Pali - Every few days - [C284]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2005
      Pali - Every few days - [C284]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      Passages for Reading 3 (Part 3 of 5)

      eva.m vutte Caatu-mahaa-raajikaa devaa ta.m bhikkhu.m
      etad avocu.m:
      thus / said / four-great-kings / devas / this / monk /
      thus / said
      When this was said, the devas of the Four Great Kings
      replied to this monk:

      mayam pi kho, bhikkhu, na jaanaama yatth’ ime cattaaro
      mahaabhuutaa aparisesaa nirujjhanti, seyyathiida.m
      pa.thavii-dhaatu aapo-dhaatu tejo-dhaatu
      vaayo-dhaatuu.
      we / too / indeed / monk / not / we know / where /
      these / four / great elements / without remainder /
      cease / namely / earth-element / water-element /
      fire-element / air-element
      “Monk, we also do not know where these four great
      elements, that is, the earth, water, fire, and air
      elements, cease without remainder.

      atthi kho bhikkhu cattaaro Mahaaraajaa amhehi
      abhikkanta-taraa ca pa.niitataraa ca.
      there are / indeed / monk / four / great kings / than
      us / advanced-more / and / excellent-more / and
      There are, monk, the Four Great Kings, who are more
      advanced and excellent than us.

      te kho eva.m jaaneyyu.m, yatth’ ime cattaaro
      mahaabhuutaa aparisesaa nirujjhanti seyyathiida.m
      pa.thavii-dhaatu aapo-dhaatu tejo-dhaatu vaayo-dhaatuu
      ti.
      they / indeed / thus / might know / where / these /
      four / great elements / without remainder / cease /
      namely / earth-element / water-element / fire-element
      / air-element / (end-quote)
      Indeed they might know where these four great
      elements, that is, the earth, water, fire, and air
      elements, cease without remainder.”

      Metta, John