Re: A Pali Plea

  • onco111
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2002
      Hi Steve,
      A year or so ago I stumbled onto a very nice reading of the
      Dhammapada on the web, complete with sound files, English
      translation, and translation notes. I downloaded the *.wav's for the
      first fifty or so verses, but in the meantime I lost the website
      where all these things were located. It really is a nice reading and
      would lend itself well to your project, but I don't know who did the
      reading and notes. Does this website sound familiar to anyone here?

      Dan

      P.S. Robert, you seem to have been studying Pali a little more
      closely lately. I think this is wonderful. I'd love to join you [long
      distance] sometime in Pali and closer Abhidhamma study, but it won't
      be for at least a year.
    • robertkirkpatrick.rm
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 23, 2002
        ---
        Dear Dan and Steve,
        It could be a page wynn mentioned last year . It was from a taiwan
        university and I had a link but the link doesn't work now - you just
        get the main page:
        http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/index.htm If Wynn sees this perhaps she
        can help.
        Yes, I am getting keen on the Pali, Jim Anderson and Suan have been
        an inspiration and the help that is available on this list is really
        outstanding (thanks to all) - Andy's Palitrans makes things much
        easier, and the CSCD is priceless. I just saw Ven. Kumara's note
        about the Gair file - very handy - as I ordered the book yesterday.

        rob

        In Pali@y..., "onco111" <dhd5@c...> wrote:
        > Hi Steve,
        > A year or so ago I stumbled onto a very nice reading of the
        > Dhammapada on the web, complete with sound files, English
        > translation, and translation notes. I downloaded the *.wav's for
        the
        > first fifty or so verses, but in the meantime I lost the website
        > where all these things were located. It really is a nice reading
        and
        > would lend itself well to your project, but I don't know who did
        the
        > reading and notes. Does this website sound familiar to anyone
        here?

        > Dan
        >
        > P.S. Robert, you seem to have been studying Pali a little more
        > closely lately. I think this is wonderful. I'd love to join you
        [long
        > distance] sometime in Pali and closer Abhidhamma study, but it
        won't
        > be for at least a year.
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2002
          Dan, Steve, Robert, et al.
          Yes, this is the one and I recently discovered it was
          moved too. Go to the link mentioned and click on
          Online Courses on the left. Or go directly to
          http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm
          Then under the Pali tab, open up the "Readings in Pali
          Texts" and you will find your way to the Dhammapada.
          There each verse is listed and includes a very nice
          parsing of the Pali (extremely helpful to beginners!)
          and English translations, brief commentary and sound
          files for the whole verse and for each word.
          There are lots of other useful resources for Pali
          students there too.
          Unfortunately the site is now more inconsistent in its
          response - sometimes very slow, and sometimes failing
          to open, and other times opening just fine - so be
          patient. It's definitely worth looking at.
          Metta,
          John
          --- "robertkirkpatrick.rm"

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2002
            Dan, Steve, Robert, et al.
            Yes, this is the one and I recently discovered it was
            moved too. Go to the link mentioned and click on
            Online Courses on the left. Or go directly to
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm .
            Then on the Pali tab open up the "Readings in Pali"
            and you will find your way to the Dhammapada. There
            each verse is listed and includes a very nice parsing
            of the Pali (extremely helpful to beginners!) and
            English translations, brief commentary and sound files
            for the whole verse and for each word.
            There is a lot of other good stuff on this page for
            students of Pali, including other sound files,
            readings and grammatical info.
            Unfortunately the site now seems to be on a slower
            server than before - it is sometimes very slow and
            doesn't always open reliably - other times it's fine -
            so be patient; it's well worth a visit.
            Metta,
            John
            --- "robertkirkpatrick.rm"

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
              Excellent, John. Thanks!

              This is on a different (and less convenient) server than it was on
              before, but it IS an excellent resource.

              Dan

            • Bill Strider
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                After several tries, I was able to get into the site, and I
                agree that it is a valuable resource. However, my browser
                doesn't display the fonts correctly.

                For instance, it displays j instead of .m, v instead of "n,
                etc.

                I have several Pali fonts installed on my computer. Is
                there some other one that I need to view these pages
                correctly?

                Thanks, and metta,

                Bill

                --- John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote:
                > Dan, Steve, Robert, et al.
                > Yes, this is the one and I recently discovered it was
                > moved too. Go to the link mentioned and click on
                > Online Courses on the left. Or go directly to
                > http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm .
                > Then on the Pali tab open up the "Readings in Pali"
                > and you will find your way to the Dhammapada. There
                > each verse is listed and includes a very nice parsing
                > of the Pali (extremely helpful to beginners!) and
                > English translations, brief commentary and sound files
                > for the whole verse and for each word.
                > There is a lot of other good stuff on this page for
                > students of Pali, including other sound files,
                > readings and grammatical info.
                > Unfortunately the site now seems to be on a slower
                > server than before - it is sometimes very slow and
                > doesn't always open reliably - other times it's fine -
                > so be patient; it's well worth a visit.
                > Metta,
                > John

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • ypong001
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                  Hi John and Bill,

                  I have problem accessing the site too. I guess it is residing on a
                  slow server or is not connected to a huge pipe, because many other
                  taiwanese sites don't give the same problem. You may like to try at a
                  time when traffic is low in Taiwan, probably weekday nights.

                  yp.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                    Dear Bill, John and Steve,

                    1. there are currently two mirror sites but they are not updated:

                    (a) Ohio State University (USA)
                    http://pears2.lib.ohio-state.edu/

                    (b) Heidelberg University (Germany)
                    http://sino-sv3.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/
                    http://sino-sv3.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/PALI/p-alpha5.htm

                    2. the new site is still better:

                    (a) you need another font to view thw pages :-)
                    http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/font/foreign1.zip

                    you have to unzip/extract the file Fore000.ttf and install it through
                    Control Panel >> Fonts >> File >> Install New Font...

                    (b) you can "skip" the main page and go directly to the dhammapada
                    pages: http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali/reading/gatha1.htm

                    replace gatha1.htm with gathaX.htm, where X=1 to 423, for example,
                    http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali/reading/gatha409.htm

                    There are 423 verses in Dhp. but the furthest I can go is 409. You
                    may have better luck.

                    3. The main page has more goodies:
                    http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm

                    You may try to access to DBLM page first: http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                      Hi Yong Peng & Pali Friends,

                      This is a great website, such websites truly lengthen our lives by saving our time
                      and labour. Mudita to the anonymous contributor/s. I've downloaded Dh 273-274 for the
                      Key to Pali Suttas class.

                      However, the translation of Dh 348 (like many other translations) reads too much into
                      it. It should in this case be literally rendered to keep the background of the origin
                      story (of Ugga the acrobat, see Comy) intact and tnteresting.

                      Let go of the front. Let go of the back.
                      Let go of the middle...

                      Imagine you are Ugga poised on your head on a high bamboo pole performing to a
                      box-office market-place crowd with Buddha as the guest of honour (according to DhA),
                      and the Buddha utters this verse.

                      Sukhi.

                      P.

                    • mangesh dahiwale
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 10, 2002
                        Can anybody tell me the impact of Buddha Dhamma on
                        Upanishad,
                        Metta,
                        Mangesh

                        http://sbc.yahoo.com
                      • robertkirkpatrick.rm
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 14, 2002
                          Dear Steve,
                          I came across this site today which has CD's of a monk chanting in
                          pali. http://www.buddhist-book.com/prod05.htm

                          ""A unique feature of SBMC is the production of Audio CDs of
                          Buddhist chants. The pali text is chanted by Venarabal Wergoda
                          Sarada Maha Thero ""
                          robert

                          --- In Pali@y..., "McClain, Steven" <steven.mcclain@t...> wrote:
                          > I am interested in learning some basic Pali and it has occurred to
                          me that it
                          > would be very helpful to me, and probably countless others who
                          have no access
                          > to a local source, if there was an internet audio source available
                          to guide
                          > beginners in the proper pronunciation of the language. I have
                          found written
                          > documents on the internet suggesting how to pronounce the
                          different sounds
                          > and letter combinations but these are no match for
                          actually 'hearing' the
                          > language spoken by someone familiar with the language.
                          >
                          > If this idea is something that the Pali Community might like to
                          support, then
                          > I would be happy to offer my time, equipment and talents to seeing
                          this idea
                          > to completion and producing .WAV and/or .MP3 files and an
                          accompany .PDF file
                          > of the spoken text. What I would require of the other person(s)
                          is the