Pali - Every few days - [C275]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 7:50 AM
      Dear friends,
      My postings of this series has been on hold for a
      couple of weeks as I am not at home at the moment, but
      am on travels around the US and I only have
      infrequent, sporadic access to the internet. I will
      send the occasional instalment whenever I can.

      Pali - Every few days - [C275]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 35 of 41)

      dutiyam pi kho Vaase.t.thaa so satto …pe… tatiyam pi
      kho Vaase.t.thaa so satto saka.m bhaaga.m
      parirakkhanto a~n~natara.m bhaaga.m adinna.m
      aadiyitvaa paribhu~nji.
      a second time / indeed / Vasettha (and Bharadvaja) /
      this / being / … etc. … / a third time / this / being
      / own / share / protecting / a certain / share / not
      given / having taken / he ate
      Vasettha and Bharadvaja, a second time this being …
      etc. … and a third time this being, guarding his own
      share, took the share of another that hadn’t been
      given and ate it.

      tam ena.m aggahesu.m, aggahetvaa etad avocu.m:
      paapaka.m vata bho satta karosi, yatra hi naama saka.m
      bhaaga.m parirakkhanto a~n~natara.m bhaaga.m adinna.m
      aadiyitvaa paribhu~njasi.
      then / that one / they seized / having seized / this /
      they said / evil / alas! / sir / being / you do / in
      as much as / own / share / protecting / a certain /
      share / not given / having taken / you ate
      So they seized that one and said to him: “Alas, sir!
      You have done wrong when, guarding your own share, you
      took the share of another that hadn’t been given and
      ate it

      maa ssu bho satta puna pi evaruupam akaasii ti.
      do not / even / sir / being / again / such-thing / you
      do / (end-quote)
      Never again do such a thing!”

      Metta, John