SV: [Pali] Bahubhihii or Kammadhaaraya

  • Ole Holten Pind
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2005
      -----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
      Fra: Pali@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Pali@yahoogroups.com] På vegne af Khemaramsi
      Sendt: 25. september 2005 10:01
      Til: Pali Group
      Emne: [Pali] Bahubhihii or Kammadhaaraya

      Dear Pind and others

      If akusala-sa.nkhaataa qualify dhammaa, that is, dhammas called as the unwholesome, what type of compound, according to Pali grammarians, does akusala-sa.nkhaataa belongs to? Bahubhihii or Kammadhaaraya ? I am inclined to think it a kammadhaaraya, which is called sambhaavanaapubbapada in a grammar book by Ven. U Pandita,from whom I learned Pali grammar for two months. But, I am not sure. Any comment is appreciated.

      It is sometimes difficult to decide with absolute certainty to which type any given compound belongs. Now this is not a possessive compound and it is not a kammadhaaraya either. It is a dependent compound i.e. a tappurisa, if you like, akusala being dependent upon sa.nkhaataa: called (by the term) akusala.

      Hope this helps

      With kind regards

      Ole Pind

      metta

      Tzung-Kuen

      ___________________________________________________ 郔陔唳 Yahoo!藻撈籵? 7.0 betaㄛ轎愐鋒繚??斕湖ㄐ http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/beta.html

      ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM
    • Khemaramsi
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2005
        Dear Dr. Pind

        Thanks for your answer. It sounds reasonalbe to take it as a tappurissa compound. But why not a kammadhaaraya, which is called sambhaavanaapubbapada?

        metta

        Tzung-Kuen

        Ole Holten Pind <oleholtenpind@...> 說:

        ___________________________________________________ ?��???Yahoo!?嗉��?��?蝐? 7.0 beta?��??��?蝜???��?皝��? http://messenger.yahoo.com.tw/beta.html

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

      • Ole Holten Pind

[...]

          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net [Files] http://www.geocities.com/paligroup/
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
          Paaliga.na - a community for Pali students Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or web only.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
            Dear Dr. Pind

            Many thanks for your patience. I've just ordered the Sanskrit grammar you mentioned.

            best wishes

            Ole Holten Pind <oleholtenpind@...> 隤迎?

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net [Files] http://www.geocities.com/paligroup/
            [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
            Paaliga.na - a community for Pali students Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options to daily digest or web only.

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/b0VolB/TM

            [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
            [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

            Buddhism religion An introduction to buddhism Pali Theravada buddhism