Re: Stanz of SN 1.3.1

  • yifertw
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
      Thanks!
      It is very clear and helpful from your explanation.

      Best regards,
      Yifer
    • Ole Holten Pind
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
        The "it" refers to paapam "evil action" of the next verse.
        Phusati occurs in a similar context with paapam as subject at It IV 10 verse
        four: tam eva paapa.m phusse/ati.

        Best,
        Ole Pind

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Dear Nina van Gorkom
          Here are our trying of analysing the verse.

          The first verse of SN 1.3.1 is:
          > Naaphusanta.m phusati ca, phusanta~nca tato phuse;
          > tasmaa phusanta.m phusati, appadu.t.thapadosinan.
          > Ven. Bodhi's translation is:
          > [It does not touch one who does not touch,
          It (the object) does not touch (give effect/wavering)
          one who does not touch (who takes object as it is
          without craving/clinging)
          > But then will touch the one who touches.
          But then will touch (gives effect/wavering) the one
          who touches (who is not taking an object as it is,
          takes with craving/clinging)
          > Therefore it touches the one who touches,
          Therefore it (the object) touches (gives rise to
          wavering/suffering in) the one who touches (who does
          take an object with craving/clinging)
          > The one who wrongs an innocent man.
          The one (an object) wrongs (ruins) an innocent man
          (unprotected from desires man).

          Could this be possible meaning of this text? We tried
          to analyse it according to the position of Phassa -
          cakkhupasadassa phasso, etc., (as in the link of Law
          of Dependent Originations) contact based on the
          eye-basement, and accordingly eye-object will take
          place of "It". And so on, for all objects.
          In the last sentence, "the one" might be the object
          again, not a person, for it says that it
          wrongs/harms/ruins/distructs "an innocent man", in
          here We used unprotected man + from desires, for only
          a man who is not guarding his sense-faculties will
          fail to protect oneself from desires/defilements to
          arrise.

          The questions you raised will remain partly not
          answered, but what we think, is : "it"s stand for
          something that causes an action of touching. Therefore
          we assume it to be an object of contemplation. "The
          one" in the last sentence is assumed as in explanation
          above.
          If We are wrong, waiting for corrections.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Hi Ole,
            Thanks. Please do so,
            Nina
            op 01-08-2005 22:10 schreef Ole Holten Pind op oleholtenpind@...:

            > These are grammatically and semantically difficult verses. If I manage to
            > find a solution to the problem they constitute, I shall write you right
            > away.

          • yifertw
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              Dear Nina:
              As I am reading SN Sagathavagga against Chinese SA with Ven.
              Bodhi's translation, I found "appadu.t.thapadosinan" of Stanza
              SN 1.3.1 had been translated into Chinese as "Not offending against
              others will not receive hatred from the others". This translation
              had been done at the year of A.C. 443. It sounds the original
              translator (Ven. Gunabhadra) treated "appadu.t.tha" as "not offending
              against" and "dosa" as "hatred".
              Could you help me to offer the grammatical analysis
              of "appadu.t.thapadosinan"?
              Yifer

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                Dear Sitala, Yifer, Ole.
                thank you, Sitala.
                Let us look at what Ole said.
                See below.
                op 02-08-2005 17:55 schreef Sitala (Zorigto) op sitalatwo@...:
                > The first verse of SN 1.3.1 is:
                >> Naaphusanta.m phusati ca, phusanta~nca tato phuse;
                >> tasmaa phusanta.m phusati, appadu.t.thapadosinan.

                >> Ven. Bodhi's translation is:
                >> [It does not touch one who does not touch,
                > It (the object) does not touch (give effect/wavering)
                > one who does not touch (who takes object as it is
                > without craving/clinging)
                >> But then will touch the one who touches.
                > But then will touch (gives effect/wavering) the one
                > who touches (who is not taking an object as it is,
                > takes with craving/clinging)
                >> Therefore it touches the one who touches,
                > Therefore it (the object) touches (gives rise to
                > wavering/suffering in) the one who touches (who does
                > take an object with craving/clinging)
                >> The one who wrongs an innocent man.
                > The one (an object) wrongs (ruins) an innocent man
                > (unprotected from desires man).
                >
                > Could this be possible meaning of this text? We tried
                > to analyse it according to the position of Phassa -
                > cakkhupasadassa phasso, etc., (as in the link of Law
                > of Dependent Originations) contact based on the
                > eye-basement, and accordingly eye-object will take
                > place of "It". And so on, for all objects.
                > In the last sentence, "the one" might be the object
                > again, not a person, for it says that it
                > wrongs/harms/ruins/distructs "an innocent man", in
                > here We used unprotected man + from desires, for only
                > a man who is not guarding his sense-faculties will
                > fail to protect oneself from desires/defilements to
                > arrise.
                >
                > The questions you raised will remain partly not
                > answered, but what we think, is : "it"s stand for
                > something that causes an action of touching. Therefore
                > we assume it to be an object of contemplation. "The
                > one" in the last sentence is assumed as in explanation
                > above.
                > If We are wrong, waiting for corrections.
                >------
                Ole: The "it" refers to paapam "evil action" of the next verse.
                Phusati occurs in a similar context with paapam as subject at It IV 10 verse
                four: tam eva paapa.m phusse/ati.
                ------
                Nina: I followed the Thai and Commentary: Vipaaka will not touch the person
                who does not touch kamma (performs kamma), etc.
                It seems to me that this sutta deals with kamma and vipaaka.
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Dear Yifer,
                  op 03-08-2005 02:00 schreef yifertw op yifertw@...:

                  > Dear Nina:
                  > As I am reading SN Sagathavagga against Chinese SA with Ven.
                  > Bodhi's translation, I found "appadu.t.thapadosinan" of Stanza
                  > SN 1.3.1 had been translated into Chinese as "Not offending against
                  > others will not receive hatred from the others". This translation
                  > had been done at the year of A.C. 443. It sounds the original
                  > translator (Ven. Gunabhadra) treated "appadu.t.tha" as "not offending
                  > against" and "dosa" as "hatred".
                  > Could you help me to offer the grammatical analysis
                  > of "appadu.t.thapadosinan"?
                  ---
                  N: padussati: offend against. pp: padu.t.tha
                  padosin: abusing.
                  appadu.t.thapadosinan: the person who harms an innocent person. Here: an
                  arahat, according to the Co. The Co states that this is the law of kamma and
                  vipaaka. He may be reborn in one of the four unhappy planes.
                  See the last stanza of this sutta. This is very clear. The evil deed returns
                  to the wicked one , like fine dust thrown against the wind.