AN1.14.1-80 Etadagga Vagga (4/7)

    Message 1 of 366 , Nov 6, 2005

      A`nguttara Nikaya: Ekaka Nipaata
      Etadagga Vagga
      Catuttha Vagga

      32. "Etadagga.m, bhikkhave, mama saavakaana.m bhikkhuuna.m
      bahussutaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      33. ... Satimantaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      34. ... Gatimantaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      35. ... Dhitimantaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      36. ... Upa.t.thaakaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      37. ... Mahaaparisaana.m yadida.m uruvelakassapo.
      38. ... Kulappasaadakaana.m yadida.m kaa.ludaayii.
      39. ... Appaabaadhaana.m yadida.m baakulo.
      40. ... Pubbenivaasa.m anussarantaana.m yadida.m sobhito.
      41. ... Vinayadharaana.m yadida.m upaali.
      42. ... Bhikkhunovaadakaana.m yadida.m nandako.
      43. ... Indriyesu guttadvaaraana.m yadida.m nando.
      44. ... Bhikkhu-ovaadakaana.m yadida.m mahaakappino.
      45. ... Tejodhaatukusalaana.m yadida.m saagato.
      46. ... Pa.tibhaaneyyakaana.m yadida.m raadho.
      47. ... Luukhaciivaradharaana.m yadida.m mogharaajaati.
      Vaggo catuttho.

      Catuttha Vagga
      fourth / part
      The Fourth Part

      1. "Etadagga.m, bhikkhave, mama saavakaana.m bhikkhuuna.m
      bahussutaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      this is chief / monks / my / of disciples / of monks / of the ones
      who have much learning / that is / Ananda
      "This is the most eminent, monks, among the monks, my disciples, who
      are well-learned: it is Ananda.

      etadagga = etad agga: this is chief.
      - etad (dem pron) this.
      - agga (adj) chief, best, excellent.
      bhikkhu (m) monk.
      mama (per pron) my.
      saavaka (m) disciple.
      bahussuta = bahu suta (adj) one who has much learning.
      - bahu (adj) much, many.
      - suta (pp of su.naati) heard.
      yadida.m = ya ida.m: which is this, that is, in other words, so to
      speak, just this.
      - ya (rel pron, stem) which.
      - ida.m (dem pron, n/nom/sg) this.
      aananda (proper noun) Ananda.

      2. ... Satimantaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      of the mindful ones / that is / Ananda
      Among the mindful ones: it is Ananda.

      satimant (adj) mindful, thoughtful.

      3. ... Gatimantaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      of the ones with good behaviours / that is / Ananda
      Among those with good behaviours: it is Ananda.

      gatimant (adj) of good behaviour.

      4. ... Dhitimantaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      of the resolute ones / that is / Ananda
      Among the resolute ones: it is Ananda.

      dhitimant (adj) courageous, firm, resolute.

      5. ... Upa.t.thaakaana.m yadida.m aanando.
      of personal attendants / that is / Ananda
      Among the personal attendants: it is Ananda.

      upa.t.thaaka (m) personal attendant.

      6. ... Mahaaparisaana.m yadida.m uruvelakassapo.
      of great assemblies / that is / Uruvela Kassapa
      Among those of great assemblies: it is Uruvela Kassapa.

      mahaaparisaa (f) great assembly.
      uruvelakassapa (proper noun) Uruvela Kassapa.

      7. ... Kulappasaadakaana.m yadida.m kaa.ludaayii.
      of the ones pious to the clans / that is / Kaludayi
      Among those devoted to the clans: it is Kaludayi.

      kulappasaadaka (adj) pious to the clan.
      - kula (n) clan.
      - pasaadaka (adj) pious.
      kaa.ludaayii (proper noun) Kaludayi.

      8. ... Appaabaadhaana.m yadida.m baakulo.
      of little illness / that is / Bakula
      Among those of good health: it is Bakula.

      appaabaadha (m) little illness.
      - appa (adj) little.
      - aabaadha (m) illness, disease.
      baakula (proper noun) Bakula.

      9. ... Pubbenivaasa.m anussarantaana.m yadida.m sobhito.
      past lives / of the ones remembering / that is / Sobhita
      Among those with the ability of postcognition: it is Sobhita.

      pubbenivaasa (m) past life.
      anussaranta (ppr of anussarati) remembering, having memory of.
      sobhita (proper noun) Sobhita.

      10. ... Vinayadharaana.m yadida.m upaali.
      of the masters of Vinaya / that is / Upali
      Among the masters of Vinaya: it is Upali.

      vinayadhara (m) master of the Vinaya.
      upaali (proper noun) Upali.

      11. ... Bhikkhunovaadakaana.m yadida.m nandako.
      of the instructors of the nuns / that is / Nandaka
      Among the instructors of the nuns: it is Nandaka.

      bhikkhunovaadaka = bhikkhuni ovaadaka (adj) instructor of the nuns.
      - bhikkhunii (f) nun.
      - ovaadaka (adj) one who instructs.
      nandaka (proper noun) Nandaka.

      12. ... Indriyesu guttadvaaraana.m yadida.m nando.
      on the senses / of guarded doors / that is / Nanda
      Among those well-guarding the sense-doors: it is Nanda.

      indriya (n) sense.
      guttadvaara (n) guarded door.
      - gutta (adj) guarded.
      - dvaara (n) door.
      nanda (proper noun) Nanda.

      13. ... Bhikkhu-ovaadakaana.m yadida.m mahaakappino.
      of the instructors of the monks / that is / Mahakappina
      Among the instructors of the monks: it is Mahakappina.

      bhikkhu-ovaadaka (adj) instructor of the monks.
      mahaakappina (proper noun) Mahakappina.

      14. ... Tejodhaatukusalaana.m yadida.m saagato.
      of the ones skilful in the subject of heat element / that is / Sagata
      Among those skilful in the contemplation of the heat element: it is
      Sagata.

      tejodhaatukusala (adj) skilful in the subject of heat element.
      - tejo (n) heat.
      - dhaatu (f) element.
      - kusala (adj) skilful.
      saagata (proper noun) Sagata.

      15. ... Pa.tibhaaneyyakaana.m yadida.m raadho.
      of the ones possessed of ready wit / that is / Radha
      Among the quick-witted ones: it is Radha.

      pa.tibhaaneyyaka = pa.tibhaanavant (adj) possessed of ready wit. [PED]
      raadha (proper noun) Radha.

      16. ... Luukhaciivaradharaana.m yadida.m mogharaajaati.
      of the ones wearing rough robes / that is / Mogharaja
      Among those wearing ragged robes: it is Mogharaja.

      luukhaciivaradhara (adj) one wearing a rough robe.
      - luukha (adj) rough, coarse.
      - ciivara (n) outer robe of a monk.
      - dhara (adj) wearing.
      mogharaaja (proper noun) Mogharaja.

      Vaggo catuttho.
      part / fourth
      The Fourth Part

      vagga (m) chapter, part.
      catuttha (num ord) fourth.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****