Re: Warder Exercises - [F007]

    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 3, 2005
      Dear Alan, Jaran and friends,

      Jaran: no, the conjugation is independent of prefixes. What it is
      dependent on is an advance topic, and beyond my comprehension.
      Perhaps our aspiring linguist friends can help.

      For now, it is simply a matter of knowing the conjugation for each
      verb. (Just as knowing the gender of each noun.)

      Allow me to illustrate, and bear with me if I get the terminology
      wrong.

      ROOT: muc

      (1a) The root is also a stem on its own.

      STEM: muc

      (1b) Now, into conjugation.

      II: mu~ncati (active)
      III: muccati (passive)

      (2a) Adding a prefix introduces a new stem.

      STEM: vi+muc

      (2b) Now, into conjugation.

      III: vimuccati (passive)

      Hope that helps.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Jaran Jai-nhuknan wrote:

      I am now confused. From what Alan said, the conjugation depends on
      prefixes.(?) Should conjugation be considered of the based on the
      word alone and not the root? Are there a lot of roots that change
      conjugation when combined with different prefixes?
    • rett
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 26, 2005
        Hi Yong Peng,

        >Dear Rett, Ole, Alan and friends,
        >
        >thanks, Rett. I am starting to understand that. How then would you
        >translate:
        >
        >kamma.m kho pana me karontassa kaayo kilanto, handaaha.m nipajjaami

        My body is tired from doing all this work... suppose I go put on my
        pyjamas (nipajjaami).

        Or go have a lie-down :-)

        best regards,

        /Rett