Re: Pali - Every few days - [C270] question for John K.

  • alanmcclure3
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
      John,

      I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book on
      another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations and
      including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes me
      wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
      Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask you
      what the deal is with the copyright, etc.

      Can I assume that including such translations on my website would not
      be problematic?

      Thanks for your help,

      Alan
    • nyanatusita
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        ---
        Dear John,

        I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
        Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
        translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes, etc,
        which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was not
        interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
        I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a translation.
        Mettaya,
        Bhikkhu Nyanatusita

        In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
        > John,
        >
        > I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book on
        > another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations and
        > including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes me
        > wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
        > Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask you
        > what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
        >
        > Can I assume that including such translations on my website would not
        > be problematic?
        >
        > Thanks for your help,
        >
        > Alan
      • Alan McClure
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
          Hello Venerable Nyanatusita,

          I know that I am not John, but would it be possible to send me a copy of
          this work as well? I am quite interested in it, though I guess that I am
          most interested in the many footnotes more than anything else. Of course I
          will not post them, but just use them for reference in my translation. I am
          sorry if this would have been better sent via private e-mail, but I hesitate
          to bother people off list. Additionally, thank you for the note about the
          translation regarding copyright law, it makes sense to me.

          Metta,

          Alan

          > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
          > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
          > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes, etc,
          > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was not
          > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
          > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a translation.
          > Mettaya,
          > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
          >
          > In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
          >> John,
          >>
          >> I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book on
          >> another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations and
          >> including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes me
          >> wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
          >> Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask you
          >> what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
          >>
          >> Can I assume that including such translations on my website would not
          >> be problematic?
          >>
          >> Thanks for your help,
          >>
          >> Alan

        • Gunnar Gällmo
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            --- nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> skrev:

            > Dear John,
            >
            > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of
            > Bodhinyana
            > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made
            > already a detailed
            > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with
            > many footnotes, etc,
            > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS
            > website. PTS was not
            > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
            > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as
            > it is a translation.

            The translator has author's right to the translation,
            if he is still alive or has been dead for (in several
            countries) less than 70 years, but I suppose you have
            got his agreement. As far as the Pali texts are
            citations from the Tipitaka (and I think Warder cites
            mostly from the Diighanikaaya), the authors have most
            probably been dead for more than 70 years; the only
            problem might be if Warder has written some of the
            simpler sentences himself, but then it is debatable if
            these are original enough to be regarded as a proper
            work.

            Gunnar

            gunnargallmo@...
          • nyanatusita
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
              Dear Alan,

              It is not exactly clear to me what the relation between this group and
              www.tipitaka.net is but we could put a PDF file with Brahmali's
              translation there if that is possible. He is very keen to receive
              feedback on it.
              As more people might want it it would be easier if they could download
              it from tipitaka.net rather than me having to send it to them. If you
              can arrange this then I would be happy.
              It is a translation of the Pali given in Warder's exercises. There is
              no copyright on Pali.
              Yours in the Dhamma,
              Bh. Nyanatusita

            • John Kelly
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                Dear Alan,

                That's wonderful news that you will be doing another
                translation of the Warder exercises with full
                grammatical analysis. I hope you will be posting your
                solutions to this list as you go. Please be sure to
                compare with my solutions while you are doing it too,
                and send any feedback to me via this group - I'm sure
                you'll spot many errors I may have made!

                Concerning copyright issues, as a few others have
                already noted, I don't think it's a problem since
                these are your own translations, and the text of what
                you are translating comes straight from the Tipitaka
                which is in the public domain. My solutions have been
                posted on
                http://accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/kelly/answers/index.html
                and on http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/ and nobody
                has raised copyright as an issue.

                With metta,
                John

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Dear Bhante,

                  I look forward to seeing these solutions of Ven.
                  Brahmali - especially the footnotes.

                  With metta,
                  John
                  Dear John,

                  I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of
                  Bodhinyana
                  Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already
                  detailed
                  translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many
                  footnotes, etc,
                  which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS
                  website.
                  PTS was not
                  interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
                  I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it
                  is a
                  translation.
                  Mettaya,
                  Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                • libris
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Ajahn Nyanatusita,

                    If Ajahn Brahmali's notes is digital, they could be posted on Ajahn Sujato's Sutta-Central website which is about halfway done.

                    I would love to see these notes, too.

                    Namakkara.m

                    Piya Tan]
                    Brahm Education Centre
                    Singapore

                    --- nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> wrote:

                    > ---
                    > Dear John,
                    >
                    > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
                    > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
                    > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes,
                    > etc,
                    > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was
                    > not
                    > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
                    > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a
                    > translation.
                    > Mettaya,
                    > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                    >
                    > In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
                    > > John,
                    > >
                    > > I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book
                    > on
                    > > another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations
                    > and
                    > > including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes
                    > me
                    > > wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
                    >
                    > > Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask
                    > you
                    > > what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
                    > >
                    > > Can I assume that including such translations on my website would
                    > not
                    > > be problematic?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for your help,
                    > >
                    > > Alan

                  • Alan McClure
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Dear Venerable Nyanatusita,

                      I don't know if you have managed to contact Ong Yong Peng as of yet, but I
                      have talked to her/him just today about how to post this great resource to
                      tipitaka.net, and s/he said that s/he has the intention of responding to you
                      about the issue via this list, though s/he is quite busy. So, it looks like
                      you'll soon have an answer. If you are not too busy to post to this group
                      to tell us when/if you are able to place the PDF at Tipitaka.net, I would
                      really like to share it with many other interested parties.