Re: [Pali] basic Question

  • james Miner
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2005
      Rett,
      Thank you, that was very helpful. This group rocks!
      all the best,
      James
      --- rett <rett@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Hi James,

      In canonical pali the aorist endings are used with maa
      in the
      prohibitive sense: don't do something. In commentarial
      prose pali it
      is more common to use the imperative endings with maa
      in the same
      sense. So just think of it as a special function of
      the aorist; it
      doesn't signify past time together with maa.

      Best regards,

      /Rett

      >I had a question for anyone willing.
      >in the sentence maa sama.na.m upasa.mkami
      >how does it become "do not approach the recluse" ?
      >Isn't upasa.mkami in the aorist form? "approached"?

      - - - -
      Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
      Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options
      to daily digest or web only.

      Pali
      Theravada buddhism
      Beyond belief