Pali Primer 1

  • ypong001
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29 10:11 AM

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 30, 2002

        24. The beggar sleeps.
        > Yaacako sayati.

        25. The king sees the Buddha.
        > Bhuupaalo Buddha.m passati.

        For more information: http://www.tipitaka.net/projects/pal/
      • ypong001
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 30, 2002

          please help me with this question:

          In Pali Primer Lesson 1, we are introduced to the words

          manussa -- man, human being
          nara/purisa - man, person

          I have also looked up the PTS dictionary but still have some doubts.

          1. Do we use purisa for the masculine gender?

          2. Is there a preference, in the Tipitaka, for
          man/person (singular) -- naro over puriso/manusso
          men/people (plural) -- manussaa over naraa/purisaa

          Thank you.

          Yong Peng.
        • ypong001
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2002

            Please help me with this problem.

            I have difficulty looking up for the word bhu~njati in the PTS
            dictionary (online) at http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/pali/

            Is it because the online version is not complete or it is not
            included in this dictionary? I can't confirm this as my PTS
            dictionary (book) is not with me now.

            Thank you.

            Yong Peng.
          • libris@singnet.com.sg
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 30, 2002
              Yong Peng,

              No. 3 should be "The man sees the sun (suriya.m)."

              ypong001 wrote:

              > Translate into English.

> [...]
            • ������� ���������� ��������� (Dimitry A.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 31, 2002

                y> I have difficulty looking up for the word bhu~njati in the PTS
                y> dictionary (online) at http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/pali/

                y> Is it because the online version is not complete or it is not
                y> included in this dictionary? I can't confirm this as my PTS
                y> dictionary (book) is not with me now.

                It is included in PTS dictionary as:

                1. to eat (in general), to enjoy, make use of, take advantage of, use.

                2. to clean, purify, cleanse.

                Metta,
                Dimitry
              • Bill Strider
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 31, 2002
                  The word is in the online dictionary, but for some reason,
                  it is not in the index. Here is how you can find it:

                  Look up 'bhu~njana'. You'll see in parentheses a link to
                  page 506. Click that link and scroll down. 'Bhu~njati'
                  appears just after 'bhu~njana'.

                  I also use this technique to find words when I'm not quite
                  sure of the form or spelling.

                  Mettena,
                  Bill

                  --- ypong001 <ypong001@...> wrote:

                  > I have difficulty looking up for the word bhu~njati in
                  > the PTS
                  > dictionary (online) at
                  > http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/pali/

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                • ypong001
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31, 2002
                    Dear Bill, Dimitry and Piya,

                    thanks a lot for your help.

                    Metta.

                    Yong Peng
                  • ������� ���������� ��������� (Dimitry A.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002

                      y> manussa -- man, human being
                      y> nara/purisa - man, person

                      y> I have also looked up the PTS dictionary but still have some doubts.

                      It can be helpful to look up such words in Monier-Williams Sanskrit
                      dictionary
                      http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/mwd_search.html
                      http://members.ams.chello.nl/l.bontes/sans_n.htm

                      y> 1. Do we use purisa for the masculine gender?

                      Yes.

                      y> 2. Is there a preference, in the Tipitaka, for
                      y> man/person (singular) -- naro over puriso/manusso

                      naro - 606 times.
                      puriso - 3469 times.
                      manusso - 317 times.

                      y> men/people (plural) -- manussaa over naraa/purisaa

                      manussaa - 2622 times.
                      naraa - 241 times.
                      purisaa - 568 times.

                      Metta,
                      Dimitry
                    • tzungkuen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
                        Dear Dimitry

                        > y> 2. Is there a preference, in the Tipitaka, for
                        > y> man/person (singular) -- naro over puriso/manusso
                        >
                        > naro - 606 times.
                        > puriso - 3469 times.
                        > manusso - 317 times.
                        >
                        > y> men/people (plural) -- manussaa over naraa/purisaa
                        >
                        > manussaa - 2622 times.
                        > naraa - 241 times.
                        > purisaa - 568 times.
                        >
                        > Metta,
                        > Dimitry

                        It is amazing and impressive, how do you get this statistic?

                        with metta

                        Tzungkuen

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2002
                          Dear Tzungkuen,

                          t> It is amazing and impressive, how do you get this statistic?

                          Chattha Sangayana CD program gives the word count when you search for
                          a certain word.

                          With metta,

                          Dimitry