Professor Bapat and his work

  • Dmytro Ivakhnenko
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hello Pali friends,

      Recently my friend has scanned the book "Vimuttimagga and
      Visuddhimagga: a Comparative study" written by

      Purushottam Vishvanath Bapat, M.A., A.M. Ph.D (Harvard), Retired
      Professor of Ancient Indian Culture, pali, and Buddhism, Poona
      University and Fergusson College, Poona,

      and published in 1937 by Jogesh Chandra Sarkhel at the Calcutta
      Oriental Press Private Limited, 9, Panchanan Ghose Lane, Calcutta-9.

      In this book professor Bapat presents partial Pali reconstruction of
      Vimuttimagga.

      Since this book is hard to find even in libraries, I would like it to
      be available on the Web.
      However I would like to clarify copyright issues.

      Maybe you know or can find out the whereabouts of professor Bapat and
      copyrights on this book?

      Best wishes, Dmytro
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
        Recently my friend has scanned the book "Vimuttimagga and
        Visuddhimagga: a Comparative study" written by

        Purushottam Vishvanath Bapat, M.A., A.M. Ph.D (Harvard), Retired Professor
        of Ancient Indian Culture, pali, and Buddhism, Poona University and
        Fergusson College, Poona,

        and published in 1937 by Jogesh Chandra Sarkhel at the Calcutta Oriental
        Press Private Limited, 9, Panchanan Ghose Lane, Calcutta-9.

        In this book professor Bapat presents partial Pali reconstruction of
        Vimuttimagga.

        Since this book is hard to find even in libraries, I would like it to be
        available on the Web.
        However I would like to clarify copyright issues.

        Maybe you know or can find out the whereabouts of professor Bapat and
        copyrights on this book?

        Best wishes, Dmytro

        It is an ecellent idea to make this book available to scholars. I am not an
        expert on copyright issues, but I would think that after more than sixty
        years the book is in the public domain.

        Regards,

        Ole Pind

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM
      • Hugo
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2005
          Hello Dmytro,

          On 10/6/05, Dmytro Ivakhnenko <nibbanka@...> wrote:
          > Recently my friend has scanned the book "Vimuttimagga and
          > Visuddhimagga: a Comparative study" written by
          >
          > Purushottam Vishvanath Bapat, M.A., A.M. Ph.D (Harvard), Retired
          > Professor of Ancient Indian Culture, pali, and Buddhism, Poona
          > University and Fergusson College, Poona,
          [...]

          > Since this book is hard to find even in libraries, I would like it to
          > be available on the Web.
          > However I would like to clarify copyright issues.
          >
          > Maybe you know or can find out the whereabouts of professor Bapat and
          > copyrights on this book?

          The US copyright office has a FAQ website:
          http://www.copyright.gov
          http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

          http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration
          How long does a copyright last?
          The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several
          factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date
          of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after Jan.
          1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an
          additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a
          work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from
          the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year
          of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published
          prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To
          determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work,
          consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States
          Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in
          Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

          Do I have to renew my copyright?
          No. Works created on or after Jan. 1, 1978, are not subject to renewal
          registration. As to works published or registered prior to Jan. 1,
          1978, renewal registration is optional after 28 years but does provide
          certain legal advantages. For information on how to file a renewal
          application as well as the legal benefit for doing so, see Circular
          15, Renewal of Copyright, and Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright.

          Also, you may ask them:
          Note: The Copyright Office offers introductory answers to frequently
          asked questions about copyright, registration, and services of the
          Office. Links throughout the answers will guide you to further
          information on our website or from other sources. For any other
          questions, please visit our Contact Us page.

          Greetings,
          --
          Hugo