Translation problem

  • alanmcclure3
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2005
      Hello all,

      I can't seem to figure out how to break down the following:

      ``yampissa ta.m, bhikkhave, khayasmi.m khaye~n~naa.na.m, tampi
      saupanisa.m vadaami, no anupanisa.m.

      I am assuming that "tampi" is "ta.m" + "pi" and so it makes me think
      that "yampissa" is "ya.m" + "pi" + "'ssa" and my guess is that the
      "'ssa" is "assa" which could be (as far as I know) optative 3rd person
      sg of as- I or a gen/dat sg dem pro. I don't see how "it should be"
      or "it may be" would fit here, so that leads me to the pronoun, but I
      don't see a noun in the right case for "of/for this" to link up with.
      The others are locative and accusative, i.e.,:

      ``yam [rel pro/n/nom/sg] that
      pi [indec] also
      `(a)ssa [?] ?
      ta.m, [dem pro/m/acc/sg] this
      bhikkhave, [m-u/voc/pl] bhikkhus
      khayasmi.m [m-a/loc/sg] in reference to destruction
      khaye [m-a/loc/sg] about destruction
      ~n~naa.na.m, [adj/m/acc/sg] knowing
      tam [dem pro/f/acc/sg] this
      pi [indec] also
      saupanisa.m [f-aa/acc/sg] has a cause
      vadaami, [vad I/ind act/1st sg] I say
      no [indec] indeed not
      anupanisa.m.[f-aa/acc/sg] not-cause

      Any help would be appreciated because I obviously am missing something
      here or have analyzed something incorrectly.

      Metta,

      Alan