Re: SV: [Pali] most common words?

  • rett
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 3, 2005
      Hi Piya and group.

      I don't have an firm opinion on the topic of Magadhisms since I used to just assume everything in Geiger was true, but now I see some of it has been called into question. But I can perhaps respond to a few parts of your question.

      >The impression I get is that Hajime Nakamura in his Gotama Buddha vol 2 (page 263 n59) says that it is bhikkhavo that is the Magadhism.

      That's interesting. Geiger/Norman §82.3 identify the /-e/ ending form as a Magadhism. Final /e/ where we would expect /o/ is typical of the words considered Magadhisms.

      >What is the significance of "Magadhism"? Does this mean that the passage or section was added during the Asokan period?

      As I understand it, no. Magadhisms would be forms dating already from the period when the Buddha was teaching. The idea is that the Pali as we know it is a different, probably later, dialect than the one in which the Buddha taught, but that certain old forms were retained for various reasons.

      The usual Anglo/German explanation of bhikkhave is that since the Buddha addressed his followers in exactly that way, and everyone had heard the word pronounced that way, it was retained even when the canon was recited in the dialect now called Pali.

      In the samaññaphalasutta in the dighanikaya one of the samanas expounds his doctrine using nominative singulars ending in -e, which is considered a typical Magadhism. This could perhaps be a way of portraying his character (since dialects can be associated with certain stereotyped figures). Maybe it makes him sound like a country-bumpkin or something. It's hard to say.

      best regards,

      /Rett

    • Everett Thiele
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2005
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ole Holten Pind" <oleholtenpind@m...> wrote:

        > Dear Dmytro,
        >
        > Your list would be very interesting to me. I regard distribution
        lists to be
        > the way to solid linguistic research of the language of the canon.

        Do you think it might be a good idea to do some trimming in the corpus
        first? There are so many repeated formula, both in doctrinal sections
        and elsewhere, that many words show a much higher frequency than they
        ought to.

        Perhaps an approach would be to take all passages that are repeated
        verbatim (such as doctrinal lists and opening formulas) and only count
        them once total in the sample.

        I suppose it would depend on the purpose of the frequency list. For
        pedagogical purposes it's probably a good idea that upasa.mkamitvaa
        and saavatthiya.m have artificially high rankings. But for studies of
        the language itself, that would appear to be misleading.

        best regards,

        /Rett
      • Ole Holten Pind
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2005
          _____

          The usual Anglo/German explanation of bhikkhave is that since the Buddha
          addressed his followers in exactly that way, and everyone had heard the word
          pronounced that way, it was retained even when the canon was recited in the
          dialect now called Pali.

          Yes, but as I have pointed out below this assumption is contradicted by the
          distribution in the canon of bhikkhave and bhikkhavo.

          regards

          Ole Pind

          best regards,

          /Rett

          >Sukhi,
          >
          >Piya
          >
          >--- Ole Holten Pind <oleholtenpind@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> There is certainly a lot of important statistical information that
          >> might be
          >> interesting to pull out of the canon. To give one example of many.
          >> Take, for
          >> instance, the assumption that the Pali canon contains Magadhisms.
          >> Philologists believe that the vocative bhikkhave, for instance, is
          >> Magadhism as opposed to that of bhikkhavo. However, there are well
          >> over
          >> 26.000 examples of the use of bhikkhave in the canon, but only about
          >> 160
          >> quotable instances of bhikkhavo. Any linguistically inclined
          >> philologist
          >> would find that statistically significant. The distribution of the
          >> two
          >> vocatives show that bhikkhavo only occurs in verse and in initial
          >> position
          >> in prose, whereas bhikkhave never occurs in such environments. This
          >> indicates that the interpretation of bhikkhave as a Magadhism is
          >> dubious to
          >> say the very least.
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> Ole Pind
          >>
          >> _____

          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Theravada+buddhism&w1=Theravada+buddhis
          m&w2=Tibetan+buddhism&w3=Zen+buddhism&c=3&s=64&.sig=143HA6VIJ6mWxeVKQqQFhg>
          buddhism Tibetan
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tibetan+buddhism&w1=Theravada+buddhism&
          w2=Tibetan+buddhism&w3=Zen+buddhism&c=3&s=64&.sig=kFGn80DzpxnMd3qPWEko-g>
          buddhism Zen
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Zen+buddhism&w1=Theravada+buddhism&w2=T
          ibetan+buddhism&w3=Zen+buddhism&c=3&s=64&.sig=QR8c79yJKSfiXn_UCl1T0Q>
          buddhism

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

          <http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=91358&pa
          rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

        • Stephen Hodge
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2005
            Dear Ole,

            Your posts are useful and of interest, but could you possibly stop
            "top-posting" -- your most recent message was a.good example. If you do not
            know what top-posting is and why it is to be avoided, please do a google
            search for details.

            Many thanks,
            Stephen Hodge
          • Gunnar Gällmo
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
              --- Stephen Hodge
              <s.hodge@...> skrev:

              > Dear Ole,
              >
              > Your posts are useful and of interest, but could you
              > possibly stop
              > "top-posting" -- your most recent message was a.good
              > example. If you do not
              > know what top-posting is and why it is to be
              > avoided, please do a google
              > search for details.

              I disagree about the principle that top-posting should
              always be avoided. Bottom-posting an answer to a
              message which fills the entire screen may be very
              confusing, as you don't see the answer at once.

              Gunnar
            • Stephen Hodge
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
                Dear Gunnar,

                > I disagree about the principle that top-posting should
                > always be avoided. Bottom-posting an answer to a
                > message which fills the entire screen may be very
                > confusing, as you don't see the answer at once.

                One should use one's common sense -- but that is not quite what is meant by
                top-posting. Top-posting is generally understood to be piling up message
                after message in replies back and forth without deleting all that is
                redundant. I don't want to make a big issue of this and make Ole feel
                uncomfortable, but if you look at his last message, you will see that he
                top-posted onto three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.
                There are several issues here. If messages are archived by a group, it
                makes searching topics / threads confusing. Also, many people have slow
                connections AND have to pay by the minute for connection times (like me) --
                if everybody did the same as Ole, then my phone bill would steadily increase
                with no benefit to me.

                Generally, it is regarded as good netiquette to snip out = [snip] and only
                quote the necessary pieces of a previous message that are required to make
                sense. In fact, if you do not do this and top-post, as I have described, in
                some groups such as the academic H-NET ones, your message does not get
                posted.

                So, no big deal really, but just a question of mindfulness.

                Best wishes,
                Stephen Hodge
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 5, 2005
                  Dear Stephen, Gunnar, Ole and friends,

                  I agree that it is unsightly to have the trailing garbage, and it is
                  advised that members be mindful of the issue. All Yahoo! Groups'
                  messages come with a footer, either the moderator insert one (as is
                  for this group) or Yahoo! will put in a default footer, pointing the
                  receipient to Yahoo! Terms of Service, etc.

                  Together with this footer is advertisements, which is known as
                  from Yahoo! server. So, they would just keep piling up if no one trim
                  them off.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                    _____

                    So, they would just keep piling up if no one trim
                    them off.

                    I agree,

                    The inconvenience of dealing with the barbage just never ccurred to me. I
                    have a very fast connection..

                    Ole Pind

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Dear Rene and friends,

                      thanks for the information. You are always welcome to put useful
                      documents in the Files section. However, please ensure it is not
                      duplicated. If there is any problem, please write to me offlist.
                      Thank you.

                      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rsalm wrote:

                      I have a Word document with the 1,000 most common Pali words. Don't
                      have a URL source, and am not sure where on the web it comes from. It
                      lists the word and the frequency count. 'Hoti' is #1 (26150
                      times). 'pajahati' comes in at 707 times. Don't know if this is just
                      the Suttapitaka. Will try to attach it to this message. It's 88 kb (5
                      pages). Alternatively, Yong Peng may want to place it in the file
                      section of the list. If it doesn't go through, we'll have to think of
                      something else.
                    • rett
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 6, 2005
                        > I don't want to make a big issue of this and make Ole feel
                        >uncomfortable, but if you look at his last message, you will see that he
                        >top-posted onto three previous messages followed by a whole load of garbage.

                        That was mostly my fault, I believe. I normally trim footers but I had failed to do so in the message of mine that Ole quoted. That's why it became so long.

                        best regards,

                        /Rett