Re: Pali Day by Day E022

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 219 , Sep 25, 2005
      Dear Florent,
      I don't think there has to be some standard way - it's entirely up to
      you (the translator) what choice to make, or whether even to show
      alternative possibilities. If this was not an isolated sentence,
      shown out of context, it would probably be much clearer as to the best
      translation. E.g. if one knew that the slaves in question were
      rebellious then they might take horses to the enemies, but it seems
      more likely to me that someone's slaves would be taking away the
      enemies' horses.

      With metta,
      John

      Message 219 of 219 , Mar 8, 2007
        Dear Florent,

        allow me to suggest the following correction:
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbiisatiyaa vassaana.m upari kaala.m
        akaasi.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, flrobert2000 wrote:

        8. King Edward VII died 26 years ago.
        bhuupati / Edwardnaamo / sattamo / kaalam akaasi /
        chabbiisati / vasse / upari
        Sattamo Edwardnaamo bhuupati chabbisati vasse upari kaalam akaasi.