Re: [Pali] Re: Warder Exercises - [F007]

  • Jaran Jai-nhuknan
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 3, 2005
      Dear Yong Peng:

      Now I understand. The root muc becomes different stems
      (including itself) which conjugate differently (II and III)
      regardless of prefixes.

      Thanks.
      jaran

      --- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:

      > Dear Alan, Jaran and friends,
      >
      > Jaran: no, the conjugation is independent of prefixes. What it
      > is
      > dependent on is an advance topic, and beyond my comprehension.
      >
      > Perhaps our aspiring linguist friends can help.
      >
      > For now, it is simply a matter of knowing the conjugation for
      > each
      > verb. (Just as knowing the gender of each noun.)
      >
      > Allow me to illustrate, and bear with me if I get the
      > terminology
      > wrong.
      >

      > ROOT: muc
      >

      > (1a) The root is also a stem on its own.
      >
      > STEM: muc
      >
      > (1b) Now, into conjugation.
      >
      > II: mu~ncati (active)
      > III: muccati (passive)
      >

      > (2a) Adding a prefix introduces a new stem.
      >
      > STEM: vi+muc
      >
      > (2b) Now, into conjugation.
      >
      > III: vimuccati (passive)
      >

      > Hope that helps.
      >

      > metta,
      > Yong Peng.
      >

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jaran Jai-nhuknan wrote:
      >
      > I am now confused. From what Alan said, the conjugation
      > depends on
      > prefixes.(?) Should conjugation be considered of the based on
      > the
      > word alone and not the root? Are there a lot of roots that
      > change
      > conjugation when combined with different prefixes?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • rett
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 26, 2005
        Hi Yong Peng,

        >Dear Rett, Ole, Alan and friends,
        >
        >thanks, Rett. I am starting to understand that. How then would you
        >translate:
        >
        >kamma.m kho pana me karontassa kaayo kilanto, handaaha.m nipajjaami

        My body is tired from doing all this work... suppose I go put on my
        pyjamas (nipajjaami).

        Or go have a lie-down :-)

        best regards,

        /Rett