Re: Pali Day by Day 11/30/2005 [D-Series: Finale]

    Message 1 of 1247 , Dec 3, 2005
      Dear Nina and friends,

      thanks again for the explanation. In my previous post, I have
      misinterpreted your words. What I mean is, as follows, that

      if the text refers to dhammo as a/kusala citta, which means
      un/wholesome thought, this relates to the action (verbal or physical)
      which will be carried out subsequently.

      as such, I suggest that manopubba`ngamo means "gone first to the
      mind" or "first conceived by the mind". In this way, we actually see
      the entire chain of events unfolding through each of the verses.

      1. First conceived by the mind are (all) phenomena,
      with the mind in the essence are (our) thoughts;
      if with a corrupted mind (one) speaks or acts,
      pain follows that (person) thereafter,
      like the wheel the foot of the (one) bearing (loads).

      2. First conceived by the mind are (all) phenomena,
      with the mind in the essence are (our) thoughts;
      if with a purified mind (one) speaks or acts,
      happiness follows that (person) thereafter,
      like the shadow never departing.

      What do you think?

      There is an article by Andrew Olendzki online. I have been tracking
      it down, and only able to retrieve it today with the help of a friend
      from Singapore. It is really worth a read:

      http://www.shambhalasun.com/Archives/Features/2005/November/ThreeLittl
      eWords.htm

      when looking at the text it seems to refer to kusala citta or akusala
      citta that motivate deeds bringing results. I would take rather to
      forerunner.

      > I am still thinking of the very first phrase of the verse:
      > manopubba`ngamaa dhammaa
      >
      > I am tempted to translate it as:
      > conceivable by the mind are all phenomena
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hello Jayarava and friends,

        Dhivan