bowl going upstream

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2005
      Dear Pali friends,

      Can someone please help me with a sutta reference?
      There is a story in the canon somewhere, I believe,
      where the Buddha talks about floating his bowl on a
      river and it travelling upstream, and this was an
      analogy with those who follow the Dhamma having to
      swim against the stream of society. I may have
      botched that synopsis, but if someone could point me
      to the source, I would be most grateful.

      With metta,
      John
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        Dear John,
        In the text about the day the Buddha attained enlighteenment, we read that
        he threw the golden vessel (which had contained Sujata's meal) into the
        Neranjara river where it went upstream. He exclaimed: today I will attain
        enlightenment. Here it seems like an extraordinary thing happening on a very
        extraordinary day.
        Another sense of upstream: He was after his enlightenment for a moment
        disinclined to teach Dhamma and said: it is against the stream of common
        thought.
        And this is the truth.
        Nina.