Pali - Every few days - [C286]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21 4:41 PM
      Pali - Every few days - [C286]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      Passages for Reading 3 (Part 5 of 5)

      eva.m vutte cattaaro Mahaa-raajaa ta.m bhikkhu.m etad
      avocu.m:
      thus / said / four / great-kings / this / monk / thus
      / said
      When this was said, the Four Great Kings replied to
      this monk:

      mayam pi kho, bhikkhu, na jaanaama yatth’ ime cattaaro
      mahaabhuutaa aparisesaa nirujjhanti, seyyathiida.m
      pa.thavii-dhaatu aapo-dhaatu tejo-dhaatu
      vaayo-dhaatuu.
      we / too / indeed / monk / not / we know / where /
      these / four / great elements / without remainder /
      cease / namely / earth-element / water-element /
      fire-element / air-element
      “Monk, we also do not know where these four great
      elements, that is, the earth, water, fire, and air
      elements, cease without remainder.

      atthi kho bhikkhu Taavati.msaa naama devaa amhehi
      abhikkanta-taraa ca pa.niita-taraa ca.
      there are / indeed / monk / the thirty-three / named /
      devas / than us / advanced-more / and / excellent-more
      / and
      There are, monk, the Thirty-Three devas, who are more
      advanced and excellent than us.

      te kho eva.m jaaneyyu.m yatth’ ime cattaaro
      mahaabhuutaa aparisesaa nirujjhantii ti.
      they / indeed / thus / would know / where / these /
      four / great elements / without remainder / cease /
      (end-quote)
      Indeed they would know where these four great elements
      cease without remainder.”
      [D.I.215-6 – xi.(Kevaddha).67-69]

      Metta, John