Re: Introduction

  • junet9876
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi!

      I have the same interest! But I'm also very interested in the Suttas!

      It'll probably take some time though. Pali is one of the most
      difficult languages I've come across (and I've come across Thai,
      Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, German--though I've forgotten them all).

      But I think lots of reading is the key.

      June

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
      > Hi Hugh,
      > Welcome. I am also very interested in Abhidhamma and its
      commentaries. Let
      > us share this interest,
      > Nina.
      > op 29-07-2005 06:15 schreef Marj Cannon/Hugh Moore op marj-hugh@c...:
      >
      > > I joined the group today after learning about it on the Access to
      Insight
      > > web site. I am especially interested in Vipassana meditation and
      in the
      > > Abhidhamma. I hope to eventually gain enough of a reading
      knowledge of Pali
      > > to be able to read some of the Abhidhamma texts - especially
      commentaries -
      > > that are in Roman script.
    • George Schneider at home
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 21, 2006
        Hi,

        I've just joined the group, and the moderator suggested I introduce myself. I'm George Schneider,
        and I live in Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA. I've been studying Buddhism for about 10 years. I've
        found a wonderful meditation teacher who uses Pali terms, so I'd like to learn Pali.

        Thank you all for creating this group.

        George

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • anicchavatsankharo
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 8 2:43 AM
          Dear Sir, I am gauri shanker sharma from Lucknow, India. I am in love
          with Pali and Tipitaka. Kindly do share your Pali knowledge with me.
          I do not know much Pali. I would do my best to learn it. With metta
          and regards. Yours faithfully, g.s. sharma
        • josesiem
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 23, 2008
            Hi all,
            I just joined the group. I'm living in Seoul, Korea now teaching
            English. I want to start learning Pali. My interest in Pali stems from
            my interest and practice of Buddhism. I plan on ordering a couple of
            books and to start studying.

            I'd like to take a Pali course. Anyone know of any this summer? I've
            been scouring the internet, but I haven't found anything yet.

            Thanks.
            Joseph
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 26, 2008
              Hello Joseph. Welcome to the group. It is nice to hear from someone in
              Korea. Generally, in East Asia, most Buddhists practise Mahayana
              Buddhism. However, there are still some locals and foreigners
              practising Theravada Buddhism. There is also monastic and academic
              interest in Pali Tipitaka and literature, for a whole list of reasons. ;-)

              I can't read Hangul, which makes it hard to help you. But, you can try
              this site to start with: http://www.ripl.or.kr/

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, josesiem wrote:

              I just joined the group. I'm living in Seoul, Korea now teaching
              English. I want to start learning Pali. My interest in Pali stems from
              my interest and practice of Buddhism. I plan on ordering a couple of
              books and to start studying.

              I'd like to take a Pali course. Anyone know of any this summer? I've
              been scouring the internet, but I haven't found anything yet.
            • lucdelannoy
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 10, 2009
                Hello,
                My name is Luc; I am new here. I am a writer and philospher from Brussels, Belgium; currently live and teach in Mexico. My interests are human perception, the Abhidhamma and commentaries (in particular the 7th book, Patthana) Glad to be around and hope to learn from you all.
                Luc
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 11, 2009
                  Dear Luc,
                  welcome here. I do not know whether you have visited the homepage.Put
                  cursor on the left side of the green bar on top, and here is all the
                  info, grammars, exercises.
                  Yong Peng posts Buddhadatta exercises here and if there is anything
                  as to grammar, do ask.
                  Questions are useful both for the person who asks and the person who
                  answers.
                  Patthaana means a lot for me, to be applied in our daily life.
                  What do you teach?
                  Nina.
                  Op 11-okt-2009, om 3:38 heeft lucdelannoy het volgende geschreven:

                  > My name is Luc; I am new here. I am a writer and philospher from
                  > Brussels, Belgium; currently live and teach in Mexico. My interests
                  > are human perception, the Abhidhamma and commentaries (in
                  > particular the 7th book, Patthana) Glad to be around and hope to
                  > learn from you all.

                • Luc Delannoy
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 21, 2009
                    Nina

                    Thanks for writing. I teach philosophy and neuroaesthetics. I'm glad I found this group !
                    Be well

                    Luc

                    www.lucdelannoy.com

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 22, 2009
                      Dear Luc,
                      I do not know whether you may find helpful the intro to the Patthaana
                      I wrote. It is online in <http://www.abhidhamma.org/Patthana%201.htm
                      > and Zolag, <http://www.zolag.co.uk/ > . It will be printed end of
                      the year and if you are interested I like to send it as a free book.
                      Just give your postal address off line.
                      Nina.
                      Op 21-okt-2009, om 17:05 heeft Luc Delannoy het volgende geschreven: