Greetings

  • samanerabaker@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hello all,

      My name is Ryan and I am from Ohio. I am in the process of being
      ordained through the Red Lotus Temple under Rev. Virupa Arya. We are a
      Theravadin Temple. I was wondering if I could find some information on learning Pali
      from the beginning. I unfortunately came upon this group too late, so I don't
      understand what is being learned now. Is there a beginning somewhere I should
      start? Thank you for any help, and I look forward to growing in knowledge of
      the Pali language with all of you.

      Sincerely,

      Samanera Ryan

    • Richard Meier
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2005
        There are several books for learning Pali, described
        in the Pali Language Aids section of
        www.accesstoinsight.org. One is actually free online,
        others can be bought from Pariyatti. Good luck, I
        just recently started learning myself, and find it a
        great adventure. Richard

        --- samanerabaker@... wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > My name is Ryan and I am from Ohio. I am in
        > the process of being
        > ordained through the Red Lotus Temple under Rev.
        > Virupa Arya. We are a
        > Theravadin Temple. I was wondering if I could find
        > some information on learning Pali
        > from the beginning. I unfortunately came upon this
        > group too late, so I don't
        > understand what is being learned now. Is there a
        > beginning somewhere I should
        > start? Thank you for any help, and I look forward
        > to growing in knowledge of
        > the Pali language with all of you.
        >

        > Sincerely,
        >

        > Samanera Ryan

        > removed]

        __________________________________
      • Harry Liew
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2005
          Hi Ryan,

          Welcome to this boat for beginners in learning Pali.

          Unaided, searches were made through the internet. There were numerous study materials. However, some couldn't be read because of special font requirement. After numerous searches, most required fonts were found.

          Then, materials that were initially discarded were found to be really good beginners materials, and almost all come from the present Pali study group. Then, there was a need to organize those materials for a systematic study. So a desktop organizer was crudely built for personal usage. Thinking that it might be useful for other beginners as well, it was rebuilt as a content management sytem for beginners and uploaded to a free website for feedback: http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/index.htm

          However, from feedback, users were still facing the same problem: fonts. Presently, all those materials are in the process of being converted under Velthuis Scheme.

          Please try this, a chapter of Charles Duroiselle's Pali Grammer under Velthuis, http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/chpt10_1.htm. The whole conversion exercise should be finished within a week and will be dedicated and offered to the Pali study group as a thank-you for thier contribution and help in learning Pali.

          Please write if you have any question. Off list if you wish.

          Cheers,

          Harry

          samanerabaker@... wrote:
          Hello all,

          My name is Ryan and I am from Ohio. I am in the process of being
          ordained through the Red Lotus Temple under Rev. Virupa Arya. We are a
          Theravadin Temple. I was wondering if I could find some information on learning Pali
          from the beginning.

          Pali Theravada buddhism Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

          ---------------------------------

        • rett
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2005
            > I unfortunately came upon this group too late, so I don't
            >understand what is being learned now. Is there a beginning somewhere I should
            start?

            Dear Ryan,

            Cool that you're ordaining and are interested in Pali. My experience has been that beginners are very welcome here. You don't have to already be at the level of the regular translation series to ask questions.

            Here's a link to de Silva's pali primer on-line, which can be a good start while you wait for ordered books to arrive:

            http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/pali/primer/

            A more comprehensive introduction that can really get you reading the suttas is Warder's _Introduction to Pali_. Here's a link to its page at Amazon:

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-4893247-8395200?url=index%3Dstripbooks%3Arelevance-above&field-keywords=warder+pali&Go.x=6&Go.y=4&Go=Go

            Both these books presuppose that you're something of an autodidact, but if you run into trouble there are lots of people to ask.

            A couple of members have started web-based sites collecting links and so on (Dmytro and Alan, for example). One is:

            http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showforum=50

            And this group has a link collection (including some beginners' courses) at:

            I don't have the link to Dmytro's site at the moment but I remember it as being very comprehensive.

            Hope this helps,

            /Rett
          • Dmytro A. Ivakhnenko
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
              Dear Ryan and Rett,

              > I don't have the link to Dmytro's site at the moment but I remember it as being very comprehensive.

              Let me recommend you Sadhu! directory http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/ with a
              comprehensive Pali section.

              Metta, Dmytro
            • james Miner
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
                Welcome Ryan,
                I am about 2&1/2 months in to studying Pali with Warder's book at University of Bristol. This group has been great with basic questions, very helpful. I enjoy getting questions near my level as a way to stay sharp too, so if I can help....

                Also Id like to hear about your ordination. Are you doing this in the States?

                Best,
                James

                samanerabaker@... wrote:
                Hello all,

                My name is Ryan and I am from Ohio. I am in the process of being
                ordained through the Red Lotus Temple under Rev. Virupa Arya. We are a
                Theravadin Temple. I was wondering if I could find some information on learning Pali
                from the beginning. I unfortunately came upon this group too late, so I don't
                understand what is being learned now. Is there a beginning somewhere I should
                start? Thank you for any help, and I look forward to growing in knowledge of
                the Pali language with all of you.

                Sincerely,

                Samanera Ryan

                Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
                  Hi Harry,
                  perfect,
                  Nina.
                  op 30-12-2005 01:20 schreef Harry Liew op harryliew66@...:

                  .

                  > Please try this, a chapter of Charles Duroiselle's Pali Grammer under
                  > Velthuis, http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/chpt10_1.htm. The whole
                  > conversion exercise should be finished within a week and will be dedicated and
                  > offered to the Pali study group as a thank-you for thier contribution and help
                  > in learning Pali.
                • nikayas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
                    Dear Pali Collective,

                    I have just signed into the group. My interest is particularly with
                    issues connected to vedana

                    Best,

                    Michael Drummond