Re: Pali - Dhammacakkappavattana sutta

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      Dear nina,

      You can find my full translation of the Dhammacakkappavattana sutta at
      the very end of chapter 12 at the place on Yong Peng's web-site for
      the Pali Day-by-day Series B:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/paliload.php?page=b12

      I've also included below the last section of the sutta that talks
      about Ko.n.dañña. Hope this is what you are looking for.

      Have a wonderful trip to India!
      With metta, John

      Imasmiñca pana veyyaakara.nasmi.m bhaññamaane aayasmato Ko.n.daññassa
      viraja.m viitamala.m dhammacakkhu.m udapaadi – "ya.m kiñci
      samudayadhamma.m, sabba.m ta.m nirodhadhamman"ti.
      Then when this explication was being spoken, there arose in the
      venerable Kondañña the vision of the Dhamma, free from defilement or
      stain – "Whatever is subject to arising, all that is subject to
      cessation".

      Pavattite ca pana Bhagavataa dhammacakke Bhummaa devaa
      saddamanussaavesu.m – "eta.m Bhagavataa Baaraa.nasiya.m Isipatane
      Migadaaye anuttara.m dhammacakka.m pavattita.m appa.tivattiya.m
      sama.nena vaa braahma.nena vaa devena vaa maarena vaa brahmunaa vaa
      kenaci vaa lokasmin"ti.

      And then on the setting in motion of the Wheel of the Dhamma by the
      Blessed One, the terrestrial devas raised a shout – "The unsurpassed
      Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One, at Baranasi
      in the Deer Park at Isipatana, and this cannot be turned back by any
      recluse or Brahmin or deva or Mara or Brahma or by anyone in the world".
      Bhummaana.m devaana.m sadda.m sutvaa Caatumahaaraajikaa devaa
      saddamanussaavesu.m – "eta.m Bhagavataa Baaraa.nasiya.m Isipatane
      Migadaaye anuttara.m dhammacakka.m pavattita.m, appa.tivattiya.m
      sama.nena vaa braahma.nena vaa devena vaa maarena vaa brahmunaa vaa
      kenaci vaa lokasmin"ti.
      Having heard the shout of the terrestrial devas, the Four Great Kings
      raised a shout – "The unsurpassed Wheel of Dhamma has been set in
      motion by the Blessed One, at Baranasi in the Deer Park at Isipatana,
      and this cannot be turned back by any recluse or Brahmin or deva or
      Mara or Brahma or by anyone in the world".

      Caatumahaaraajikaana.m devaana.m sadda.m sutvaa Taavati.msaa devaa
      …pe… Yaamaa devaa …pe… Tusitaa devaa …pe… Nimmaanaratii devaa …pe…
      Paranimmitavasavattii devaa …pe… Brahmakaayikaa devaa
      saddamanussaavesu.m– "eta.m Bhagavataa Baaraa.nasiya.m Isipatane
      Migadaaye anuttara.m dhammacakka.m pavattita.m appa.tivattiya.m
      sama.nena vaa braahma.nena vaa devena vaa maarena vaa brahmunaa vaa
      kenaci vaa lokasmin"ti.
      Having heard the shout of the Four Great Kings, the Tavatimsa devas …
      etc …the Yama devas … etc … the Tusita devas … etc … the Nimmanarati
      devas … etc … the Paranimmitavasavatti devas … etc … the devas of
      Brahma's body raised a shout – "The unsurpassed Wheel of Dhamma has
      been set in motion by the Blessed One, at Baranasi in the Deer Park at
      Isipatana, and this cannot be turned back by any recluse or Brahmin or
      deva or Mara or Brahma or by anyone in the world".

      Itiiha tena kha.nena, tena layena‚ tena muhuttena yaava Brahmalokaa
      saddo abbhuggacchi. Ayañca dasasahassi lokadhaatu sa"nkampi sampakampi
      sampavedhi. Appamaa.no ca u.laaro obhaaso loke paaturahosi atikkamma
      devaana.m devaanubhaava.m.
      At that moment, at that instant, at that second, the shout arose in
      the Brahma world. And this ten thousandfold world trembled, quaked,
      and shook violently. And an unlimited noble radiance appeared in the
      world surpassing the divine majesty of the devas.

      Atha kho Bhagavaa udaana.m udaanesi – "Aññaasi vata, bho Ko.n.dañño,
      aññaasi vata, bho Ko.n.dañño"ti! Iti h'ida.m aayasmato Ko.n.daññassa
      `Aññaasi-Ko.n.dañño' tv'eva naama.m ahosii'ti.
      Then the Blessed One uttered a paean of joy – "Kondañña indeed has
      understood! Kondañña indeed has understood! In this way
      "Kondañña-who-has-understood" became the name of the venerable Kondañña.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
      > Dear John,
      > I am printing out this sutta you gave us in 13 parts, to take to
      India on
      > Monday. But the last three parts I missed (about Añña Kondañña).
      Where in
      > the files could I retrieve it?
      > Thank you for the trouble,
      > Nina.
    • Jaran Jai-nhuknan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        Dear Nina and John:

        Thank you, John.

        Have a safe trip to India, Nina.

        jaran

        > Have a wonderful trip to India!
        > With metta, John

        Yahoo! for Good
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          Dear John,
          Thank you very much, also for your good wishes. That is very kind of you.
          I am glad you also posted the text, on the Web some letters do not come out
          well, it is the font.
          Nina.