Re: study of the Abhidhamma

  • rjkjp1
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
      > Has anyone had the experience of looking into the Abhidhamma texts?
      > I've read the Abhidhammasangaha by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but I'm not sure
      > what book I should be picking up next.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > June
      Dear June,
      I've looked at soem Abhidhamma, you could try the Dispeller of
      Delusion (vol1 and II) pali text society, as a good next book.
      Robertk
    • Willy
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
        Look into it again

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
          Hi Willy and June,
          Rob Kirkpatrick recommended the Dispeller or Delusion, Sammohavinodanii,
          PTS.
          This is the Commentary to the second book of the Abhidhamma, the Book of
          Analysis, Vibhanga.
          This is to be recommended, and the Intro by Iggleden is excellent. He
          explains that the Abhidhamma helps to know one's deep underlying
          motives:<Speech which he had once thought of as correct and pleasing he will
          find fundamentally to have been directed towards his own selfish gain. His
          whole thought he will find to be a very nest and stronghold of 'evil, bad
          states'.>
          Just one short quote.
          Nina.
          op 03-08-2005 12:35 schreef Willy op willy@...:
> [...]
        • junet9876
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
            A very clever reply :)

            however i thought i might do that again only later, as the mind wants
            something new....

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Willy" <willy@p...> wrote:
            > Look into it again

          • junet9876
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
              thank you :) the dispeller of delusion it is then.

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
              > Hi Willy and June,
              > Rob Kirkpatrick recommended the Dispeller or Delusion, Sammohavinodanii,
              > PTS.
              > This is the Commentary to the second book of the Abhidhamma, the Book of
              > Analysis, Vibhanga.
              > This is to be recommended, and the Intro by Iggleden is excellent. He
              > explains that the Abhidhamma helps to know one's deep underlying
              > motives:<Speech which he had once thought of as correct and pleasing
              he will
              > find fundamentally to have been directed towards his own selfish
              gain. His
              > whole thought he will find to be a very nest and stronghold of
              'evil, bad
              > states'.>
              > Just one short quote.
              > Nina.

            • lighthisertim
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
                > I've read the Abhidhammasangaha by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but I'm not sure
                > what book I should be picking up next.

                Hi,

                Venerable Sayadaw U Thittila, Aggamahapandita, wrote what follows in the Intro to his
                English trans of the Vibhanga published by the PTS.

                "Ideally, each volume of the Abhidhamma Pitaka shoud be studied in the proper order and
                in detail, under a skilled teacher, so that a comprehensive knowledge of the whole
                Buddhadhamma is gained".

                His bio info is here: <http://www.buddhism.ndirect.co.uk/biogrphy.htm>

                hth,

                tl
              • Gunnar Gällmo
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                  --- lighthisertim <lighthisertim@...> skrev:

                  > Venerable Sayadaw U Thittila, Aggamahapandita, wrote
                  > what follows in the Intro to his
                  > English trans of the Vibhanga published by the PTS.
                  >
                  > "Ideally, each volume of the Abhidhamma Pitaka shoud
                  > be studied in the proper order and
                  > in detail, under a skilled teacher, so that a
                  > comprehensive knowledge of the whole
                  > Buddhadhamma is gained".
                  >
                  > His bio info is here:
                  > <http://www.buddhism.ndirect.co.uk/biogrphy.htm>

                  When I click at that, I get the biography of the Ven.
                  Ledi Sayadaw, not of the Ven. U Thittila. Both are
                  higly respectable, but they are not identical.

                  Gunnar

                  gunnargallmo@...
                • lighthisertim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar G�llmo <gunnargallmo@y...> wrote:
                    > When I click at that, I get the biography of the Ven.
                    > Ledi Sayadaw, not of the Ven. U Thittila. Both are
                    > higly respectable, but they are not identical.

                    Hi,

                    Perhaps I should have noted one must scroll down a little bit to see the Ven. U Thittila.

                    His bio and his Essential Themes of Buddhist Lectures is at <http://web.ukonline.co.uk/
                    buddhism/thitila2.htm#biography>

                    hth,

                    tl
                  • Hugo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                      Hello Gunnar,

                      On 8/5/05, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
                      > > <http://www.buddhism.ndirect.co.uk/biogrphy.htm>
                      >
                      > When I click at that, I get the biography of the Ven.
                      > Ledi Sayadaw, not of the Ven. U Thittila. Both are
                      > higly respectable, but they are not identical.

                      Scroll down a little and you will see it.

                      --
                      Hugo