Re: [Pali] Professor Bapat and his work

  • Hugo
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2005
      Hello Dmytro,

      On 10/6/05, Dmytro Ivakhnenko <nibbanka@...> wrote:
      > Recently my friend has scanned the book "Vimuttimagga and
      > Visuddhimagga: a Comparative study" written by
      >
      > Purushottam Vishvanath Bapat, M.A., A.M. Ph.D (Harvard), Retired
      > Professor of Ancient Indian Culture, pali, and Buddhism, Poona
      > University and Fergusson College, Poona,
      [...]

      > Since this book is hard to find even in libraries, I would like it to
      > be available on the Web.
      > However I would like to clarify copyright issues.
      >
      > Maybe you know or can find out the whereabouts of professor Bapat and
      > copyrights on this book?

      The US copyright office has a FAQ website:
      http://www.copyright.gov
      http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

      http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration
      How long does a copyright last?
      The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several
      factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date
      of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after Jan.
      1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an
      additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a
      work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from
      the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year
      of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published
      prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To
      determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work,
      consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States
      Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in
      Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

      Do I have to renew my copyright?
      No. Works created on or after Jan. 1, 1978, are not subject to renewal
      registration. As to works published or registered prior to Jan. 1,
      1978, renewal registration is optional after 28 years but does provide
      certain legal advantages. For information on how to file a renewal
      application as well as the legal benefit for doing so, see Circular
      15, Renewal of Copyright, and Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright.

      Also, you may ask them:
      Note: The Copyright Office offers introductory answers to frequently
      asked questions about copyright, registration, and services of the
      Office. Links throughout the answers will guide you to further
      information on our website or from other sources. For any other
      questions, please visit our Contact Us page.

      Greetings,
      --
      Hugo