AN1.13.1-20 Ekapuggala Vagga (1/2)

    Message 1 of 366 , Oct 3, 2005

      please find below the first part of Ekapuggala Vagga.

      Ekapuggala Vagga

      1. "Ekapuggalo, bhikkhave, loke uppajjamaano uppajjati
      bahujanahitaaya bahujanasukhaaya lokaanukampaaya atthaaya hitaaya
      sukhaaya devamanussaana.m. Katamo ekapuggalo? Tathaagato araha.m
      sammaasambuddho. Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalo loke uppajjamaano
      uppajjati bahujanahitaaya bahujanasukhaaya lokaanukampaaya atthaaya
      hitaaya sukhaaya devamanussaanan"ti.

      2. "Ekapuggalassa, bhikkhave, paatubhaavo dullabho lokasmi.m.
      Katamassa ekapuggalassa? Tathaagatassa arahato sammaasambuddhassa.
      Imassa kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalassa paatubhaavo dullabho lokasmin"ti.

      3. "Ekapuggalo, bhikkhave, loke uppajjamaano uppajjati
      acchariyamanusso. Katamo ekapuggalo? Tathaagato araha.m
      sammaasambuddho. Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalo loke uppajjamaano
      uppajjati acchariyamanusso"ti.

      4. "Ekapuggalassa, bhikkhave, kaalakiriyaa bahuno janassa anutappaa
      hoti. Katamassa ekapuggalassa? Tathaagatassa arahato
      sammaasambuddhassa. Imassa kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalassa kaalakiriyaa
      bahuno janassa anutappaa hotii"ti.

      Ekapuggala Vagga
      one-person / chapter
      The Chapter on One Person

      1. "Ekapuggalo, bhikkhave, loke uppajjamaano uppajjati
      bahujanahitaaya bahujanasukhaaya lokaanukampaaya atthaaya hitaaya
      sukhaaya devamanussaana.m.
      one-person / monks / in world / being born / is born / of multitude-
      to benefit / of multitude-to happiness / for world-from mercy / to
      advantage / to benefit / to happiness / of men and gods
      "One man, monks, being born in the world, is born to the benefit of a
      great many, to the happiness of a great many, out of mercy for the
      world, to the advantage, to the benefit, to the happiness of men and
      gods.

      ekapuggala [K] eka puggala
      - eka (adj num) one, a certain.
      - puggala (m) individual, person.
      bhikkhu (m) monk.
      loka (m) world.
      uppajjati (v) is born.
      bahujanahita [T-gen] bahujanassa hita (n) benefit of the multitude.
      - bahujana [K] bahu jana (m) many beings, multitude.
      -- bahu (adj) much, many.
      -- jana (m) person, being.
      - hita (n) benefit.
      sukha (n) happiness.
      anukampaa (f) compassion, pity, mercy.
      attha (m & n) advantage.
      devamanussa [D] devaa ca manussaa ca (m) men and gods.
      - deva (m) god.
      - manussa (m) man.

      Katamo ekapuggalo?
      who / one-person
      Who is the (one) man?

      katama (adj emphatic interrogative) who.

      Tathaagato araha.m sammaasambuddho.
      Tathagata / exalted one / perfectly enlightened one
      The Tathagata, the exalted and perfectly enlightened one.

      tathaagata (m) epithet of the Buddha, Tathagata.
      arahanta (adj) exalted one.
      sammaasambuddha (m) perfectly enlightened one.

      Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalo loke uppajjamaano uppajjati
      bahujanahitaaya bahujanasukhaaya lokaanukampaaya atthaaya hitaaya
      sukhaaya devamanussaanan"ti.
      this / indeed / monks / one-person / in world / is being born / is
      born / of multitude-to benefit / of multitude-to happiness / for
      world-from mercy / to advantage / to benefit / to happiness / of men
      and gods
      Indeed, monks, this (is) the one man, being born in the world, (who)
      is born to the benefit of a great many, to the happiness of a great
      many, out of mercy for the world, to the advantage, to the benefit,
      to the happiness of men and gods."

      aya.m (dem pron, m) this.
      kho (indec) indeed.

      2. "Ekapuggalassa, bhikkhave, paatubhaavo dullabho lokasmi.m.
      of one person / monks / appearance / hard to get / in world
      "Monks, the appearance of one person in the world (is) rare.

      paatubhaava (m) appearance.
      - paatu (indec) in front, visible, manifest.
      - bhaava (m) condition, becoming, nature.
      dullabha = du+l+labha (adj) hard to get.

      Katamassa ekapuggalassa?
      of which / of one person
      Of which (one) person?

      katama (adj interr) which.

      Tathaagatassa arahato sammaasambuddhassa.
      of Tathagata / of exalted one / of perfectly enlightened one
      Of the Tathagata, the exalted and perfectly enlightened one.

      Imassa kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalassa paatubhaavo dullabho lokasmin"ti.
      of this / indeed / monks / of one person / appearance / hard to get /
      in world
      Indeed, monks, the appearance of this one person in the world (is)
      rare."

      3. "Ekapuggalo, bhikkhave, loke uppajjamaano uppajjati
      acchariyamanusso.
      one-person / monks / in world / being born / is born / marvelous-man
      "One man, monks, being born is the world, is born an extraordinary
      man.

      acchariya (adj) wonderful, marvelous.

      Katamo ekapuggalo?
      who / one-person
      Who is the (one) man?

      Tathaagato araha.m sammaasambuddho.
      Tathagata / exalted one / perfectly enlightened one
      The Tathagata, the exalted and perfectly enlightened one.

      Aya.m kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalo loke uppajjamaano uppajjati
      acchariyamanusso"ti.
      this / indeed / monks / one-person / in world / being born / is
      born / marvelous-man
      Indeed, monks, this (is) the one person, being born in the world,
      (who) is born an extraordinary man."

      4. "Ekapuggalassa, bhikkhave, kaalakiriyaa bahuno janassa anutappaa
      hoti.
      of one person / monks / death / for many / for being / should be
      regretted / is
      "Monks, the demise of one person is regrettable for many being(s).

      kaalakiriyaa (f) death.
      anutappati (v, passive) is sorry for, regrets, repents, feels remorse.
      hoti (v) verb to be.

      Katamassa ekapuggalassa?
      of which / of one person
      Of which (one) person?

      Tathaagatassa arahato sammaasambuddhassa.
      of Tathagata / of exalted one / of perfectly enlightened one
      Of the Tathagata, the exalted and perfectly enlightened one.

      Imassa kho, bhikkhave, ekapuggalassa kaalakiriyaa bahuno janassa
      anutappaa hotii"ti.
      of this / indeed / monks / of one person / death / for many / for
      being / should be regrettable / is
      Indeed, monks, the demise of this one person is regrettable for many
      being(s).

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****