study of the Abhidhamma

  • junet9876
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      Has anyone had the experience of looking into the Abhidhamma texts?
      I've read the Abhidhammasangaha by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but I'm not sure
      what book I should be picking up next.

      Thanks,
      June
    • rjkjp1
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
        > Has anyone had the experience of looking into the Abhidhamma texts?
        > I've read the Abhidhammasangaha by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but I'm not sure
        > what book I should be picking up next.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > June
        Dear June,
        I've looked at soem Abhidhamma, you could try the Dispeller of
        Delusion (vol1 and II) pali text society, as a good next book.
        Robertk
      • Willy
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
          Look into it again

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
            Hi Willy and June,
            Rob Kirkpatrick recommended the Dispeller or Delusion, Sammohavinodanii,
            PTS.
            This is the Commentary to the second book of the Abhidhamma, the Book of
            Analysis, Vibhanga.
            This is to be recommended, and the Intro by Iggleden is excellent. He
            explains that the Abhidhamma helps to know one's deep underlying
            motives:<Speech which he had once thought of as correct and pleasing he will
            find fundamentally to have been directed towards his own selfish gain. His
            whole thought he will find to be a very nest and stronghold of 'evil, bad
            states'.>
            Just one short quote.
            Nina.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
              A very clever reply :)

              however i thought i might do that again only later, as the mind wants
              something new....

              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Willy" <willy@p...> wrote:
              > Look into it again

            • junet9876
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
                thank you :) the dispeller of delusion it is then.

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@x> wrote:
                > Hi Willy and June,
                > Rob Kirkpatrick recommended the Dispeller or Delusion, Sammohavinodanii,
                > PTS.
                > This is the Commentary to the second book of the Abhidhamma, the Book of
                > Analysis, Vibhanga.
                > This is to be recommended, and the Intro by Iggleden is excellent. He
                > explains that the Abhidhamma helps to know one's deep underlying
                > motives:<Speech which he had once thought of as correct and pleasing
                he will
                > find fundamentally to have been directed towards his own selfish
                gain. His
                > whole thought he will find to be a very nest and stronghold of
                'evil, bad
                > states'.>
                > Just one short quote.
                > Nina.

              • lighthisertim
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
                  > I've read the Abhidhammasangaha by Bhikkhu Bodhi, but I'm not sure
                  > what book I should be picking up next.

                  Hi,

                  Venerable Sayadaw U Thittila, Aggamahapandita, wrote what follows in the Intro to his
                  English trans of the Vibhanga published by the PTS.

                  "Ideally, each volume of the Abhidhamma Pitaka shoud be studied in the proper order and
                  in detail, under a skilled teacher, so that a comprehensive knowledge of the whole
                  Buddhadhamma is gained".

                  His bio info is here: <http://www.buddhism.ndirect.co.uk/biogrphy.htm>

                  hth,

                  tl
                • Gunnar Gällmo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                    --- lighthisertim <lighthisertim@...> skrev:

                    > Venerable Sayadaw U Thittila, Aggamahapandita, wrote
                    > what follows in the Intro to his
                    > English trans of the Vibhanga published by the PTS.
                    >
                    > "Ideally, each volume of the Abhidhamma Pitaka shoud
                    > be studied in the proper order and
                    > in detail, under a skilled teacher, so that a
                    > comprehensive knowledge of the whole
                    > Buddhadhamma is gained".
                    >
                    > His bio info is here:
                    > <http://www.buddhism.ndirect.co.uk/biogrphy.htm>

                    When I click at that, I get the biography of the Ven.
                    Ledi Sayadaw, not of the Ven. U Thittila. Both are
                    higly respectable, but they are not identical.

                    Gunnar

                    gunnargallmo@...
                  • lighthisertim
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Gunnar G�llmo <gunnargallmo@y...> wrote:
                      > When I click at that, I get the biography of the Ven.
                      > Ledi Sayadaw, not of the Ven. U Thittila. Both are
                      > higly respectable, but they are not identical.

                      Hi,

                      Perhaps I should have noted one must scroll down a little bit to see the Ven. U Thittila.

                      His bio and his Essential Themes of Buddhist Lectures is at <http://web.ukonline.co.uk/
                      buddhism/thitila2.htm#biography>

                      hth,

                      tl
                    • Hugo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
                        Hello Gunnar,

                        On 8/5/05, Gunnar Gällmo <gunnargallmo@...> wrote:
                        > > <http://www.buddhism.ndirect.co.uk/biogrphy.htm>
                        >
                        > When I click at that, I get the biography of the Ven.
                        > Ledi Sayadaw, not of the Ven. U Thittila. Both are
                        > higly respectable, but they are not identical.

                        Scroll down a little and you will see it.

                        --
                        Hugo