bhavissa.m ?

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      Dear friends

      Happy New Year.

      I got a question: is 'bhavissa.m' an alternative form
      for 'bhavissaami'?

      For the sentence 'bhavissa.m...ruupii
      bhavissa.m....,'The Book of Analysis (p.502) gives the
      following translation: 'I shall be ....I shall have
      form,...'

      I can't find an analysis for 'bhavissa.m' in my
      Pali-English and Pali-Japanese dictionaries. Maybe
      it's somewhere, but I can't find it. Please help.

      with a lot of metta

      Tzung-Kuen

      ___________________________________________________ 最新版 Yahoo!奇摩即時通訊 7.0,免費網路電話任你打! http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
        < is 'bhavissa.m' an alternative form
        for 'bhavissaami'? >

        Yes! There are more than just a handful of similar future forms in th canon.
        Please consult Geiger's Pali Grammar § 150ff. However, most of them occur in
        verse and are in my opinion due to metrical constraints. However, due to
        elision of syllabic /i/ from aami the metrically heavy syllable aam becomes
        a.m, which is equally heavy or long if you like.

        Best regards,

        Ole Pind
        _____

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=86813&pa
        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!