Abhidhamma studies

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Some members may be interested in a fairly recent book though obviously of
      less interest to traditionalists.

      "Early Buddhist Metaphysics -- The making of a philosophical tradition" by
      Noa Rankin, RoutledgeCurzon 2005.

      A very interesting book but very expensive. The back blurb begins "This
      book provides a philosophiocal account of the major doctrinal shift in the
      history of early Theravada tradition in India: the transition from the
      earliest straum of Buddhist thought to the systematic and allegedly
      scholastic philosophy of the Pali Abhidama movement" etc.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge

      PS: Concerning upekkhaa-sati-parisuddhi -- I would prefer not to enlarge
      upon my comments on this term at present to avoid the kind of unskilful
      behaviour we experienced not too long ago here. Too many fondly-held
      assumptions might be challenged.