[Pali] Warder Exercises: translation and grammatical analysis Ex. 2

  • Alan McClure
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2005
      Hello all,

      Here is Exercise 2. I'll post the third a bit later.

      Exercise 2:

      sugato dhamma.m bhaasati

      sugato [m-a/nom/sg] well-gone

      dhamma.m [m-a/acc/sg] Dhamma

      bhaasati [bhaa I/ind act/3rd sg] he speaks

      The well-gone one speaks the Dhamma

      upaasako patta.m aaharati

      upaasako [m-a/nom/sg] lay disciple

      patta.m [m-a/acc/sg] bowl

      aaharati [a+har I/ind act/3rd sg] he brings

      The lay disciple brings the bowl

      manussaa bhava.m icchanti

      manussaa [m-a/nom/pl] humans

      bhava.m [m-a/acc/sg] existence

      icchanti [is I/ind act/3rd pl] they wish for/ they desire

      Humans wish for existence.

      gaama.m gacchaama

      gaama.m [m-a/acc/sg] village

      gacchaama [gam I/ind act/ 1st pl] we go

      We go to the village

      sama.no aagacchati

      sama.no [m-a/nom/sg] ascetic

      aagacchati[aa+ gam I/ind act/3rd sg] he comes

      The ascetic comes

      tathaagato sugato hoti

      tathaagato [m-a/nom/sg] Thus Gone (the Buddha)

      sugato [m-a/nom/sg] well-gone

      hoti[huu I/ind act/3rd sg] he is

      The Buddha/The thus-gone is well-gone

      braahma.no purise pucchati

      braahma.no [m-a/nom/sg] priest

      purise [m-a/acc/pl] people

      pucchati [pucch I/ind act/3rd sg] he asks

      The priest asks the people

      devaa cavanti

      devaa [m-a/nom/pl] gods

      cavanti[cu I/ind act/3rd pl] they die

      The gods die

      vaada.m vadanti

      vaada.m [m-a/acc/sg] debate/statement

      vadanti[vad I/ind act/3rd pl] they say

      They speak the statement

      puttaa pabbajanti

      puttaa [m-a/nom/pl] sons

      pabbajanti[pa+vaj I/ind act/3rd pl] they go forth

      The sons go forth

      satto ti.t.thati

      satto [m-a/nom/sg] being

      ti.t.thati [thaa I/ind act/3rd sg] he stands/remains/stays

      The being stands [or] the being stays/remains

      sama.ne attha.m pucchanti

      sama.ne [m-a/acc/pl] ascetics

      attha.m [m-a/acc/sg] meaning

      pucchanti[pucch I/ind act/3rd pl] they ask

      They ask the ascetics the meaning
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2005
        Dear Alan and friends,

        thanks, Alan, for the translation and grammatical analysis of
        Warder's.

        However, because John is also posting on Warder's, it becomes a
        double run. I didn't really follow everything John has posted, so
        your postings give me the chance of a fresh start.

        Furthermore, a bit of coordination is required since I am also
        working through Narada's, and Florent has just started on
        Buddhadatta's. If only you could hold on to posting more of your
        solutions, I will sort the arrangement with you offlist.