Pali - Every few days - [C288]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2005
      Pali - Every few days - [C288]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      English into Pali (Part 2 of 5)

      Having seen he asked people: “What (is) that, I say!,
      surrounded by crows?”
      disvaana / pucchi / manusse / ki.m / eta.m / bha.ne /
      sampariki.n.na.m / kaakehi (iti)
      disvaana manusse pucchi: ki.m eta.m, bha.ne, kaakehi
      sampariki.n.nanti?

      “A boy, O king (title devo used in addressing a prince
      of the blood).”
      daarako / deva (iti)
      daarako, devaati.

      “(Does he) live, I say!(?)”
      jiivati / bha.ne (iti)
      jiivati, bha.neti?

      “(He) lives, O king.”
      jiivati / deva (iti)
      jiivati, devaati.

      “Now! I say! having led that boy to our citadel give
      (him) to nurses to rear.” …
      tena hi / bha.ne / netvaa / ta.m / daaraka.m /
      amhaaka.m / antepura.m / detha / dhaatiina.m /
      posetu.m (iti)
      tena hi, bha.ne, ta.m daaraka.m amhaaka.m antepura.m
      netvaa dhaatiina.m detha posetunti. …

      They made the name “Jiivaka” for him (thinking): “(he)
      lives”;
      aka.msu / naama.m / jiivako (iti) / tassa / jiivati
      (iti)
      tassa jiivatiiti jiivakoti naama.m aka.msu.

      they made the name “Komaarabhacca” (thinking): “(He)
      was caused to be reared by the prince.”
      aka.msu / naama.m / komaarabhacco (iti) / posaapito /
      kumaarena (iti)
      kumaarena posaapitoti ‘komaarabhacco’ti naama.m
      aka.msu.

      Metta, John