Kalama Sutta and Rebirth

  • Chris AndrĂ© Stranden
    Message 1 of 46 , Sep 2 10:39 AM
      Hello.

      1) Is the following excerpt from Kalama Sutta a valid argument for the view
      that the Buddha did not have a clear opinion upon the question of wether or
      not we are reborn?

      "'Suppose there is a hereafter and there is a fruit, result, of deeds done
      well or ill. Then it is possible that at the dissolution of the body after
      death, I shall arise in the heavenly world, which is possessed of the state
      of bliss.' This is the first solace found by him.

      "'Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds
      done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free
      from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself.' This is the second
      solace found by him.

      2) Are there any statements in the Tipitaka which indicates that the Buddha
      did not personally consider the teachings on rebirth as valid?

      Best Regards,
      Chris André Stranden
    • rett
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 26, 2005
        Hi Yong Peng,

        >Dear Rett, Ole, Alan and friends,
        >
        >thanks, Rett. I am starting to understand that. How then would you
        >translate:
        >
        >kamma.m kho pana me karontassa kaayo kilanto, handaaha.m nipajjaami

        My body is tired from doing all this work... suppose I go put on my
        pyjamas (nipajjaami).

        Or go have a lie-down :-)

        best regards,

        /Rett