese Pure Land
      > traditon, and therefore
      > the word 'Priest' may be more suitable in that case.

      When looking through the messages again, I see that
      sometimes he subskribes his name plus the title
      "Thera". In Theravada tradition, calling oneself Thera
      means claiming to be a fully ordained Theravada
      bhikkhu for att least ten years; so taking him for a
      Theravada bhikkhu is actually quite natural.

      Outside the Theravada tradition, but inside the Pali
      one, the "Altbuddhistische Gemeinde" in Germany used,
      and perhaps still uses, to call its founder Georg
      Grimm "der Mahathero", but this is not Theravada usage
      of the word. A Mahathera has been fully ordained for
      at least twenty years, and Grimm was never ordained at
      all, as far as I know.

      As Virupa in a later message tells us he is married,
      he is by definition not a Thera according to the
      Theravada use of the word, and when writing to a list
      where most members are mainly interested in Theravada,
      he is confusing matters by using this title.

      Gunnar
    • madan tandon
      Message 45 of 45 , Feb 18 11:23 AM
        ASURA does not find its origin in Persian. Asura is a Sanskrit word meaning:- spiritual , incorporeal , divine RV. AV. VS. ; m. a spirit , good spirit , supreme spirit (and more). Asura find its origins starting from Vedic to classic ot modern Sanskrit.
        RV= RigaVeda

        with love,
        biloo_5

        Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
        --- joseph <jothiko@...> skrev:

        > the word Asura certainly found it's origin in the
        > persian Ahura,

        Or vice versa, or perhaps the two words just have the
        same origin in an older, common Indo-Iranian language.
        The zoroastrian word for "demon", by the way, is
        "daeva" - same as "deva". (On the other hand, the old
        Greek "daimons" - from which comes English "demon" -
        were not necessarily evil; Socrates had a high regard
        for his daimon.)

        > logical enough, the enemies god is ones devil.

        According to some theory, the daevas and ahuras in
        ancient Iranian religion perhaps had the same roles as
        the devas en asuras in ancient Indian one to begin
        with, but Zoroaster put it all upside down.

        In any case, Persian is an Indo-European language, so
        it is closer to Pali than to Hebrew.

        Gunnar

        Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

        Pali Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism