Pali - Every few days - [C289]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      Pali - Every few days - [C289]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      English into Pali (Part 3 of 5)

      Then Jiivaka Komaarabhacca soon attained ((p)pa-aap)
      discretion …
      atha kho / jiivako / komaarabhacco / na-cirass (eva) /
      paapu.ni / vi~n~nuta.m
      atha kho jiivako komaarabhacco nacirasseva vi~n~nuta.m
      paapu.ni …

      Then he thought this: “These royal courts (are) not
      easy to live upon without-a-profession (ins.:
      ‘with-a-non-profession’).
      atha kho / jiivakassa komaarabhaccassa / ahosi / etad
      / imaani (kho) / raaja-kulaani / na / sukaraani /
      upajiivitu.m / asippena
      atha kho jiivakassa komaarabhaccassa etadahosi: imaani
      kho raajakulaani na sukaraani asippena upajiivitu.m.

      Supposing I were to learn (opt.) a profession?”
      ya.mnuuna / aha.m sikkheyya.m / sippa.m (iti)
      ya.mnuunaaha.m sippa.m sikkheyyanti.

      Now at that time there dwelt (present tense) in
      Takkasilaa a doctor
      who-was-the-foremost-of-(all)-regions.
      pana (kho) / tena / samayena / pa.tivasati /
      takkasilaaya.m / vejjo / disaa-paamokkho
      tena kho pana samayena takkasilaaya.m disaapaamokkho
      vejjo pa.tivasati.

      Metta, John
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        Dear John,
        I am printing out this sutta you gave us in 13 parts, to take to India on
        Monday. But the last three parts I missed (about Añña Kondañña). Where in
        the files could I retrieve it?
        Thank you for the trouble,
        Nina.
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
          Dear nina,

          You can find my full translation of the Dhammacakkappavattana sutta at
          the very end of chapter 12 at the place on Yong Peng's web-site for
          the Pali Day-by-day Series B:
          http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/paliload.php?page=b12

          I've also included below the last section of the sutta that talks
          about Ko.n.dañña. Hope this is what you are looking for.

          Have a wonderful trip to India!
          With metta, John

          Imasmiñca pana veyyaakara.nasmi.m bhaññamaane aayasmato Ko.n.daññassa
          viraja.m viitamala.m dhammacakkhu.m udapaadi – "ya.m kiñci
          samudayadhamma.m, sabba.m ta.m nirodhadhamman"ti.
          Then when this explication was being spoken, there arose in the
          venerable Kondañña the vision of the Dhamma, free from defilement or
          stain – "Whatever is subject to arising, all that is subject to
          cessation".

          Pavattite ca pana Bhagavataa dhammacakke Bhummaa devaa
          saddamanussaavesu.m – "eta.m Bhagavataa Baaraa.nasiya.m Isipatane
          Migadaaye anuttara.m dhammacakka.m pavattita.m appa.tivattiya.m
          sama.nena vaa braahma.nena vaa devena vaa maarena vaa brahmunaa vaa
          kenaci vaa lokasmin"ti.

          And then on the setting in motion of the Wheel of the Dhamma by the
          Blessed One, the terrestrial devas raised a shout – "The unsurpassed
          Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One, at Baranasi
          in the Deer Park at Isipatana, and this cannot be turned back by any
          recluse or Brahmin or deva or Mara or Brahma or by anyone in the world".
          Bhummaana.m devaana.m sadda.m sutvaa Caatumahaaraajikaa devaa
          saddamanussaavesu.m – "eta.m Bhagavataa Baaraa.nasiya.m Isipatane
          Migadaaye anuttara.m dhammacakka.m pavattita.m, appa.tivattiya.m
          sama.nena vaa braahma.nena vaa devena vaa maarena vaa brahmunaa vaa
          kenaci vaa lokasmin"ti.
          Having heard the shout of the terrestrial devas, the Four Great Kings
          raised a shout – "The unsurpassed Wheel of Dhamma has been set in
          motion by the Blessed One, at Baranasi in the Deer Park at Isipatana,
          and this cannot be turned back by any recluse or Brahmin or deva or
          Mara or Brahma or by anyone in the world".

          Caatumahaaraajikaana.m devaana.m sadda.m sutvaa Taavati.msaa devaa
          …pe… Yaamaa devaa …pe… Tusitaa devaa …pe… Nimmaanaratii devaa …pe…
          Paranimmitavasavattii devaa …pe… Brahmakaayikaa devaa
          saddamanussaavesu.m– "eta.m Bhagavataa Baaraa.nasiya.m Isipatane
          Migadaaye anuttara.m dhammacakka.m pavattita.m appa.tivattiya.m
          sama.nena vaa braahma.nena vaa devena vaa maarena vaa brahmunaa vaa
          kenaci vaa lokasmin"ti.
          Having heard the shout of the Four Great Kings, the Tavatimsa devas …
          etc …the Yama devas … etc … the Tusita devas … etc … the Nimmanarati
          devas … etc … the Paranimmitavasavatti devas … etc … the devas of
          Brahma's body raised a shout – "The unsurpassed Wheel of Dhamma has
          been set in motion by the Blessed One, at Baranasi in the Deer Park at
          Isipatana, and this cannot be turned back by any recluse or Brahmin or
          deva or Mara or Brahma or by anyone in the world".

          Itiiha tena kha.nena, tena layena‚ tena muhuttena yaava Brahmalokaa
          saddo abbhuggacchi. Ayañca dasasahassi lokadhaatu sa"nkampi sampakampi
          sampavedhi. Appamaa.no ca u.laaro obhaaso loke paaturahosi atikkamma
          devaana.m devaanubhaava.m.
          At that moment, at that instant, at that second, the shout arose in
          the Brahma world. And this ten thousandfold world trembled, quaked,
          and shook violently. And an unlimited noble radiance appeared in the
          world surpassing the divine majesty of the devas.

          Atha kho Bhagavaa udaana.m udaanesi – "Aññaasi vata, bho Ko.n.dañño,
          aññaasi vata, bho Ko.n.dañño"ti! Iti h'ida.m aayasmato Ko.n.daññassa
          `Aññaasi-Ko.n.dañño' tv'eva naama.m ahosii'ti.
          Then the Blessed One uttered a paean of joy – "Kondañña indeed has
          understood! Kondañña indeed has understood! In this way
          "Kondañña-who-has-understood" became the name of the venerable Kondañña.

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
          > Dear John,
          > I am printing out this sutta you gave us in 13 parts, to take to
          India on
          > Monday. But the last three parts I missed (about Añña Kondañña).
          Where in
          > the files could I retrieve it?
          > Thank you for the trouble,
          > Nina.
        • Jaran Jai-nhuknan
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            Dear Nina and John:

            Thank you, John.

            Have a safe trip to India, Nina.

            jaran

            > Have a wonderful trip to India!
            > With metta, John

            Yahoo! for Good
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              Dear John,
              Thank you very much, also for your good wishes. That is very kind of you.
              I am glad you also posted the text, on the Web some letters do not come out
              well, it is the font.
              Nina.