RE: [Pali] A Pali Plea

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 22, 2002
      Dear Venerables; Hi Group;

      Dear Steven;

      Just a few thoughts. I'm delighted to hear of your project!

      a) Sound files

      I've also been working on this (on and off) for the last couple of years.
      For instance, Venerable Mettavihari at Metta Net in Sri Lanka provided me
      the 597 "single word" sound files that are available in the Files section of
      this group. (All I did was rename them, convert them to mp3 format, and make
      them available on the web). I also know that the folks at Watthai Net in
      Australia have solid experience with sound files. I would suggest that you
      contact both of them.

      My free "fancy flashcard" learning software "Input Easy" (also in the Files
      section of this group) can use mp3 sound files. Input Easy supports easy
      entry of Pali characters, automatic flash, and so on. In version 1.4 I
      improved the support for sound files, hoping that someone would start a
      project to create useful sound files that could be used with (or without!)
      Input Easy.

      You can imagine how glad I was to hear that you might take this up. I see
      great benefit in it, and it would also help me in my Pali studies :-)

      I would like to suggest the following idea.

      It would be great if the Pali questions/exercises to common Pali grammar
      books were recorded as single sentences. A person could listen to them with
      their "media player", or use them with Input Easy for very simple "drill and
      practice" type learning.

      How do you feel about this idea?

      b) Palitrans 2.0

      Have you looked at Palitrans 2.0 in the Files section of this group?

      I'm also a programmer. Palitrans 2.0 doesn't support Unicode because I have
      an old Win/ME computer and an old version of Visual C++ 6.0. I have made the
      program as "Unicode aware" as possible (including, as comments, all the
      Unicode codes for the Pali characters).

      If my assessment is correct, it shouldn't take a Unicode experienced
      programmer more than a few hours to create a full Unicode version of
      Palitrans. (I've received requests for this from all over the world for the
      last couple of years!)

      Any chance you could take a quick look at it? I can email you the source
      code.

      peace from

      Andy

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 22, 2002
        Hi Steve,
        A year or so ago I stumbled onto a very nice reading of the
        Dhammapada on the web, complete with sound files, English
        translation, and translation notes. I downloaded the *.wav's for the
        first fifty or so verses, but in the meantime I lost the website
        where all these things were located. It really is a nice reading and
        would lend itself well to your project, but I don't know who did the
        reading and notes. Does this website sound familiar to anyone here?

        Dan

        P.S. Robert, you seem to have been studying Pali a little more
        closely lately. I think this is wonderful. I'd love to join you [long
        distance] sometime in Pali and closer Abhidhamma study, but it won't
        be for at least a year.
      • robertkirkpatrick.rm
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 23, 2002
          ---
          Dear Dan and Steve,
          It could be a page wynn mentioned last year . It was from a taiwan
          university and I had a link but the link doesn't work now - you just
          get the main page:
          http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/index.htm If Wynn sees this perhaps she
          can help.
          Yes, I am getting keen on the Pali, Jim Anderson and Suan have been
          an inspiration and the help that is available on this list is really
          outstanding (thanks to all) - Andy's Palitrans makes things much
          easier, and the CSCD is priceless. I just saw Ven. Kumara's note
          about the Gair file - very handy - as I ordered the book yesterday.

          rob

          In Pali@y..., "onco111" <dhd5@c...> wrote:
          > Hi Steve,
          > A year or so ago I stumbled onto a very nice reading of the
          > Dhammapada on the web, complete with sound files, English
          > translation, and translation notes. I downloaded the *.wav's for
          the
          > first fifty or so verses, but in the meantime I lost the website
          > where all these things were located. It really is a nice reading
          and
          > would lend itself well to your project, but I don't know who did
          the
          > reading and notes. Does this website sound familiar to anyone
          here?

          > Dan
          >
          > P.S. Robert, you seem to have been studying Pali a little more
          > closely lately. I think this is wonderful. I'd love to join you
          [long
          > distance] sometime in Pali and closer Abhidhamma study, but it
          won't
          > be for at least a year.
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2002
            Dan, Steve, Robert, et al.
            Yes, this is the one and I recently discovered it was
            moved too. Go to the link mentioned and click on
            Online Courses on the left. Or go directly to
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm
            Then under the Pali tab, open up the "Readings in Pali
            Texts" and you will find your way to the Dhammapada.
            There each verse is listed and includes a very nice
            parsing of the Pali (extremely helpful to beginners!)
            and English translations, brief commentary and sound
            files for the whole verse and for each word.
            There are lots of other useful resources for Pali
            students there too.
            Unfortunately the site is now more inconsistent in its
            response - sometimes very slow, and sometimes failing
            to open, and other times opening just fine - so be
            patient. It's definitely worth looking at.
            Metta,
            John
            --- "robertkirkpatrick.rm"

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • John Kelly
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2002
              Dan, Steve, Robert, et al.
              Yes, this is the one and I recently discovered it was
              moved too. Go to the link mentioned and click on
              Online Courses on the left. Or go directly to
              http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm .
              Then on the Pali tab open up the "Readings in Pali"
              and you will find your way to the Dhammapada. There
              each verse is listed and includes a very nice parsing
              of the Pali (extremely helpful to beginners!) and
              English translations, brief commentary and sound files
              for the whole verse and for each word.
              There is a lot of other good stuff on this page for
              students of Pali, including other sound files,
              readings and grammatical info.
              Unfortunately the site now seems to be on a slower
              server than before - it is sometimes very slow and
              doesn't always open reliably - other times it's fine -
              so be patient; it's well worth a visit.
              Metta,
              John
              --- "robertkirkpatrick.rm"

            • onco111
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
                Excellent, John. Thanks!

                This is on a different (and less convenient) server than it was on
                before, but it IS an excellent resource.

                Dan

              • Bill Strider
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                  After several tries, I was able to get into the site, and I
                  agree that it is a valuable resource. However, my browser
                  doesn't display the fonts correctly.

                  For instance, it displays j instead of .m, v instead of "n,
                  etc.

                  I have several Pali fonts installed on my computer. Is
                  there some other one that I need to view these pages
                  correctly?

                  Thanks, and metta,

                  Bill

                  --- John Kelly <palistudent@...> wrote:
                  > Dan, Steve, Robert, et al.
                  > Yes, this is the one and I recently discovered it was
                  > moved too. Go to the link mentioned and click on
                  > Online Courses on the left. Or go directly to
                  > http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm .
                  > Then on the Pali tab open up the "Readings in Pali"
                  > and you will find your way to the Dhammapada. There
                  > each verse is listed and includes a very nice parsing
                  > of the Pali (extremely helpful to beginners!) and
                  > English translations, brief commentary and sound files
                  > for the whole verse and for each word.
                  > There is a lot of other good stuff on this page for
                  > students of Pali, including other sound files,
                  > readings and grammatical info.
                  > Unfortunately the site now seems to be on a slower
                  > server than before - it is sometimes very slow and
                  > doesn't always open reliably - other times it's fine -
                  > so be patient; it's well worth a visit.
                  > Metta,
                  > John

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                • ypong001
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                    Hi John and Bill,

                    I have problem accessing the site too. I guess it is residing on a
                    slow server or is not connected to a huge pipe, because many other
                    taiwanese sites don't give the same problem. You may like to try at a
                    time when traffic is low in Taiwan, probably weekday nights.

                    yp.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                      Dear Bill, John and Steve,

                      1. there are currently two mirror sites but they are not updated:

                      (a) Ohio State University (USA)
                      http://pears2.lib.ohio-state.edu/

                      (b) Heidelberg University (Germany)
                      http://sino-sv3.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/
                      http://sino-sv3.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/PALI/p-alpha5.htm

                      2. the new site is still better:

                      (a) you need another font to view thw pages :-)
                      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/font/foreign1.zip

                      you have to unzip/extract the file Fore000.ttf and install it through
                      Control Panel >> Fonts >> File >> Install New Font...

                      (b) you can "skip" the main page and go directly to the dhammapada
                      pages: http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali/reading/gatha1.htm

                      replace gatha1.htm with gathaX.htm, where X=1 to 423, for example,
                      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/pali/reading/gatha409.htm

                      There are 423 verses in Dhp. but the furthest I can go is 409. You
                      may have better luck.

                      3. The main page has more goodies:
                      http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/olcourse/olcourse.htm

                      You may try to access to DBLM page first: http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/DBLM/

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 28, 2002
                        Hi Yong Peng & Pali Friends,

                        This is a great website, such websites truly lengthen our lives by saving our time
                        and labour. Mudita to the anonymous contributor/s. I've downloaded Dh 273-274 for the
                        Key to Pali Suttas class.

                        However, the translation of Dh 348 (like many other translations) reads too much into
                        it. It should in this case be literally rendered to keep the background of the origin
                        story (of Ugga the acrobat, see Comy) intact and tnteresting.

                        Let go of the front. Let go of the back.
                        Let go of the middle...

                        Imagine you are Ugga poised on your head on a high bamboo pole performing to a
                        box-office market-place crowd with Buddha as the guest of honour (according to DhA),
                        and the Buddha utters this verse.

                        Sukhi.

                        P.

                      • mangesh dahiwale
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 10, 2002
                          Can anybody tell me the impact of Buddha Dhamma on
                          Upanishad,
                          Metta,
                          Mangesh

                          http://sbc.yahoo.com
                        • robertkirkpatrick.rm
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 14, 2002
                            Dear Steve,
                            I came across this site today which has CD's of a monk chanting in
                            pali. http://www.buddhist-book.com/prod05.htm

                            ""A unique feature of SBMC is the production of Audio CDs of
                            Buddhist chants. The pali text is chanted by Venarabal Wergoda
                            Sarada Maha Thero ""
                            robert