AN1.14.1-80 Etadagga Vagga (3/7)

    Message 1 of 366 , Oct 31 3:40 AM
      Dear friends,

      here is the third part of the celebrity list of the Buddha's
      disciples.

      A`nguttara Nikaya: Ekaka Nipaata
      Etadagga Vagga
      Tatiya Vagga

      22. "Etadagga.m, bhikkhave, mama saavakaana.m bhikkhuuna.m
      sikkhaakaamaana.m yadida.m raahulo.
      23. ... Saddhaapabbajitaana.m yadida.m ra.t.thapaalo.
      24. ... Pa.thama.m salaaka.m ga.nhantaana.m yadida.m ku.n.dadhaano.
      25. ... Pa.tibhaanavantaana.m yadida.m va`ngiiso.
      26. ... Samantapaasaadikaana.m yadida.m upaseno va`ngantaputto.
      27. ... Senaasanapa~n~naapakaana.m yadida.m dabbo mallaputto.
      28. ... Devataana.m piyamanaapaana.m yadida.m pilindavaccho.
      29. ... Khippaabhi~n~naana.m yadida.m baahiyo daaruciiriyo.
      30. ... Cittakathikaana.m yadida.m kumaarakassapo.
      31. ... Pa.tisambhidaapattaana.m yadida.m mahaako.t.thitoti.

      Vaggo tatiyo.

      A`nguttara Nikaya: Ekaka Nipaata
      Etadagga Vagga

      Tatiya Vagga
      third / part
      The Third Part

      1. "Etadagga.m, bhikkhave, mama saavakaana.m bhikkhuuna.m
      sikkhaakaamaana.m yadida.m raahulo.
      this is chief / monks / my / of disciples / of monks / of the ones
      anxious for training / that is / Rahula
      "This is the most eminent, monks, among the monks, my disciples,
      anxious for training: it is Rahula.

      etadagga = etad agga: this is chief.
      - etad (dem pron) this.
      - agga (adj) chief, best, excellent.
      bhikkhu (m) monk.
      mama (per pron) my.
      saavaka (m) disciple.
      sikkhaakaama (adj) anxious for training.
      yadida.m = ya ida.m: which is this, that is, in other words, so to
      speak, just this.
      - ya (rel pron, stem) which.
      - ida.m (dem pron, n/nom/sg) this.
      raahula (name) Rahula.

      2. ... Saddhaapabbajitaana.m yadida.m ra.t.thapaalo.
      of the ones becoming monks in faith / that is / Ratthapala
      Among those becoming monks by faith: it is Ratthapala.

      saddhaapabbajita (adj) one who become a monk/nun in faith.
      - saddhaa (f) faith.
      - pabbajita (pp of pabbajati) one ordained as a monk/nun.
      ra.t.thapaala (name) Ratthapala.

      3. ... Pa.thama.m salaaka.m ga.nhantaana.m yadida.m ku.n.dadhaano.
      first / meal-ticket / of the ones taking / that is / Kundadhana
      Among those taking the first meal-ticket: it is Kundadhana.

      pa.thama (adj) first.
      salaakaa (f) meal-ticket.
      ga.nhanta (ppr of ga.nhaati) taking.
      ku.n.dadhaana (name) Kundadhana.

      4. ... Pa.tibhaanavantaana.m yadida.m va`ngiiso.
      of the ones possessed of intelligence / that is / Vangisa
      Among those possessed of intelligence: it is Vangisa.

      pa.tibhaanavant (adj) possessed of intelligence.
      va`ngiisa (name) Vangisa.

      5. ... Samantapaasaadikaana.m yadida.m upaseno va`ngantaputto.
      of the serene ones / that is / Upasena / Vangantaputta
      Among the serene ones: it is Upasena Vangantaputta.

      samantapaasaadika (adj) all-pleasing, serene.
      upasena (name) Upasena.
      va`ngantaputta (name) Vangantaputta.

      6. ... Senaasanapa~n~naapakaana.m yadida.m dabbo mallaputto.
      of the regulators of lodging-places / that is / Dabba / son of Mallas
      Among those regulating lodging-places: it is Dabba of Mallas.

      senaasanapa~n~naapaka (m) regulator of lodging-places.
      dabba (name) Dabba.
      mallaputta (name) son of Mallas.
      - malla (place) Mallas.
      - putta (m) son.

      7. ... Devataana.m piyamanaapaana.m yadida.m pilindavaccho.
      to devas / of the ones pleasing / that is / Pilinda Vaccha
      Among those pleasing to the devas: it is Pilinda Vaccha.

      devataa (f) deva.
      piyamanaapa (adj) pleasing.
      pilindavaccha (name) Pilinda Vaccha.

      8. ... Khippaabhi~n~naana.m yadida.m baahiyo daaruciiriyo.
      of the ones with quick intuition / that is / Bahiya / oak-bark
      Among those with quick intuition: it is oak-bark Bahiya.

      khippaabhi~n~naa (f) quick intuition.
      baahiya (name) Bahiya.
      daaruciiriya (adj) of the bark of oak.
      - daaru (n) oak.
      - ciiriya (adj) of bark.

      9. ... Cittakathikaana.m yadida.m kumaarakassapo.
      of the brilliant speakers / that is / Kumara Kassapa
      Among the brilliant speakers: it is Kumara Kassapa.

      cittakathika = cittakathin (m) brilliant speaker.
      kumaarakassapa (name) Kumara Kassapa.

      10. ... Pa.tisambhidaapattaana.m yadida.m mahaako.t.thitoti.
      of the ones who have attained mastership in analysis / that is / Maha
      Kotthita
      Among the masters of analysis: it is Maha Kotthita.

      pa.tisambhidaapatta (m) one who has attained mastership in analysis.
      mahaako.t.thita (name) Maha Kotthita.

      Vaggo tatiyo.
      part / third
      The Third Part

      vagga (m) chapter, part.
      tatiya (num ord) third.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****