AN1.6.1-10 Viiriyaarambhaadi Vagga [1/2]

    Message 1 of 366 , Aug 2, 2005
      Dear Nina and friends,

      here is the first part of the Viiriyaarambhaadi Vagga.

      A`nguttara Nikaya: Ekaka Nipaata
      Viiriyaarambhaadi Vagga

      1. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, viiriyaarambho.
      Aaraddhaviiriyassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa
      uppajjanti uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Pa.thama.m.

      2. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, mahicchataa.
      Mahicchassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Dutiya.m.

      3. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, appicchataa.
      Appicchassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Tatiya.m.

      4. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, asantu.t.thitaa.
      Asantu.t.thassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa
      uppajjanti uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Catuttha.m.

      5. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, santu.t.thitaa.
      Santu.t.thassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Pa~ncama.m.

      Viiriyaarambhaadi Vagga
      application of exertion-starting / chapter
      The Chapter on Making Conscientious Effort

      viiriyaarambhaadi = viiriyaarambha aadi.
      - aadi (adv) starting, beginning.

      1. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, viiriyaarambho.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / not good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / application of exertion
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen wholesome thoughts arise, or arisen unwholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: conscientious effort.

      naaha.m = na aha.m.
      - aha.m (pron, nom/sg) I.bhikkhu (m) monk.
      a~n~na (pron) another.
      ekadhamma.m = eka.m dhamma.m (n) one phenomenon.
      - eka (num adj) one.
      - dhamma (n) thing, phenomenon.
      pi (ind, emph) even, just so.
      samanupassati (v) perceives.
      yena (rel pron, ins) by which.
      anuppanna = na uppanna (adj) not born.
      - uppanna (pp of uppajjati) born.
      vaa (ind conj) or.
      kusala (adj) good, right, moral, meritorious.
      uppajjati (v) is born, arises.
      akusalaa = na kusala.
      parihaayati (v) decays, dwindles.
      yathayida.m = yathaa ida.m (adv) as just this.
      viiriyaarambha = viiriya eva'arambha (m) application of exertion,
      will, energy, resolution.
      - viiriya = viriya (n) vigour, energy, effort, exertion.
      - arambha (m) attempt.

      Aaraddhaviiriyassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa
      uppajjanti uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to resolute / monks / non-arisen / as well as / good / phenomena /
      arise / arisen / and / not good / phenomena / subside
      To the endeavoring (person), monks, non-arisen wholesome thoughts
      arise as well as arisen unwholesome thoughts subside."

      aaraddhaviiriya = aaraddha viiriya (adj.) strenuous, energetic,
      resolute.
      - aaraddha (pp of aarabhati/aarabbhati) begun, started, bent on,
      undertaking, holding on to, resolved, firm.
      ceva = ca eva (ind) as well as.
      - ca (ind, conj) and.
      - eva (ind) just, quite, even, only.

      Pa.thama.m.
      first
      (This is) the first.

      pa.thama (num adj) first.

      2. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, mahicchataa.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / not good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / great wishing
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen unwholesome thoughts arise, or arisen wholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: endless desires.

      mahicchataa = mahi icchataa (f) arrogance, ostentatiousness.
      - mahi [a form of mahant used in compounds].
      - icchataa (f) wishfulness, wishing.

      Mahicchassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to greedy / monks / non-arisen / as well as / not good / phenomena /
      arise / arisen / and / good / phenomena / subside
      To the desirous (person), monks, non-arisen unwholesome thoughts
      arise as well as arisen wholesome thoughts subside."

      mahiccha = mahi iccha (adj) full of desire, lustful, greedy.
      - iccha (adj) wishing, longing, having desires.

      Dutiya.m.
      second
      (This is) the second.

      dutiya (num adj) second.

      3. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, appicchataa.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / not good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / contentment
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen wholesome thoughts arise, or arisen unwholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: contentment.

      appicchataa (f) contentment, being satisfied with little,
      unostentatiousness.

      Appicchassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to contented / monks / non-arisen / as well as / good / phenomena /
      arise / arisen / and / not good / phenomena / subside
      To the contented (person), monks, non-arisen wholesome thoughts arise
      as well as arisen unwholesome thoughts subside."

      appiccha (adj) desiring little or nothing, easily satisfied,
      unassuming, contented, unpretentious.

      Tatiya.m.
      third
      (This is) the third.

      tatiya (num adj) third.

      4. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, asantu.t.thitaa.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / not good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / dissatisfaction
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen unwholesome thoughts arise, or arisen wholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: dissatisfaction.

      asantu.t.thitaa (f) dissatisfaction, discontentment.

      Asantu.t.thassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa
      uppajjanti uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to unsatisfied / monks / non-arisen / as well as / not good /
      phenomena / arise / arisen / and / good / phenomena / subside
      To the unsatisfied (person), monks, non-arisen unwholesome thoughts
      arise as well as arisen wholesome thoughts subside."

      asantu.t.tha (pp of asantussati) not contented with, greedy,
      insatiate, unhappy.

      Catuttha.m.
      fourth
      (This is) the fourth.

      catuttha (num adj) fourth.

      5. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, santu.t.thitaa.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / not good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / satisfaction
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen wholesome thoughts arise, or arisen unwholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: satisfaction.

      santu.t.thitaa (f) state of contentment.

      Santu.t.thassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to happy / monks / non-arisen / as well as / good / phenomena /
      arise / arisen / and / not good / phenomena / subside
      To the happy (person), monks, non-arisen wholesome thoughts arise as
      well as arisen unwholesome thoughts subside."

      santu.t.tha (pp of santussati) pleased, happy.

      Pa~ncama.m.
      fifth
      (This is) the fifth.

      pa~ncama (num adj) fifth.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****