cetaso = citto ?

  • Khemaramsi
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
      Dear friends

      I encounter a problem again, please give help.

      In S IV 120 (PTS), the text reads,

      upa.t.thitaaya satiyaa ca viharati appamaa.nacetaso...

      Ven. Bodhi's translation is

      He dwells having set up mindfulness of the body, with
      a measureless mind,...

      I am counfused by the declension of appamaa.nacetaso,
      isn't it genitive or dative? Its case does not agree
      with the implied subject, bhikkhu, then why could the
      word be translated as 'with a measureless mind'?

      While Ven. Buddhaghosa comments the word in quesiton,
      he says

      upa.t.thitasatitaaya nikkilesacittena appamaa.nacitto

      Does this means the commentator equates
      appamaa.nacetaso with appamaa.nacitto, so
      appamaa.nacetaso is viewed as a word with a nominative
      case?

      metta

      Tzung-kuen

      ___________________________________________________ 郔陔唳 Yahoo!も藻撈�r籵� 7.0 betaㄛ轎愐鋒繚���恅蒮礗� http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/beta.html
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005
        _____

        I am counfused by the declension of appamaa.nacetaso,
        isn't it genitive or dative? Its case does not agree
        with the implied subject, bhikkhu, then why could the
        word be translated as 'with a measureless mind'?

        Does this means the commentator equates
        appamaa.nacetaso with appamaa.nacitto, so
        appamaa.nacetaso is viewed as a word with a nominative
        case?

        I have not seen any post addressing this question. If so discard this
        message. The term is a possessive compound in the nominative qualifying the
        subject of the sentence. cetasa is derived from Sanskrit cetas. It has been
        converted into a thematised a stem. The PED (I do not have Cone's revised
        version) has wrongly made cetasa into an adjective.

        Regards

        Ole Pind

        <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=52501&pa
        rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

      • rett
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
          Dear Ole and group,

          >Tzung-kuen :I am counfused by the declension of appamaa.nacetaso,
          >isn't it genitive or dative? Its case does not agree
          >with the implied subject, bhikkhu, then why could the
          >word be translated as 'with a measureless mind'?
          >

          >Tzung-kuen : Does this means the commentator equates
          >appamaa.nacetaso with appamaa.nacitto, so
          >appamaa.nacetaso is viewed as a word with a nominative
          >case?
          >
          >Ole: I have not seen any post addressing this question. If so discard this
          >message. The term is a possessive compound in the nominative qualifying the
          >subject of the sentence. cetasa is derived from Sanskrit cetas. It has been
          >converted into a thematised a stem. The PED (I do not have Cone's revised
          >version) has wrongly made cetasa into an adjective.

          Thanks for another correction to the PED. It will be interesting to watch out for whether this conversion to an -a stem is used in other cases where a word originally ending in a consonant (like cetas, manas etc) finds itself at the end of a bahubbiihi compound in pali.

          I do have Cone, but so far it only goes up to kh, so we'll need to wait a few years to see how this word is treated there.

          best regards,

          /Rett
        • Khemaramsi
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
            Dear Dr. Pind

            Many thanks!

            P:
            cetasa is derived from Sanskrit cetas. It has been
            converted into a thematised a stem. The PED (I do not
            have Cone's revised version) has wrongly made cetasa
            into an adjective.

            T:
            I forgot to check PED, only looked into Mizuno Kogen's
            Pali-Japanese dictionary, which does not include the
            information you gave. Thanks!