Re: [Pali] Re: AN1.16.1-94 Ekadhamma (2/11) - dhamma

  • Pali Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2006
      Dear Dmytro, Nina and friends,

      thanks for the reminder and the links. However, I do not see twenty-three
      meanings of 'dhamma', only three. And I summarise as follows:

      1. gu.na; virtue, good quality. In different commentaries, this is explained
      as kusala kamma as opposed to akusala kamma. Kusala kamma is denoted as
      dhamma, and akusala kamma is denoted as adhamma.

      We read in the Atthasaalinii, 38:
      "Na hi dhammo adhammo ca, ubho samavipaakino;
      "Dhamma, adhamma bear no equal fruit;
      adhammo niraya.m neti, dhammo paapeti suggatim"ti.
      adhamma leads to inferno, dhamma causes one to reach heaven.
      (theragaa. 304; jaa. 1.15.386)

      2. pariyatti; the wording of the teachings as contained in the Tipitaka.
      Pariyattidhamma includes the ninefold classification of the teachings
      (sutta, geyya, etc.), which is a classification according to literary
      styles.

      3. nissatta, nijjiva; an entity without a living soul.

      Dhammapada-Atthakata:
      "Tasmi.m khopana samaye dhammaa honti, khandhaa hontii"ti (dha. sa. 121)
      Then, at that time dhammas occur, aggregates occur.

      aya.mnissattadhammo naama, nijjiivadhammotipi eso eva.
      this is dhamma without living being (non-substantial), it is also truly
      dhamma without life.

      Tesu imasmi.m .thaane nissattanijjiivadhammo adhippeto.
      As to these, dhamma without a living soul is meant in this case.

      So atthato tayo aruupino khandhaa vedanaakkhandho sa~n~naakkhandho
      sa'nkhaarakkhandhoti.
      As to the meaning of this, there are the three mental aggregates of feeling,
      remembrance and formations (all cetasikas apart from feeling and
      remembrance).

      Ven. Buddhadatta has

      Dhamma (m.) doctrine; nature; truth; the norm; morality; good conduct.

      The PED gives two sets of meanings offered by Buddhaghosa.

      (I)
      1. gu.na; good conduct.
      2. desanaa; preaching and moral instruction.
      3. pariyatti; 9-fold collection of Buddhist scriptures.
      4. nissatta(-nijjiivata); cosmic law.

      (II)
      1. pariyatti; doctrine as formulated.
      2. hetu; condition, causal antecedent.
      3. gu.na; moral quality or action.
      4. nissatta-nijiivataa; phenomenal.

      Accordingly, the second set is more adequate, hence dhamma has the following
      meanings:

      1. doctrine
      2. right or righteousness
      3. condition
      4. phenomenon

      The PED continues with the main applications of the words

      (1a) Psychologically/Subjective: mental attitude, thought, idea, philosophy,
      truth, Dhamma.

      (1b) Psychologically/Objective: substratum (of cognition), piece,
      constituent, constitution; phenomenon, thing, "world", cosmic order.

      (2a) Ratio-ethically/Objective: "rationality".

      (2b) Ratio-ethically/Subjective: "morality", right behaviour, righteousness,
      practice, duty; maxim, tenets, convictions, moral habits.

      Finally, dhamma may also be capitalised as Dhamma, meaning the Buddhist
      doctrine, the Buddhist scriptures, and one of the Triple-Gem.

      http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=20247