Re: [Pali] Re: Pali - Every few days - [C270] question for John K.

  • Alan McClure
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 7:20 AM
      Hello Venerable Nyanatusita,

      I know that I am not John, but would it be possible to send me a copy of
      this work as well? I am quite interested in it, though I guess that I am
      most interested in the many footnotes more than anything else. Of course I
      will not post them, but just use them for reference in my translation. I am
      sorry if this would have been better sent via private e-mail, but I hesitate
      to bother people off list. Additionally, thank you for the note about the
      translation regarding copyright law, it makes sense to me.

      Metta,

      Alan

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 7:26 AM
        --- nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> skrev:

        > Dear John,
        >
        > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of
        > Bodhinyana
        > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made
        > already a detailed
        > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with
        > many footnotes, etc,
        > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS
        > website. PTS was not
        > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
        > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as
        > it is a translation.

        The translator has author's right to the translation,
        if he is still alive or has been dead for (in several
        countries) less than 70 years, but I suppose you have
        got his agreement. As far as the Pali texts are
        citations from the Tipitaka (and I think Warder cites
        mostly from the Diighanikaaya), the authors have most
        probably been dead for more than 70 years; the only
        problem might be if Warder has written some of the
        simpler sentences himself, but then it is debatable if
        these are original enough to be regarded as a proper
        work.

        Gunnar

        gunnargallmo@...
      • nyanatusita
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3 5:28 AM
          Dear Alan,

          It is not exactly clear to me what the relation between this group and
          www.tipitaka.net is but we could put a PDF file with Brahmali's
          translation there if that is possible. He is very keen to receive
          feedback on it.
          As more people might want it it would be easier if they could download
          it from tipitaka.net rather than me having to send it to them. If you
          can arrange this then I would be happy.
          It is a translation of the Pali given in Warder's exercises. There is
          no copyright on Pali.
          Yours in the Dhamma,
          Bh. Nyanatusita

        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 3 7:44 AM
            Dear Alan,

            That's wonderful news that you will be doing another
            translation of the Warder exercises with full
            grammatical analysis. I hope you will be posting your
            solutions to this list as you go. Please be sure to
            compare with my solutions while you are doing it too,
            and send any feedback to me via this group - I'm sure
            you'll spot many errors I may have made!

            Concerning copyright issues, as a few others have
            already noted, I don't think it's a problem since
            these are your own translations, and the text of what
            you are translating comes straight from the Tipitaka
            which is in the public domain. My solutions have been
            posted on
            http://accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/kelly/answers/index.html
            and on http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/ and nobody
            has raised copyright as an issue.

            With metta,
            John

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3 7:48 AM
              Dear Bhante,

              I look forward to seeing these solutions of Ven.
              Brahmali - especially the footnotes.

              With metta,
              John
              Dear John,

              I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of
              Bodhinyana
              Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already
              detailed
              translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many
              footnotes, etc,
              which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS
              website.
              PTS was not
              interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
              I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it
              is a
              translation.
              Mettaya,
              Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
            • libris
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3 7:57 AM
                Ajahn Nyanatusita,

                If Ajahn Brahmali's notes is digital, they could be posted on Ajahn Sujato's Sutta-Central website which is about halfway done.

                I would love to see these notes, too.

                Namakkara.m

                Piya Tan]
                Brahm Education Centre
                Singapore

                --- nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> wrote:

                > ---
                > Dear John,
                >
                > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
                > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
                > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes,
                > etc,
                > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was
                > not
                > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
                > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a
                > translation.
                > Mettaya,
                > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                >
                > In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
                > > John,
                > >
                > > I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book
                > on
                > > another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations
                > and
                > > including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes
                > me
                > > wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
                >
                > > Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask
                > you
                > > what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
                > >
                > > Can I assume that including such translations on my website would
                > not
                > > be problematic?
                > >
                > > Thanks for your help,
                > >
                > > Alan

              • Alan McClure
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3 7:18 PM
                  Dear Venerable Nyanatusita,

                  I don't know if you have managed to contact Ong Yong Peng as of yet, but I
                  have talked to her/him just today about how to post this great resource to
                  tipitaka.net, and s/he said that s/he has the intention of responding to you
                  about the issue via this list, though s/he is quite busy. So, it looks like
                  you'll soon have an answer. If you are not too busy to post to this group
                  to tell us when/if you are able to place the PDF at Tipitaka.net, I would
                  really like to share it with many other interested parties.