about self and circumstances

  • jothiko
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2005
      Dear Ven. Jotika and friends,

      Bhante, thanks for your compliments. I apologize if the mail has
      upset
      you. If so, I am sorry for letting it through.

      As the moderator, and for the common interest of the group, can you
      please tell us a bit about yourself? Thanks.

      Self as memories, accumulated experience, familiar, recognized,
      proved
      `Educated' being, physical-mental phenomena, the `story',
      And even that misled, mostly fabricated, glossed.

      How does one answer that?
      Born of sankharas, there was so much ignorance …
      When seen, is one free from it?

      It has to be practiced over and over,
      `Sila': is the natural response, can it be always wholesome?
      `panna': the wisdom obscured by habit, ideas,
      desires, 'personality', the spontaneous wisdom of `now', as hidden
      by the habits and
      Intentions, tendencies that make a `self'.

      Thanks for the interest, but renunciation is a kind of death,
      The person is not identified with,
      One is outside society, a homeless.
      From that point, I know, one is asked to look at what makes (him) a
      monk.
      But then, again, one is reminded of the burden, will have more to
      carry back unto the mountain…

      To be part of the ancient, holy Buddhist tradition,
      Can there be a better way to live?

      Any one who wish to know
      Is invited to come and stay awhile here, with us or otherwise…
      Citalla Pabatta – the mountain of the happy mind
      Is a well known monastery in the south of Sri-Lanka.
      There are hundreds of caves, wind swept but quite dusty
      The walls were smothered for the former Arahats,
      One feels sometimes their spirit is still here.
      A place of gentle wisdom,
      No other place I saw where one does feel the Dhamma may carry one
      through, as far as he may go, where freedom is indeed unbound,
      uncompromising, full of love, internal, deep,
      Spontaneous and thoughtful.
      Can one be a one to adopt it, thoroughly studying experiences,
      psychological conditioning,
      Motives, greed, a sense of self, pride, and consider:
      Social circumstances, others, conventions of thought, body and
      speech.

      And then, against the grain, Can one find happiness in solitude?
      (We have the modern equivalent: to write about it…)
      There are wild animals: elephants and deer, leopards and languor
      monkeys, there are winds from the southern Indian Ocean.

      Not always so harsh, we have now the net, the main monastery is
      rather comfortable, many visitors…

      It is quite popular with sri-lankan, increasingly seeing nation as
      identity.
      Brought to perfection in the most ancient surviving Buddhism,
      It is deep and challenging for a foreigner.
      Though almost instinctual, almost violent toward any `view' but
      The doctrinally accepted, it is extremely sweet, a notion of
      The Buddha word makes good.

      We have rooms for guests, food is nothing to discuss, but
      That's a prerequisite for attaining Jhana…

      May our hearts be released.
      Bhikkhu Jothiko
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2005
        Venerable Bhante,
        I thank you for your post. I did not follow the thread before this, but I
        appreciate the way you write about your life story, in the way of Dhamma.
        Also your life as a bhikkhu, renunciation as a kind of death, being
        homeless, outside of society. About the burden.
        I also read in the Commentary that becoming a bhikkhu is like a new birth.
        With appreciation and respect,
        Nina.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
          Dear Nina and friends
          I appreciaye your respond,
          The point of death, or birth, in regard to taking the holy life,
          'brahmacariya' and indeed the practice, is attachments.

          the eight fold path as successive stages, implies the addoption of
          compassion and renounciation as right intention
          'sama sankapo'- from the beginning of the path.

          and certainly as a direct, unavoidable consequence of right view
          'sama ditthi pahoti sama sankapo', I think it is M.N. 117.
          not enough has been said about it, unfortunately...

          now is there a connection: pahoti- pahana... probbably not,
          but letting go, as a cause...

          Bhikkhu Jothiko