SV: SV: [Pali] most common words?

  • Ole Holten Pind
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2005
      _____

      Fra: Pali@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Pali@yahoogroups.com] På vegne af rett
      Sendt: 4. november 2005 08:39
      Til: Pali@yahoogroups.com
      Emne: Re: SV: [Pali] most common words?

      Hi group,

      The usual Anglo/German explanation of bhikkhave is that since the Buddha
      addressed his followers in exactly that way, and everyone had heard the word
      pronounced that way, it was retained even when the canon was recited in the
      dialect now called Pali.

      Yes, but as I have pointed out below this assumption is contradicted by the
      distribution in the canon of bhikkhave and bhikkhavo.

      regards

      Ole Pind

      best regards,

      /Rett

      >Sukhi,
      >
      >Piya
      >
      >--- Ole Holten Pind <oleholtenpind@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> There is certainly a lot of important statistical information that
      >> might be
      >> interesting to pull out of the canon. To give one example of many.
      >> Take, for
      >> instance, the assumption that the Pali canon contains Magadhisms.
      >> Philologists believe that the vocative bhikkhave, for instance, is
      >> Magadhism as opposed to that of bhikkhavo. However, there are well
      >> over
      >> 26.000 examples of the use of bhikkhave in the canon, but only about
      >> 160
      >> quotable instances of bhikkhavo. Any linguistically inclined
      >> philologist
      >> would find that statistically significant. The distribution of the
      >> two
      >> vocatives show that bhikkhavo only occurs in verse and in initial
      >> position
      >> in prose, whereas bhikkhave never occurs in such environments. This
      >> indicates that the interpretation of bhikkhave as a Magadhism is
      >> dubious to
      >> say the very least.
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >>
      >> Ole Pind
      >>
      >> _____

      eyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113
      >> &.sig=GyEyePcJHfZpsY-GdFssvw>

      &k=Pali&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=
      >> Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113&.sig=GyEyePcJHfZpsY-GdFssvw>
      >> Theravada
      >> > buddhism<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
      > &k=Theravada+buddhism&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada

      +buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+budd
      >> hism&c=6&s=113&.sig=fPO4yeUBBy8t0F4nXQuJGw>

      &k=Theravada+buddhism&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Morm

      on+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113&.sig=fPO4yeUBBy8t0F
      >> 4nXQuJGw> Beyond
      >> > belief<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
      > &k=Beyond+belief&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+budd

      hism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&
      >> c=6&s=113&.sig=NgR22WEkb0gHRJDAPUbP5Q>

      &k=Beyond+belief&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+be

      liefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113&.sig=NgR22WEkb0gHRJDAPUb
      >> P5Q> Mormon
      >> > beliefs<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
      > &k=Mormon+beliefs&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+bud

      dhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism
      >> &c=6&s=113&.sig=SlQvf_DQhA7LQCPPqw7lEg>

      &k=Mormon+beliefs&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+b

      eliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113&.sig=SlQvf_DQhA7LQCPPqw
      >> 7lEg> Tibetan
      >> > buddhism<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
      > &k=Tibetan+buddhism&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+b

      uddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhi
      >> sm&c=6&s=113&.sig=AYNn_WFJ1K_p6VBpiYfSbg>

      &k=Tibetan+buddhism&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon

      +beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113&.sig=AYNn_WFJ1K_p6VBp
      >> iYfSbg> Zen
      >> > buddhism<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
      > &k=Zen+buddhism&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddh

      ism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+beliefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c
      >> =6&s=113&.sig=mnV1ApI1F2QNSeDb3zeCNA>

      &k=Zen+buddhism&w1=Pali&w2=Theravada+buddhism&w3=Beyond+belief&w4=Mormon+bel

      iefs&w5=Tibetan+buddhism&w6=Zen+buddhism&c=6&s=113&.sig=mnV1ApI1F2QNSeDb3zeC

      <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=41764&pa
      > &El=&SG=&RAND=41764&pa
      >> rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

      Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
      only.

      Theravada
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Theravada+buddhism&w1=Theravada+buddhis
      m&w2=Tibetan+buddhism&w3=Zen+buddhism&c=3&s=64&.sig=143HA6VIJ6mWxeVKQqQFhg>
      buddhism Tibetan
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tibetan+buddhism&w1=Theravada+buddhism&
      w2=Tibetan+buddhism&w3=Zen+buddhism&c=3&s=64&.sig=kFGn80DzpxnMd3qPWEko-g>
      buddhism Zen
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zen+buddhism&w1=Theravada+buddhism&w2=T
      ibetan+buddhism&w3=Zen+buddhism&c=3&s=64&.sig=QR8c79yJKSfiXn_UCl1T0Q>
      buddhism

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      the web.

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      _____

      <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=91358&pa
      rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

    • Stephen Hodge
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2005
        Dear Ole,

        Your posts are useful and of interest, but could you possibly stop
        "top-posting" -- your most recent message was a.good example. If you do not
        know what top-posting is and why it is to be avoided, please do a google
        search for details.

        Many thanks,
        Stephen Hodge
      • Gunnar Gällmo
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
          --- Stephen Hodge
          <s.hodge@...> skrev:

          > Dear Ole,
          >
          > Your posts are useful and of interest, but could you
          > possibly stop
          > "top-posting" -- your most recent message was a.good
          > example. If you do not
          > know what top-posting is and why it is to be
          > avoided, please do a google
          > search for details.

          I disagree about the principle that top-posting should
          always be avoided. Bottom-posting an answer to a
          message which fills the entire screen may be very
          confusing, as you don't see the answer at once.

          Gunnar
        • Stephen Hodge
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
            Dear Gunnar,

            > I disagree about the principle that top-posting should
            > always be avoided. Bottom-posting an answer to a
            > message which fills the entire screen may be very
            > confusing, as you don't see the answer at once.

            One should use one's common sense -- but that is not quite what is meant by
            top-posting. Top-posting is generally understood to be piling up message
            after message in replies back and forth without deleting all that is
            redundant. I don't want to make a big issue of this and make Ole feel
            uncomfortable, but if you look at his last message, you will see that he
            top-posted onto three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.
            There are several issues here. If messages are archived by a group, it
            makes searching topics / threads confusing. Also, many people have slow
            connections AND have to pay by the minute for connection times (like me) --
            if everybody did the same as Ole, then my phone bill would steadily increase
            with no benefit to me.

            Generally, it is regarded as good netiquette to snip out = [snip] and only
            quote the necessary pieces of a previous message that are required to make
            sense. In fact, if you do not do this and top-post, as I have described, in
            some groups such as the academic H-NET ones, your message does not get
            posted.

            So, no big deal really, but just a question of mindfulness.

            Best wishes,
            Stephen Hodge
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
              Dear Stephen, Gunnar, Ole and friends,

              I agree that it is unsightly to have the trailing garbage, and it is
              advised that members be mindful of the issue. All Yahoo! Groups'
              messages come with a footer, either the moderator insert one (as is
              for this group) or Yahoo! will put in a default footer, pointing the
              receipient to Yahoo! Terms of Service, etc.

              Together with this footer is advertisements, which is known as
              from Yahoo! server. So, they would just keep piling up if no one trim
              them off.

              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                _____

                So, they would just keep piling up if no one trim
                them off.

                I agree,

                The inconvenience of dealing with the barbage just never ccurred to me. I
                have a very fast connection..

                Ole Pind

                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Dear Rene and friends,

                  thanks for the information. You are always welcome to put useful
                  documents in the Files section. However, please ensure it is not
                  duplicated. If there is any problem, please write to me offlist.
                  Thank you.

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rsalm wrote:

                  I have a Word document with the 1,000 most common Pali words. Don't
                  have a URL source, and am not sure where on the web it comes from. It
                  lists the word and the frequency count. 'Hoti' is #1 (26150
                  times). 'pajahati' comes in at 707 times. Don't know if this is just
                  the Suttapitaka. Will try to attach it to this message. It's 88 kb (5
                  pages). Alternatively, Yong Peng may want to place it in the file
                  section of the list. If it doesn't go through, we'll have to think of
                  something else.
                • rett
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                    > I don't want to make a big issue of this and make Ole feel
                    >uncomfortable, but if you look at his last message, you will see that he
                    >top-posted onto three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.

                    That was mostly my fault, I believe. I normally trim footers but I had failed to do so in the message of mine that Ole quoted. That's why it became so long.

                    best regards,

                    /Rett