Top-posting

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
      --- Stephen Hodge
      <s.hodge@...> skrev:

      > Dear Ole,
      >
      > Your posts are useful and of interest, but could you
      > possibly stop
      > "top-posting" -- your most recent message was a.good
      > example. If you do not
      > know what top-posting is and why it is to be
      > avoided, please do a google
      > search for details.

      I disagree about the principle that top-posting should
      always be avoided. Bottom-posting an answer to a
      message which fills the entire screen may be very
      confusing, as you don't see the answer at once.

      Gunnar
    • Stephen Hodge
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
        Dear Gunnar,

        > I disagree about the principle that top-posting should
        > always be avoided. Bottom-posting an answer to a
        > message which fills the entire screen may be very
        > confusing, as you don't see the answer at once.

        One should use one's common sense -- but that is not quite what is meant by
        top-posting. Top-posting is generally understood to be piling up message
        after message in replies back and forth without deleting all that is
        redundant. I don't want to make a big issue of this and make Ole feel
        uncomfortable, but if you look at his last message, you will see that he
        top-posted onto three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.
        There are several issues here. If messages are archived by a group, it
        makes searching topics / threads confusing. Also, many people have slow
        connections AND have to pay by the minute for connection times (like me) --
        if everybody did the same as Ole, then my phone bill would steadily increase
        with no benefit to me.

        Generally, it is regarded as good netiquette to snip out = [snip] and only
        quote the necessary pieces of a previous message that are required to make
        sense. In fact, if you do not do this and top-post, as I have described, in
        some groups such as the academic H-NET ones, your message does not get
        posted.

        So, no big deal really, but just a question of mindfulness.

        Best wishes,
        Stephen Hodge
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
          Dear Stephen, Gunnar, Ole and friends,

          I agree that it is unsightly to have the trailing garbage, and it is
          advised that members be mindful of the issue. All Yahoo! Groups'
          messages come with a footer, either the moderator insert one (as is
          for this group) or Yahoo! will put in a default footer, pointing the
          receipient to Yahoo! Terms of Service, etc.

          Together with this footer is advertisements, which is known as
          from Yahoo! server. So, they would just keep piling up if no one trim
          them off.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Hodge wrote:

          if you look at his last message, you will see that he top-posted onto
          three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.
        • Ole Holten Pind
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
            _____

            So, they would just keep piling up if no one trim
            them off.

            I agree,

            The inconvenience of dealing with the barbage just never ccurred to me. I
            have a very fast connection..

            Ole Pind

            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
              Dear Rene and friends,

              thanks for the information. You are always welcome to put useful
              documents in the Files section. However, please ensure it is not
              duplicated. If there is any problem, please write to me offlist.
              Thank you.

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rsalm wrote:

              I have a Word document with the 1,000 most common Pali words. Don't
              have a URL source, and am not sure where on the web it comes from. It
              lists the word and the frequency count. 'Hoti' is #1 (26150
              times). 'pajahati' comes in at 707 times. Don't know if this is just
              the Suttapitaka. Will try to attach it to this message. It's 88 kb (5
              pages). Alternatively, Yong Peng may want to place it in the file
              section of the list. If it doesn't go through, we'll have to think of
              something else.
            • rett
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                > I don't want to make a big issue of this and make Ole feel
                >uncomfortable, but if you look at his last message, you will see that he
                >top-posted onto three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.

                That was mostly my fault, I believe. I normally trim footers but I had failed to do so in the message of mine that Ole quoted. That's why it became so long.

                best regards,

                /Rett