soul / not-soul quotes from A to I web site

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2002
      Dear Venerables; Hi Group;

      From the Access to Insight web site.

      I think that SN IV.3 summarizes nicely why there is so much discussion about
      "soul" vs. "not-soul". People who understand it don't get involved in
      discussing it.

      Sutta Nipata IV.3
      Dutthatthaka Sutta
      Corrupted

      SN XLIV.10 is an example of the Buddha applying the above principles:

      Samyutta Nikaya XLIV.10
      Ananda Sutta
      To Ananda
      (on Self, No Self, and Not-self)

      And finally:

      Majjhima Nikaya 72
      Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta
      To Vacchagotta on Fire

      Sample quote from MN 72:

      "Of course you're befuddled, Vaccha. Of course you're confused. Deep,
      Vaccha, is this phenomenon, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined,
      beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. For
      those with other views, other practices, other satisfactions, other aims,
      other teachers, it is difficult [Andy note: but not impossible! see:
      paccekabuddhas] to know."

      peace from

      Andy