New Pali Text Reader release (0.0.9.9) -

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      Dear friends in Dhamma,

      I just wanted to let you know that we uploaded a major release of the Pali Text Reader software.

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/palireader/

      Please be aware that this is is the last "unstable" experimental version (alpha). The project now enters what is called a BETA phase. We hope to archieve some amount of functionality/stability during the next months. In other words, we are looking for you: anyone who can spare some moments and try the software - reporting bugs back to my address (palireader@... or this address) - i would realy appreciate any comments/ideas on how to improve the program's quality. Right now the program works only for Windows users, but a port to Unix/Linux and Mac is in the planning.

      Here is some info on the current version. fyi only:

      Here are some "new" or improved items:

      .)Preliminary dotLucene integration. Searching in the Tipitaka with the fastest open source search engine. Scored result ranking (yet limited to 10 highest hits) and direct opening of relevant books. There is also a classic (CSCD like) search in progress, which will also display frequencies of occurences and position information...)
      .)improved design and look-up mechanism of the free pali-english-pali dictionary,
      .)All Tipitaka books are now mapped and thus available from the book selection menu - by the way, the book selection has been greatly enhanced (also visually) - allowing custom information for each book - (there is still work left - if you want to write short informative text to some of the books, let me know)
      .)a font&page settings plugin - momentarily not much more than a proof of concept but eventually it will govern the style sheet information and thus allow a very flexible display of the Pali Texts
      .)...which themselves have been re-formatted (there is an offline formatting tool now, which allows conversion of CSCD texts into html) thus reducing time for opening texts and allowing some time consuming "artistic" effects on the texts which however, make the read nicer (like page information or alternative readings) -
      .)custom context menu already displays some of the features to come in BETA phase. However, you already are able to select pali words and can search for them in the dictionary via the context menu.
      .)nice feature too: copy and convert selected passages to Velthuis - this easy and quick transliteration makes it very simple to share your readings with friends who have no fonts/applications supporting unicode
      .)as we talk about unicode: the installer will install a beautiful free unicode font on your computer as well: Times Roman Extended - this is set as the default font for reading (just have a look at the style sheet in the "WORK" directory...
      .)This release has been tested on Windows XP (SP1 and SP2)

      mettâya,

      Lennart Lopin

      A short outlook on the first BETA version:

      .) heavily improved search / font plugins and two-page reading layout.
      .) final integration of postcanonical books and commentary/subcommentary "jumping to" from the mula text passages...
      .)and much much more :-)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
        Dear Lennart and friends,

        sadhu! Such projects are praise-worthy.

        Out of curiosity, can I get Times Roman Extended elsewhere without
        installing the program?

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Lopin wrote:

        I just wanted to let you know that we uploaded a major release of the
        Pali Text Reader software.

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/palireader/

        the installer will install a beautiful free unicode font on your
        computer as well: Times Roman Extended - this is set as the default
        font for reading
      • jchanida072
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006

          Prof. Charles Muller uploaded Times Extended Roman Fonts to his
          website temporarily here.

          http://www.acmuller.net/download/Timesx.ttf
          http://www.acmuller.net/download/Timesxbd.ttf
          http://www.acmuller.net/download/Timesxbi.ttf
          http://www.acmuller.net/download/Timesxi.ttf

          Hope this works.

          Best wishes,
          Chanida

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <yongpeng.ong@g...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Lennart and friends,
          >
          > sadhu! Such projects are praise-worthy.
          >
          > Out of curiosity, can I get Times Roman Extended elsewhere without
          > installing the program?
          >

          > metta,
          > Yong Peng.
          >

          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Lopin wrote:
          >
          > I just wanted to let you know that we uploaded a major release of the
          > Pali Text Reader software.
          >
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/palireader/
          >
          > the installer will install a beautiful free unicode font on your
          > computer as well: Times Roman Extended - this is set as the default
          > font for reading

        • Hugo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
            Hello Lennart,

            On 1/10/06, Lennart Lopin <lenni_lop@...> wrote:
            > .)as we talk about unicode: the installer will install a beautiful free unicode font on your computer as well: Times Roman Extended - this is set as the default font for reading (just have a look at the style sheet in the "WORK" directory...

            FYI, there is a font made for the Buddhist Publication Society, maybe
            it is useful for this project too:

            http://www.sanskritweb.net/fonts/#BPS

            This Pali font was custom-made to the specifications of the Buddhist
            Publication Society (BPS) in Kandy (Sri Lanka). It covers Pali,
            Sanskrit and Sinhala diacritical characters, prosody signs and the
            diacritical characters needed for writing in French and German.

            The detailed documentation is downloadable as PaPali.pdf.

            The font package (4 styles each) downloadable as PaPali.zip contains 3
            versions: TrueType (.ttf), PostScript Type 1 (.pfb) and OpenType
            (.ot). You may install all 3 versions at the same time. Use the
            version that looks best on your PC display screen.

            Note: This Pali font happens to include all diacritical characters
            required for typesetting Latin textbooks and dictionaries.

            --
            Hugo
          • Lennart Lopin
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
              sure - its freely available:

              http://www.bcca.org/services/fonts/

              here is a list with another unicode font collection (thanks to Frank Snow for the link)

              http://www.thdl.org/tools/diafonts.html

              i decided for times roman ext, because its font type is very common and has a nice and clear appearance on printed documents - not so much for online reading though (where sans serif types are usually easier to read)

              regards,

              Lennart
              Out of curiosity, can I get Times Roman Extended elsewhere without
              installing the program?

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Lopin wrote:

              I just wanted to let you know that we uploaded a major release of the
              Pali Text Reader software.

              http://sourceforge.net/projects/palireader/

              the installer will install a beautiful free unicode font on your
              computer as well: Times Roman Extended - this is set as the default
              font for reading

              Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
              [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
              [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

              Zen buddhism

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
                Dear Chanida, Lennart and friends,

                thanks for the links. I have updated the TN forge page.
                http://www.tipitaka.net/forge/