References

  • nyanatusita bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
      Dear Pali Group,

      Would anyone know the precise references for the following two statements?

      1: "When Brahmins said that they could wash away their sins by bathing in sacred rivers, the Buddha joked that the water might wash away their good deeds also."

      2: "There were so many arahants flying through the sky around Cittalapabbata monastery in the Roha.na kingdom that the farmers' crops
      did not grow well due to lack of sunlight.''

      I was told that 1 is from the Jaataka- commentary and that 2 might be from the Mahaava.msa subcommentary.

      I need them for a book that I am editing.

      Best wishes,
      Bh. Nyanatusita

      Kandy
      Sri Lanka

    • "Kåre A. Lie"
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
        At 18:45 05.10.2005 +0600, Bh. Nyanatusita wrote:

        >Dear Pali Group,
        >
        >Would anyone know the precise references for the following two statements?
        >
        >1: "When Brahmins said that they could wash away their sins by bathing in
        >sacred rivers, the Buddha joked that the water might wash away their good
        >deeds also."

        Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but in Theriigaatha,
        So.lasanipaata, the Therii Pu.n.naa makes exactly this joke about brahmans
        and bathing. She also suggests that if bathing in sacred rivers was a way
        to get to heaven, then surely crocodiles would go to heaven, too ... why,
        heaven must be filled with fish and frogs, watersnakes, tortoises and
        crocodiles .... :-)

        Best regards,

        Kåre A. Lie
        http://www.lienet.no

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
          Dear Kåre and friends,

          yes, I have heard this one too.

          I was on the road with a colleague on Thursday, and we saw a dead
          pigeon lying on the road. It is common here in Brisbane, where birds
          exhausted by the summer heat fly very low and got hit by a running
          vehicle. The colleague joked that "when pigeons die, they go to
          pigeon heaven". I was then thinking, "I hope so, and may the pigeon
          God bless the poor pigeon soul."