SV: Re: [Pali] Project Pali Scope: Unicode fonts

  • lighthisertim
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar G�llmo <gunnargallmo@y...> wrote:
      > Is there a Lao script? I thought the Lao language is
      > written with Thai script.

      Hi,

      From the "Unicode Standard":

      The Lao language and script are closely related to Thai. The Unicode Standard encodes the
      Lao script in the same relative order as Thai. Lao contains fewer letters than Thai because
      by 1960 it was simplified to be fairly phonemic, while Thai maintains many etymological
      spellings that are homonyms. Regular word spacing is not used in Lao; spaces separate
      phrases or sentences instead. <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/
      ch10.pdf>

      South Asian Scripts
      http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch9.pdf

      tl
    • Alan McClure
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
        Gunnar Gällmo wrote:

        >--- Walter Stanish <walter@...> skrev:
        >

        >>(Sinhalese and Lao I'm unsure about, but Burmese,
        >>Khmer and Lao scripts
        >>are perhaps still quite rare.
        >>

        >Is there a Lao script? I thought the Lao language is
        >written with Thai script.
        >
        >Gunnar

        Dear Gunnar,

        I ran into this:

        "

        Lao alphabet

        Origin

        After the unification of the Lao principalities (meuang) in the 14th
        century, the Lan Xang monarchs commissioned their scholars to create a
        new script to write the Lao language. The scholars adapted an early
        version of the Thai script, which was developed from the Old Khmer
        script, which was itself based on Mon scripts. The modern Lao script
        retains many aspects of the appearance of the early Thai script which
        have disappeared from the modern Thai script
        <http://www.omniglot.com/writing/thai.htm>."

        From:
        http://www.omniglot.com/writing/lao.htm

        and also:
        http://www.laoscript.net/

        With metta,

        Alan
      • Walter Stanish
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 3, 2005
          In my experience trying to learn Lao after the Thai script few years
          ago, Lao contains many of the same consonants as Thai (however its
          total number of consonants are fewer) and its script more clearly
          derived from leaf inscriptions, being significantly more rounded.

          As for vowels, the Lao language seems to have an order of magnitude
          more exotic-looking vowel combinations than Thai, which in my short
          experience was a more difficult challenge than anything else when
          learning the language.

          To clarify, I can't say I've 'learned' either script, though I can
          usually read place names and words I already know when seen in
          context in both countries. Hoping to improve, in time!

          - Walter, whose trip to Thailand is postponed, so is still online :)
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 6, 2005
            Dear Walter, Harry, Gunnar, Alan, tl and friends,

            thanks for all the information. The Pali Rosetta Stone is simply
            amazing. It is great to learn that the Thai script is now part of the
            standard installation for most computers. As I understand, there are
            more Pali resources in Sinhala or Burmese scripts than in Thai, Khmer
            or Laotian(?). Then, we have manuscripts in Gandhari and Brahmi.
            Lastly, there are the synthesised texts in Devanagari and Mongol
            scripts (as those found on CSCD).

            There may not yet be a single font containing all the scripts. To the
            best of my knowledge, there isn't even one that contains two of the
            scripts. However, with Unicode, we are looking at fonts incorporating
            the various scripts in the near future.

            Harry: thanks for your offer to help. I am still working out the
            plans for the project. And I shall let everyone know when it is ready.

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Walter Stanish wrote:

            I believe that most systems these days have at least Thai Unicode
            fonts installed by default. (Sinhalese and Lao I'm unsure about, but
            Burmese, Khmer and Lao scripts are perhaps still quite rare. At
            least, none of them seem to be available as input options in my copy
            of (Chinese) Windows XP Pro.)

            Anyway, I'm sure there are Unicode fonts available for all of those
            scripts, see for example the Pali Rosetta Stone my friend Eisel
            Mazard has done and saved to PDF:

            http://pratyeka.org/pali/PaliRosettaStone.pdf
          • Harry Liew
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 6, 2005
              Dear Yong Peng, and friends,

              Thanks for the update. Happy to get this opportunity to be of any use.

              I have just uploaded a small and simple Content Management Sytem for learning Pali (beginner) for Nina to have a look.
              http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/index.htm . It is there for testing and will be taken down in the next few days because I don't want to be sued by by the owners and authors (i.e. you people).

              Beginning to learn Pali recently, and being a poor organiser, I have problems in finding the downloaded materials when needed. Or after flipping through a few web pages, checking through dictionary, grammar, etc, I have problem in finding home. This small application was therefore created in response to my premature senility :-).

              It may sit as a complete desktop application without installation and internet access. When fully zipped, it is about 1.5 MB.

              This is only a prototype which hopefully may become a group project, please... The code is very simple and small. ( 99.9% WYSIWYG)

              Thanks.

              Metta,

              Harry

              Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote: Dear Walter, Harry, Gunnar, Alan, tl and friends,

[...]

              Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
              [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
              [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

              Pali Theravada buddhism Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                Dear Harry, Connie and friends,

                Harry, I agree with Connie it is a useful software tool for Pali
                students. I am sure beginners and advance students alike would find
                it handy to have the Pali solutions sitting on their desktop (or
                laptop).

                You are welcomed to incorporate the Pali solutions from Tipitaka.net,
                but please indicate the source of the materials you use.

                When you have the program ready, you may also like to upload it to
                the Files section on the group's Yahoo! page.

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 9, 2005
                  Dear Nina, Connie, Yong Peng, and friends,

                  Connie, Yong Peng has just given me the green light. Please let me know how to fulfill your request. Please try to push it until it crashes. A software is not a good software if it is not stable and user friendly. But the problem is : the person who creates it doesn't know. Besides this writer is very poor in design. Whatever you are not happy with, stability or navigation or.. anything, please yell. It will be re-done until the end users or you are happy. Then it may become a useful software.

                  Yong Peng, thanks for your kindness. Does the green light include study materials from www.geocities.com/paligroup/ ? There is a plan for a separate intermediate and an advance level versions as time progresses. I hope to develop it further under the group's supervison and guidance. But I won't and don't want to be the project manager. Any senior member nominated by the group will do. S/he doesn't have to be a techie. Please .....

                  Thanks.

                  Metta,

                  Harry

                  Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote: Dear Harry, Connie and friends,

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 10, 2005
                    Dear Harry, Connie and friends,

                    please take note, Harry,

                    1. this is not an endorsement of your proposed Pali Content Mgt
                    System (or software). It is only my opinion that it is a good idea.

                    I have no idea what you are doing, is it going to be a software that
                    runs outside the standard browser?

                    2. the general rule in terms of materials you can incorporate in your
                    proposed software:

                    (a) Tipitaka.net -- unless otherwise specified, you are free to use
                    the materials on the site, on the condition that you do not charge a
                    cost to others. Please check individual page for details.

                    (b) www.geocities.com/paligroup/ -- unless otherwise specified, you
                    can only use the materials as they are originally designed. Some of
                    the materials are made available for the purpose of study only. You
                    have to obtain permission from respective COPYRIGHT OWNERS before you
                    include them in your proposed software.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 10, 2005
                      Dear Yong Peng, Connie and friends,

                      Yong Peng, thanks for your very helpful feedback.

                      This 'software' is a collections of linked throw-away web pages organized in different folders for ease of maintenance. Apart from linked html files and textfiles, there is nothing else (no .exe, asp, php, and so on). No installation is needed. Apart from a basic PC or laptop with a web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox, no other supporting software is needed. It is a very simple standalone, with one common interface for all files, does not run outside a web browser, and does not require internet access. The whole program contains study materials downloaded from Tipitaka.net and www.geocities.com/paligroup/ organized in the form of a small but fully functional local desktop 'website' with html and text files only. A localhost or web server is not needed.

                      The initial intention is a throw-away personal organizer for a specific purpose - learning Pali. However, on second thought it might be useful for other beginners as well. Therefore the present intention is for the group to take full ownership of the whole project if materialized, and all versions, including future versions for an intermediate and an advance level Pali study, depending on the needs of the members. Hopefully a senior member nominated by the group will examine it, take charge of it if it is of any use, and provide a legitimate platform for further development - my role is strictly a voluntary technician. As owner, the group has full right to do whatever it wants with it.

                      To reiterate, the present prototype was developed for my own use as a beginner in Pali study for ease of navigation and access to the various downloaded study materials for learning Pali as permitted by compassionate owners and authors of those study materials. I have no intention to develop it further other than a thrownaway temporary study tool unless the group thinks otherwise. (Planned version for intermediate level is meant for personal usage in learning Pali. As for advance version, ........not sure.... :-) .)

                      Thank you for your kindness and your effort.

                      Metta,

                      Harry

                      Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:

                      Dear Harry, Connie and friends,

                      please take note, Harry,

                      1. this is not an endorsement of your proposed Pali Content Mgt
                      System (or software). It is only my opinion that it is a good idea.

                      I have no idea what you are doing, is it going to be a software that
                      runs outside the standard browser?

                      2. the general rule in terms of materials you can incorporate in your
                      proposed software:

                      (a) Tipitaka.net -- unless otherwise specified, you are free to use
                      the materials on the site, on the condition that you do not charge a
                      cost to others. Please check individual page for details.

                      (b) www.geocities.com/paligroup/ -- unless otherwise specified, you
                      can only use the materials as they are originally designed. Some of
                      the materials are made available for the purpose of study only. You
                      have to obtain permission from respective COPYRIGHT OWNERS before you
                      include them in your proposed software.

                      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Harry Liew wrote:

                      Connie, Yong Peng has just given me the green light. Please let me
                      know how to fulfill your request. Please try to push it until it
                      crashes. A software is not a good software if it is not stable and
                      user friendly. But the problem is : the person who creates it
                      doesn't know. Besides this writer is very poor in design. Whatever
                      you are not happy with, stability or navigation or.. anything,
                      please yell. It will be re-done until the end users or you are
                      happy. Then it may become a useful software.

                      Yong Peng, thanks for your kindness. Does the green light include
                      study materials from www.geocities.com/paligroup/ ? There is a plan
                      for a separate intermediate and an advance level versions as time
                      progresses. I hope to develop it further under the group's
                      supervison and guidance. But I won't and don't want to be the
                      project manager. Any senior member nominated by the group will do.
                      S/he doesn't have to be a techie. Please .....

                      > Harry, I agree with Connie it is a useful software tool for Pali
                      > students. I am sure beginners and advance students alike would find
                      > it handy to have the Pali solutions sitting on their desktop (or
                      > laptop).
                      >
                      > You are welcomed to incorporate the Pali solutions from
                      > Tipitaka.net, but please indicate the source of the materials you
                      > use.
                      >
                      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Harry Liew wrote:
                      > http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/index.htm

                      Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                      Pali Theravada buddhism Beyond belief
                      Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "Pali" on the web.

                      Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote: Dear Harry, Connie and friends,

                      please take note, Harry,

                      1. this is not an endorsement of your proposed Pali Content Mgt
                      System (or software). It is only my opinion that it is a good idea.

                      I have no idea what you are doing, is it going to be a software that
                      runs outside the standard browser?

                      2. the general rule in terms of materials you can incorporate in your
                      proposed software:

                      (a) Tipitaka.net -- unless otherwise specified, you are free to use
                      the materials on the site, on the condition that you do not charge a
                      cost to others. Please check individual page for details.

                      (b) www.geocities.com/paligroup/ -- unless otherwise specified, you
                      can only use the materials as they are originally designed. Some of
                      the materials are made available for the purpose of study only. You
                      have to obtain permission from respective COPYRIGHT OWNERS before you
                      include them in your proposed software.

                      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Harry Liew wrote:

                      Connie, Yong Peng has just given me the green light. Please let me
                      know how to fulfill your request. Please try to push it until it
                      crashes. A software is not a good software if it is not stable and
                      user friendly. But the problem is : the person who creates it
                      doesn't know. Besides this writer is very poor in design. Whatever
                      you are not happy with, stability or navigation or.. anything,
                      please yell. It will be re-done until the end users or you are
                      happy. Then it may become a useful software.

                      Yong Peng, thanks for your kindness. Does the green light include
                      study materials from www.geocities.com/paligroup/ ? There is a plan
                      for a separate intermediate and an advance level versions as time
                      progresses. I hope to develop it further under the group's
                      supervison and guidance. But I won't and don't want to be the
                      project manager. Any senior member nominated by the group will do.
                      S/he doesn't have to be a techie. Please .....

                      > Harry, I agree with Connie it is a useful software tool for Pali
                      > students. I am sure beginners and advance students alike would find
                      > it handy to have the Pali solutions sitting on their desktop (or
                      > laptop).
                      >
                      > You are welcomed to incorporate the Pali solutions from
                      > Tipitaka.net, but please indicate the source of the materials you
                      > use.
                      >
                      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Harry Liew wrote:
                      > http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/index.htm

                      Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                      Pali Theravada buddhism Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

                      ---------------------------------

                    • gurusinha sena

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005

                          the SBMC website: http://www.buddhist-book.com/

                          In the past, SBMC has published many quality books, such as the
                          Illustrated Light of Asia, and the Illustrated Dhammapada (now
                          available in PDF from Buddhanet). Not to mentioned to long awaited
                          Illustrated Jataka Tales, which is due to be published anytime.

                          I am not sure about the CD-ROM, but is interested to obtain a copy.
                          Anyone with more information? Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005
                            Dear Harry and friends,

                            thanks. I have a better picture now. However, many of the pages on
                            Tipitaka.net are served by PHP scripts. You may still capture them
                            individually and save them all for offline viewing. I am sure many
                            people will appreciate your work.

                            Your proposal for such a system also highlights that the Pali section
                            on Tipitaka.net is due for a better design. When the site moved to a
                            new server in December 2004, I started work on a new design for the
                            entire site. All the contents remain, but the navigational aids and
                            graphical components are being reworked. Some of the sections still
                            remain undone. This is mainly due to my work, and other commitments.
                            This year has also been quite an eventful one for me, running into
                            some problems here in Brisbane, Australia.

                            Apart from that, all are going fine. I have thought about a new
                            design for the Pali section, which will bring together all the Pali
                            resources in a useful manner. It will not be ready until the new
                            year, but I will let the group know when it is done.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005

                              Thanks for your compliment.

                              I am very much amazed by your selfless energy. You provide a very good living mirror for me to reflect on. Luckily there are many many more among these Pali friends.

                              Thanks again for everything.

                              Metta,

                              Harry

                              Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote: Dear Harry and friends,

                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 12, 2005
                                Dear Gurusinhas, and friends,

                                Thank you for your feedback. Being not afraid to learn new languages through mistakes, your effort probably belongs to what I understand as yoniso manasikara (??).

                                Pronunciation is indeed a very big problem for me. And probably for other beginners as well. Although the group has a file with 600 individually pronounced word clips, I still need to search for and to use Pali chantings as guide. My favourites are those downloaded from http://www.concentration.org/b_chants.htm. Pronunciation is distinct, neither fast nor slow, providing an ambience of stability, moving one slowly away from erratic high and low of emotional turmoil. Unfortunately, the amount of material is fairly limited.

                                Thanks for the information. (Please I still need your help.)

                                Metta,

                                Harry

                                gurusinha sena <gurusinhas@...> wrote: It will be very useful for future studies. If you can add sound too. I check SBMC Pali CD ROM e-book "Teach Yourself Pali in English" have good sound and clear pronunciation.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 19, 2005
                                  Update on desktop Content Mgt Sytem for beginners

                                  Dear Friends,

                                  The following had been done:

                                  1. Dictionary: The newer bigger Pali - English Dict by Buddhadatta located at ww.geocities.com/paligroup had been included. Completely converted to Velthuis Scheme, re-sorted alphabetically, permitting easier search by using web browser's "Edit -> Find (on this Page)" function, without using special key board. (All pages are displayed by web browsers.)

                                  2. Charles Duroiselle's Pali Grammar was downloaded from www.tipitaka.net/pali, and converted to Velthuis. To minimize transmission error,
                                  extensive tabulation with provision for easier reading is employed by using the pdf file located at
                                  www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paligram.pdf as cross reference. However, the web pages grow enormously in size. For example, Chapter 10 is over 400 MB. The solution then is to split them into two, re-write and re-package the code. Now the first half of Chapter 10, originally over 200MB, is less tan 110 MB. There is no loss in quality. The end product is not only smaller in size but also more efficient as the demand for computer resources is smaller.

                                  3. Dhammapada seems to be very popular among the group, based on threads from the [dsg]. There is still quite a bit of real estate vacancy on the common navigation page. It may be incoporated in this version if the materials are available (with permission from owners/authors). Connie seems to like it very much and have access to a very large collection of translated materials http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/message/52941).

                                  Please provide feedback. The old copy built for personal usage is temporarily housed at a free site: http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/index.htm for better feedback. It will be removed when a more user friendly one is completed,
                                  hopefully in another 2 weeks or so. Then it will be dedicated and offered to the Pali study group as a thankyou for their anonymous generosity and assistance in learning Pali.

                                  Thankyou.

                                  Metta,

                                  Harry

                                  Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                                  [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                                  [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                                  Pali Theravada buddhism Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

                                • davco123
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 20, 2005
                                    Harry,

                                    I am having difficulties to display correctly these pages in my
                                    browsers. Could you please tell me if I need a specific font or
                                    encoding to correctly display the pages?

                                    Thank you,

                                    David Cohen

                                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Harry Liew <harryliew66@y...> wrote:

                                    > Update on desktop Content Mgt Sytem for beginners
                                    >
                                    > Dear Friends,
                                    >
                                    > The following had been done:
                                    >
                                    > 1. Dictionary: The newer bigger Pali - English Dict by Buddhadatta
                                    located at ww.geocities.com/paligroup had been included. Completely
                                    converted to Velthuis Scheme, re-sorted alphabetically, permitting
                                    easier search by using web browser's "Edit -> Find (on this Page)"
                                    function, without using special key board. (All pages are displayed by
                                    web browsers.)

                                    > 2. Charles Duroiselle's Pali Grammar was downloaded from www.
                                    tipitaka.net/pali, and converted to Velthuis. To minimize
                                    transmission error,
                                    > extensive tabulation with provision for easier reading is employed
                                    by using the pdf file located at
                                    > www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paligram.pdf as cross reference.
                                    However, the web pages grow enormously in size. For example, Chapter
                                    10 is over 400 MB. The solution then is to split them into two, re-
                                    write and re-package the code. Now the first half of Chapter 10,
                                    originally over 200MB, is less tan 110 MB. There is no loss in
                                    quality. The end product is not only smaller in size but also more
                                    efficient as the demand for computer resources is smaller.

                                    > 3. Dhammapada seems to be very popular among the group, based on
                                    threads from the [dsg]. There is still quite a bit of real estate
                                    vacancy on the common navigation page. It may be incoporated in this
                                    version if the materials are available (with permission from owners/
                                    authors). Connie seems to like it very much and have access to a very
                                    large collection of translated materials http://groups.yahoo.com/
                                    group/dhammastudygroup/message/52941).

                                    > Please provide feedback. The old copy built for personal usage is
                                    temporarily housed at a free site: http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/
                                    learnpali/index.htm for better feedback. It will be removed when a
                                    more user friendly one is completed,
                                    > hopefully in another 2 weeks or so. Then it will be dedicated and
                                    offered to the Pali study group as a thankyou for their anonymous
                                    generosity and assistance in learning Pali.

                                    > Thankyou.
                                    >
                                    > Metta,
                                    >
                                    > Harry

                                    > Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                                    > Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily
                                    digest or web only.

                                    > Pali
                                    Theravada buddhism
                                    Beyond belief
                                    Tibetan buddhism
                                    Zen buddhism

                                    Service.

                                  • Harry Liew
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 21, 2005
                                      Dear David, and friends,
                                      Thank you very very much for your feedback.
                                      You question reminds me of the very intense frustrations following download of the Pali study materials recently.

                                      Those semi-processed web pages at the temporary website were mainly downloaded from Yong Peng's Tipitaka.net website and the group Yahoo website. The initial problem in trying to learn Pali was not frustration in learning to read forward, waiting patiently and interpreting backward (and forward again) by linking various words by grammatical rules, but in dealing with numerous fonts and searching for them (proprietary is one reason). And with a recent computer degree. :-(
                                      The problems that you mentioned are very tough to solve. Hence, there is a group effort at the moment to create a Unicode font (Project Pali Scope: Unicode fonts). Yong Peng is doing the planning at the moment.
                                      In order to make those materials user friendly, presently the study materials are been converted under 100% Velthuis Scheme, allowing a basic PC or laptop to utilize basic fonts such as Arial. Another problem is shifting of field values from one column to another, especially on printing transmission. And a beginner isn't aware of it. In order to minimize them, extensive tabulation is used, which is time consuming. Hopefully, in another 2 weeks, "converted" study materials will replace the old ones.
                                      Thanks again for your feedback. It means the present process in presenting those study materials in a more coherent user friendly manner is worthwhile. Your email is very encouraging. May all merits in this process go to members of the Pali study group who have contribute so much anonymously in helping beginners. (No, this beginner don't want any. Want to give them away, to the contributors, to all, in all directions.)
                                      Please write. Off list, if you wish. Perhaps you may wish to have a look at these presently re-processed materials under Velthuis and input invaluable ideas to make them more friendly to end users - which your present email has done. (This puthujjana house builder won’t know, and my PC doesn’t know either now that it has almost every font from a to z.:-))
                                      Warmest thank you.
                                      Harry

                                      davco123 <davco123@...> wrote: Harry,

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 25, 2005
                                        Update on Pali Content Mgt System for beginners

                                        Dear Friends,

                                        Coversion of Charles Duroiselle's Pali Grammar with tabulation has gone up to Chapter 10. The converted files would utilize the following fonts:
                                        Comic Sans MS, arial, helvetica, and sans-serif.

                                        Chapter 10, in 3 files, has been uploaded at http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/chpt10_1.htm for feedback. During conversion, prefixes and roots were mined simultaneously into 2 more files which may be checked at above url. The rest of the book contains further prefixes and roots which may mine further. This simple application should be completed on schedule.

                                        Please provide suggestions on design, stability, ease of reading, and others. Please include basic information on your computer such as operating system (win98, XP, Linux, etc) and installation of special fonts (Yes or No only).

                                        Thank you.

                                        Metta,

                                        Harry

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 25, 2005
                                          Dear Harry,
                                          thanks, but on my iMac my field is not broad enough to read the whole
                                          sentence. However, I am no good at conversion, or doing something to fonts.
                                          I just looked, but I am overloaded with other work.
                                          Nina.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 25, 2005

                                            Thank you.

                                            I realize the mistake - absolute measurement instead of percentage.

                                            Please don't worry about font. This conversion to Velthuis is meant to forget about special font usage.

                                            Thanks again for your thought on directed thought.

                                            Metta,

                                            Harry

                                            Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote: Dear Harry,

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 30, 2006
                                              Dear Friends,

                                              Work for the Pali Content Management System in Velthuis Scheme for beginners is completed.

                                              It is a desktop organizer meant for offline browsing without installation.

                                              It started out as a crude file system for the the various downloaded materials for learning Pali. It is now dedicated as a thank-you to all members of the Pali group and kind authors in making these study materials available to seekers.

                                              What it contains:
                                              1. Duroiselle's Pali grammar with 900+ tables,
                                              2. Buddhadatta's tabulated English - Pali Dict.,
                                              3. Combined tabulated Pali - English Dictionary (23291 terms, with some duplicates) with Buddhadatta's as the backbone, incorporating other vocab. materials from
                                              (a) Yong Peng's Pali Verbs.xls,
                                              (b) Dr de Silva's Pali.zip (Pali Primier),
                                              (c) John Kelly's Warder Vocab 1-22.zip,
                                              (d) Ven Narada's vocab from www.tipitaka.net/pali/pali.php?course=vocabpe.
                                              4. Complete Pali Verbs.xls in a printable web page,
                                              5. Grammer Terms,
                                              6. Yong Peng's Summary on Declensions and Conjugations,
                                              7. What is Pali,
                                              8. Questions and Answers by various Pali students for various books,
                                              9. An acknowledged open source text editor for doing exercises. (The spacing between the questions and answers has been increased so that answers may be 'hidden' in the next line below.)

                                              All tables have alternate rows in light mute colour (Thanks, Rett.)

                                              Thank you to all you for making this first step in learning Pali possible.

                                              Metta,

                                              Harry

                                              ps. The temporary website for testing has been dismantled (http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/learnpali/). My apology for not including sound files because of sizes and download time.