SV: SV: [Pali] Re: Upekkhaa

  • Ole Holten Pind
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005

      It seems to me that there is a marked difference between the view that
      satipaarisuddhi is generated by upekkhaa and the view that both upekkhaa and
      sati are pure in the fourth jhaana.

      Regards,
      Ole

      Dear Ole and Dmytro,
      may I butt in?
      Qua meaning I do not see a problem with these two texts. In the fourth
      jhana, where all the coarse jhanafactors have been abandoned, there is great
      purity of all conascent mental factors, the indifferent feeling, sati,
      tatramajjhattataa, cetanaa, manasikara, samaadhi, paññaa, etc. They
      condition each other by way of sahajata paccaya and aññamañña paccaya.
      Nina.

      <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=19994&pa
      rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

    • Ray Mondor
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2005
        Dear Ole,
        Is it true that, instead of using the compound word "upekkhaasatipaarisuddhim", the suttanipaata author could have specified directly either of the two possibilities you mention by choosing a more explicit sentence structure? If so, would it be fair to guess that in using the compound word structure the author actually intended the ambiguity of meaning?
        Metta,
        Ray
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2005
          Hi

          I see that your name is Ukrainian and I wish to know if you live in
          Ukraine or somewhere else. Wish to talk about Dhamma with you.

          With Metta
          Leo
        • Dmytro A. Ivakhnenko
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2005
            Hi Leo,

            > I see that your name is Ukrainian and I wish to know if you live in
            > Ukraine or somewhere else. Wish to talk about Dhamma with you.

            Yes, I live in a capital of a wonderful country called Ukraine.
            Tha language here is very much like Pali :)

            With Metta,
            Dmytro http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2005
              Dear Ole,
              op 02-12-2005 21:35 schreef Ole Holten Pind op oleholtenpind@...:

              > It seems to me that there is a marked difference between the view that
              > satipaarisuddhi is generated by upekkhaa and the view that both upekkhaa and
              > sati are pure in the fourth jhaana.
              ------
              N: Going back to the Vis text: < The fourth jhana...which...'has mindfulness
              purified by equanimity'.>
              I do not read the notion of <generated by> upekkhaa. They arise at the same
              time, there is no previous generation by upekkhaa.
              The Vibhanga text in English has caused by, but I do not have the Pali. But
              also this word may not be a problem if we think of conascence. Citta and
              cetasikas are arising together and experience the same object.

              Detachment and many other sobhana cetasikas had become strong because of the
              yogavacara's development of calm. Then it was the right time for the arising
              of the jhaanacitta of the fourth stage, where upekkhaa, sati and also the
              other accompanying cetasikas have reached a high degree of purity. It all
              falls into place at that one moment of jhaanacitta.
              So I do not think there is a difference of view between the Vibhanga, the
              Visuddhimagga and the Sutta nipata.