AN1.6.1-10 Accharaasa`nghaata Vagga

    Message 1 of 366 , Aug 1, 2005
      Dear Nina and friends,

      thanks for all your previous replies and corrections. I shall reply
      to them soon. Once again, please help with the difficult parts of the
      passage.

      A`nguttara Nikaya: Ekaka Nipaata
      Accharaasa`nghaata Vagga

      1. "Pabhassaramida.m, bhikkhave, citta.m. Ta~nca kho aagantukehi
      upakkilesehi upakkili.t.tha.m. Ta.m assutavaa puthujjano
      yathaabhuuta.m nappajaanaati. Tasmaa'assutavato puthujjanassa
      cittabhaavanaa natthii'ti vadaamii"ti. Pa.thama.m.

      2. "Pabhassaramida.m, bhikkhave, citta.m. Ta~nca kho aagantukehi
      upakkilesehi vippamutta.m. Ta.m sutavaa ariyasaavako yathaabhuuta.m
      pajaanaati. Tasmaa'sutavato ariyasavaakassa cittabhaavanaa atthii'ti
      vadaamii"ti. Dutiya.m.

      3. "Accharaasa`nghaatamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mettaacitta.m
      aasevati; aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave - 'bhikkhu arittajjhaano viharati
      satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro, amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m
      bhu~njati'. Ko pana vaado ye na.m bahuliikarontii"ti! Tatiya.m.

      4. "Accharaasa`nghaatamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mettaacitta.m
      bhaaveti; aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave - 'bhikkhu arittajjhaano viharati
      satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro, amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m
      bhu~njati'. Ko pana vaado ye na.m bahuliikarontii"ti! Catuttha.m.

      5. "Accharaasa`nghaatamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mettaacitta.m
      manasi karoti; aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave - 'bhikkhu arittajjhaano
      viharati satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro, amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m
      bhu~njati'. Ko pana vaado ye na.m bahuliikarontii"ti! Pa~ncama.m.

      6. "Ye keci, bhikkhave, dhammaa akusalaa akusalabhaagiyaa
      akusalapakkhikaa, sabbe te manopubba`ngamaa. Mano tesa.m dhammaana.m
      pa.thama.m uppajjati, anvadeva akusalaa dhammaa"ti. Cha.t.tha.m.

      7. "Ye keci, bhikkhave, dhammaa kusalaa kusalabhaagiyaa
      kusalapakkhikaa, sabbe te manopubba`ngamaa. Mano tesa.m dhammaana.m
      pa.thama.m uppajjati, anvadeva kusalaa dhammaa"ti. Sattama.m.

      8. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, pamaado. Pamattassa,
      bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa ca
      kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. A.t.thama.m.

      9. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, appamaado. Appamattassa,
      bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa ca
      akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Navama.m.

      10. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, kosajja.m. Kusiitassa,
      bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa ca
      kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti. Dasama.m.

      Accharaasa`nghaatavaggo cha.t.tho.

      Accharaasa`nghaata Vagga
      short duration / chapter
      The Chapter on Quick Thoughts

      1. "Pabhassaramida.m, bhikkhave, citta.m.
      resplendent-this / monks / mind
      "The mind, monks, it is luminous.

      pabhassaramida.m = pabhassara.m ida.m.
      - pabhassara (adj) shining, very bright, resplendent.
      - ida.m (dem pron, n/nom) this.
      bhikkhu (m) monk.
      citta (n) mind, heart.

      Ta~nca kho aagantukehi upakkilesehi upakkili.t.tha.m.
      it-and / indeed / by coming / by defilements / stained
      And by intruding defilements, it is indeed defiled.

      ta~nca = ta.m ca.
      - ta.m (n) it.
      - ca (ind, conj) and.
      aagantuka (adj) coming, arriving.
      upakkilesa (m) impurity, defilement
      upakkili.t.tha (adj) soiled, impure, stained.

      Ta.m assutavaa puthujjano yathaabhuuta.m nappajaanaati.
      it / unlearned / ordinary person / as one has been brought and
      placed / does not know clearly
      Due to his background, the unlearned ordinary person does not know it
      clearly.

      assutavant (adj) unlearned.
      puthujjana = puthu jana (m) an ordinary, average person.
      - puthu (adj) individual.
      - jana (m) person, man.
      yathaabhuuta.m = yathaa aabhata (adv) as one has been brought and
      placed.
      - yathaa (adv) as, according to.
      - aabhata (pp of aabharati) brought (there or here), carried,
      conveyed, taken.
      nappajaanaati = na pajaanaati.
      - na (ind neg) not.
      - pajaanaati (v) knows clearly.

      Tasmaa'assutavato puthujjanassa cittabhaavanaa natthii'ti vadaamii"ti.
      from it / for unlearned / for ordinary person / cultivation of mind /
      there is not / say
      I say, 'Because of this, there is no cultivation of the mind for the
      unlearned ordinary person.' "

      tasmaa (rel pron, n/abl) from it.
      cittabhaavanaa = cittassa bhaavanaa (f) cultivation of the mind.
      - bhaavanaa (f) development, cultivation.
      natthi = na atthi (v) there is not.
      - atthi (v) verb to be.
      vadati (v) says, speaks.

      Pa.thama.m.
      first
      (This is) the first.

      pa.thama (num adj) first.

      2. "Pabhassaramida.m, bhikkhave, citta.m.
      resplendent-this / monks / mind
      "The mind, monks, it is luminous.

      Ta~nca kho aagantukehi upakkilesehi vippamutta.m.
      it-and / indeed / from coming / from defilements / stained
      And from intruding defilements, it is indeed released."

      vippamutta (adj) released, set free, saved.

      Ta.m sutavaa ariyasaavako yathaabhuuta.m pajaanaati.
      it / learned / noble disciple / as one has been brought and placed /
      knows clearly
      Due to his background, the learned noble disciple knows it clearly.

      ariyasaavaka = ariya saavaka (m) noble disciple.
      - ariya (adj) noble.
      - saavaka (m) disciple.

      Tasmaa'sutavato ariyasavaakassa cittabhaavanaa atthii'ti vadaamii"ti.
      from it / for learned / for noble disciple / cultivation of mind /
      there is / say
      I say, 'Because of this, there is the cultivation of the mind for the
      learned noble disciple.' "

      Dutiya.m.
      second
      (This is) the second.

      dutiya (num adj) second.

      3. "Accharaasa`nghaatamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mettaacitta.m
      aasevati;
      for short duration of time-even-just / if / monks / monk / heart of
      loving kindness / practises
      "Monks, if for even just a brief moment, a monk practises loving
      kindness,

      accharaasa`nghaatamattampi = accharaasa`nghaata.m matta.m pi.
      - accharaasa`nghaata = accharaasa`nghaata (m) snapping of fingers,
      short duration of time, a moment.
      - matta (adv) even at, as soon as, because of.
      - pi (enc, ind) and, even, and then, just so.
      ce (enc, ind) if.
      mettaacitta.m = metta.m eva'citta.m (n) heart of loving kindness.
      mettaa (f) loving kindness.
      aasevati (v) practises, pursues, indulges, enjoys.

      aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave -
      this / to be said / monks
      this is to be said, monks:

      aya.m (dem pron, m/nom) this.vuccati (passive of vatti) to be spoken,
      said, called.

      'bhikkhu arittajjhaano viharati satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro,
      amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m bhu~njati'.
      monk / not free of Jhana / lives / complying with teaching of one's
      teacher / ??? / not in vain / food from the people / eats
      'The monk lives with Jhana, in accordance with the teachings, ... .
      (He) eats worthy food from the people.'

      arittajjhaano = aritta jhaana (adj) not free of Jhana.
      - aritta =na ritta.
      - ritta (pp of ri~ncati) devoid, empty, free, rid of.viharati (v)
      lives.
      satthusaasanakaro = satthussa saasanakaro (adj.) complying with
      teaching of one's teacher.
      - satthu (m) teacher.
      - saasanakara (adj) complying with one's order or
      teaching.ovaadapatikara = ovaadapatikara ???
      - ovaada (m) advice, instruction, admonition, exhortation.
      amogha = na mogha (adj) not in vain, not futile.
      - mogha (adj) empty, vain, useless, stupid, foolish.ra.t.thapi.n.da.m
      = ra.t.thassa pi.n.da (m) food from the people.
      - ra.t.tha (n) country.
      - pi.n.da (m) alms given as food.
      bhu~njati (v) eats, partakes.

      Ko pana vaado ye na.m bahuliikarontii"ti!
      what / but / saying / who / to it / devote themselves to
      But, what is to be said (about those) who devotes themselves to it?"

      ko (interr pron, m/nom) who, what.
      pana (ind) but, however, further.
      vaada (m) saying, theory.
      ye (rel pron, m/nom) who, which.
      na.m (rel pron, n/acc) to it.
      bahuliikaroti (v) takes up seriously, practises, devotes oneself to.

      Tatiya.m.
      third
      (This is) the third.

      tatiya (num adj) third.

      4. "Accharaasa`nghaatamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mettaacitta.m
      bhaaveti;
      for short duration of time-even-just / if / monks / monk / heart of
      loving kindness / cultivates
      "Monks, if for even just a brief moment, a monk cultivates loving
      kindness,

      bhaaveti (v) cultivates, develops.

      aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave -
      this / to be said / monks
      this is to be said, monks:

      'bhikkhu arittajjhaano viharati satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro,
      amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m bhu~njati'.
      monk / not free of Jhana / lives / complying with teaching of one's
      teacher / ??? / not in vain / food from the people / eats
      'The monk lives with Jhana, in accordance with the teachings, ... .
      (He) eats worthy food from the people.'

      Ko pana vaado ye na.m bahuliikarontii"ti!
      what / but / saying / who / to it / devote themselves to
      But, what is to be said (about those) who devotes themselves to it?"

      Catuttha.m.
      fourth
      (This is) the fourth.

      catuttha (num adj) fourth.

      5. "Accharaasa`nghaatamattampi ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mettaacitta.m
      manasi karoti;
      for short duration of time-even-just / if / monks / monk / heart of
      loving kindness / in mind / bears
      "Monks, if for even just a brief moment, a monk bears in mind loving
      kindness,

      manasi (loc of manas, n) in mind.
      karoti (v) verb to do.

      aya.m vuccati, bhikkhave -
      this / to be said / monks
      this is to be said, monks:

      'bhikkhu arittajjhaano viharati satthusaasanakaro ovaadapatikaro,
      amogha.m ra.t.thapi.n.da.m bhu~njati'.
      monk / not free of Jhana / lives / complying with teaching of one's
      teacher / ??? / not in vain / food from the people / eats
      'The monk lives with Jhana, in accordance with the teachings, ... .
      (He) eats worthy food from the people.'

      Ko pana vaado ye na.m bahuliikarontii"ti!
      what / but / saying / who / to it / devote themselves to
      But, what is to be said (about those) who devotes themselves to it?"

      Pa~ncama.m.
      fifth
      (This is) the fifth.

      pa~ncama (num adj) fifth.

      6. "Ye keci, bhikkhave, dhammaa akusalaa akusalabhaagiyaa
      akusalapakkhikaa, sabbe te manopubba`ngamaa.
      which / any / monks / phenomena / not good / not conducive to good /
      not leading to good / all / these / precede in mind
      "Monks, (are there) any things, which (are) not good, not conducive
      to good, not leading to good, that all precede in the mind?

      keci (indefinite pron) any.
      dhamma (n) thing, phenomenon.
      akusalaa = na kusala.
      - kusala (adj) good, right, moral, meritorious.
      akusalabhaagiyaa = na kusala bhaagiya.
      - bhaagiya (adj) connected with, conducive to, procuring.
      akusalapakkhikaa = na kusala pakkhika.
      - pakkhika (adj) contributing to, leading to, associated with, siding
      with.
      sabba (adj) all.
      te (rel pron) these.
      manopubba`ngama = manasi pubba.m gama.
      - pubba.m gama (adj) going before, preceding.

      Mano tesa.m dhammaana.m pa.thama.m uppajjati, anvadeva akusalaa
      dhammaa"ti.
      in mind / to these / to phenomena / first / arises / later / not
      good / phenomena

      uppajjati (v) is born, arises.
      anvadeva (adv) behind, after, later.

      Cha.t.tha.m.
      sixth
      (This is) the sixth.

      cha.t.tha (num adj) sixth.

      7. "Ye keci, bhikkhave, dhammaa kusalaa kusalabhaagiyaa
      kusalapakkhikaa, sabbe te manopubba`ngamaa.
      which / any / monks / phenomena / good / conducive to good / leading
      to good / all / these / precede in mind
      "Monks, (are there) any things, which (are) good, conducive to good,
      leading to good, that all precede in the mind?

      Mano tesa.m dhammaana.m pa.thama.m uppajjati, anvadeva kusalaa
      dhammaa"ti.
      in mind / to these / to phenomena / first / arises / later / good /
      phenomena

      Sattama.m.
      seventh
      (This is) the seventh.

      sattama (num adj) seventh.

      8. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, pamaado.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / not good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / negligence
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen unwholesome thoughts arise, or arisen wholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: negligence.

      naaha.m = na aha.m.
      - aha.m (pron, nom/sg) I.
      a~n~na (pron) another.
      ekadhamma.m = eka.m dhamma.m (n) one phenomenon.
      - eka (num adj) one.
      pi (ind, emph) even, just so.
      samanupassati (v) perceives.
      yena (rel pron, ins) by which.
      anuppanna = na uppanna (adj) not born.
      - uppanna (pp of uppajjati) born.
      vaa (ind conj) or.
      parihaayati (v) decays, dwindles.
      yathayida.m = yathaa ida.m (adv) as just this.
      pamaada (m) carelessness, negligence, indolence, remissness.

      Pamattassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to negligent / monks / non-arisen / as well as / not good /
      phenomena / arise / arisen / and / good / phenomena / subside
      To the negligent (person), monks, non-arisen unwholesome thoughts
      arise as well as arisen wholesome thoughts subside."

      pamatta (pp. of pamajjati) slothful, indolent, indifferent, careless,
      negligent.ceva = ca eva (ind) as well as.
      - eva (ind) just, quite, even, only.

      A.t.thama.m.
      eighth
      (This is) the eighth.

      sattama (num adj) eighth.

      9. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa akusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, appamaado.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / not good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / diligence
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen wholesome thoughts arise, or arisen unwholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: diligence.

      appamaada (m) thoughtfulness, carefulness, conscientiousness,
      watchfulness, vigilance, earnestness, zeal, diligence.

      Appamattassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva kusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca akusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to diligent / monks / non-arisen / as well as / good / phenomena /
      arise / arisen / and / not good / phenomena / subside
      To the diligent (person), monks, non-arisen wholesome thoughts arise
      as well as arisen unwholesome thoughts subside."

      appamatta (adj) diligent, careful, heedful, vigilant, alert, zealous.

      Navama.m.
      ninth
      (This is) the ninth.

      navama (num adj) ninth.

      10. "Naaha.m, bhikkhave, a~n~na.m ekadhammampi samanupassaami yena
      anuppannaa vaa akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti uppannaa vaa kusalaa
      dhammaa parihaayanti yathayida.m, bhikkhave, kosajja.m.
      not-I / monks / another / one phenomenon-even / perceive / by which /
      non-arisen or / not good / phenomena / arise / arisen or / good /
      phenomena / subside / as just this / monks / laziness
      "Monks, I cannot identify even one other phenomenon by which non-
      arisen unwholesome thoughts arise, or arisen wholesome thoughts
      subside as just this, monks: laziness.

      kosajja (n) idleness, sloth, indolence.

      Kusiitassa, bhikkhave, anuppannaa ceva akusalaa dhammaa uppajjanti
      uppannaa ca kusalaa dhammaa parihaayantii"ti.
      to lazy / monks / non-arisen / as well as / not good / phenomena /
      arise / arisen / and / good / phenomena / subside
      To the lazy (person), monks, non-arisen unwholesome thoughts arise as
      well as arisen wholesome thoughts subside."

      kusiita (adj) indolent, inert, inactive.

      Dasama.m.
      tenth
      (This is) the tenth.

      dasama (num adj) tenth.

      Accharaasa`nghaatavaggo cha.t.tho.
      short duration-chapter / sixth
      The Chapter on Quick Thoughts, the Sixth.

      Please correct me if there is any mistake.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 366 of 366 , Aug 17, 2006
        Dear Yong Peng,

        I found this in my concepts file not sent. So, I send it now, though
        belated (29 July). I cannot remember whether I sent it, but I do not
        see it in the messages.

        Nina.
        op 07-06-2006 08:45 schreef Ong Yong Peng op pali.smith@...:

        please advise on the word: aruupasa~n~nii

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....

        21-25. Saddhindriya.m bhaaveti... viiriyindriya.m bhaaveti...
        satindriya.m bhaaveti... samaadhindriya.m bhaaveti...
        pa~n~nindriya.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the faculty of faith (faculty of
        energy, faculty of mindfulness, faculty of concentration, faculty of
        wisdom), [even for the duration of a finger-snap, monks, such is
        said...]
        ------
        N: such a one is said...
        --------

        31-37. Satisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... dhammavicayasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... viiriyasambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... piitisambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti... passaddhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti...
        samaadhisambojjha`nga.m bhaaveti... upekkhaasambojjha`nga.m
        bhaaveti....

        ["O monks, if a monk] developed the mindfulness (doctrinal
        investigation,
        ------
        N: Investigation of Dhamma.
        -------

        38-45. Sammaadi.t.thi.m bhaaveti... sammaasa`nkappa.m bhaaveti...
        sammaavaaca.m bhaaveti... sammaakammanta.m bhaaveti... sammaa-
        aajiiva.m bhaaveti... sammaavaayaama.m bhaaveti... sammaasati.m
        bhaaveti... sammaasamaadhi.m bhaaveti....
        ["O monks, if a monk] developed right view (right intention, right
        speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right
        mindfulness, right concentration), [even for the duration of a
        finger-snap, monks, such is said...]
        -------
        N: sammaasa`nkappa.m: instead of right intention: right thinking.

        Intention is usually reserved for the term cetanaa, volition or kamma
        which
        is not a factor of the eightfold Path.
        Sammaadi.t.thi and sammaasa`nkappa are together called the wisdom of the
        eightfold Path. Sammaasa`nkappa is vitakka cetasika and it assists
        paññaa in
        'touching' or striking the object of understanding so that paññaa can
        know
        it.

        46-53. Ajjhatta.m ruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati
        parittaani suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami
        passaamii'ti -- eva.msa~n~nii hoti...
        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of material forms arising from within,
        -------
        N: ajjhatta: I would eliminate arising, thus: within himself.
        I think materiality of his own body.
        He can develop kasinas taking as subject parts of his own body or
        external
        objects and then attain ruupa-jhaana.
        --------

        * appamaa.na (adj) endless, immeasurable, boundless, unlimited.
        ------
        N: here is allusion to the immaterial jhaanas, and here is the
        connection
        with the term aruupasa~n~nin.
        I consulted Dhammasangani Pali, 225: this has aruupasa~n~na. This is
        translated by PTS as: unconscious of any part of his corporeal self..

        The *a* is a negation of ruupasa~n~nin, not of ruupa, thus, not
        perceiving
        ruupa, materiality, of his own body. (See below the Atthasaalinii).
        The word unconscious seems misleading.
        ---------
        Ajjhatta.m aruupasa~n~nii bahiddhaa ruupaani passati parittaani
        suva.n.nadubba.n.naani. 'Taani abhibhuyya jaanaami passaamii'ti --
        eva.msa~n~nii hoti...

        ["O monks, if a monk, even for the duration of a finger-snap,]
        conscious of immaterial forms arising from within,
        ------
        N: immaterial forms: this is a contradiction.
        It could be: not conscious of material forms of his own body...
        This could be applied of all the following paras. These paras seem to
        refer
        to the colour kasinas of ruupa-jhaana.

        The Atthasaalinii, Co. to the Dhammasangani, explains (188) these
        'positions
        of mastery'.
        <'Not perceiving material quality in himself' means devoid of the
        perception
        of the preamble in his own bodily frame, either from not getting it,
        or from
        not wishing it.
        'Sees material qualities external to himself' means, from having
        performed
        the preamble externally in the eight devices, he sees with jhaana-
        eyes the
        external objects of these eight devices by virtue of the preamble and
        the
        extasy.
        'Limited' means not growing....
        Beautiful or ugly means pure or impure colours...>

        It is asked why it is said, Not perceiving material quality in
        himself, this
        is because his own body is not to be mastered, only external objects...
        *****